Viking/Saga Summer Round the British Isles?

jocap

I see that Hurtigruten is soon going to start cruises from Hamburg to the Norwegian fjords- probably cruise only, but at least there will be plenty to see.

Perhaps Viking could be looking at something similar with Scottish Forths, or glimpses of islands...

Both Fred Olsen and Saga frequently have cruises around the British Isles, pretty sure they already have some scheduled for 2021 - have a look on their websites.

Hurtigruten are also planning British Isles cruises next year with the "Maud"

All of these sail from/return to UK ports.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, nosapphire said:

Both Fred Olsen and Saga frequently have cruises around the British Isles, pretty sure they already have some scheduled for 2021 - have a look on their websites.

Hurtigruten are also planning British Isles cruises next year with the "Maud"

All of these sail from/return to UK ports.

Thank you- yes, many lines sailing from the UK cruise round the isles... CMV is a  popular one out of Newcastle which we hope to take one day...

But Viking and Saga were hoping to make special cruises now, whilst the virus is still rampant, which would only touch UK ports, and only have UK cruisers on board. They were supposed to be in discussions with the Gov... 

And Hurtigruten's cruise will probably be watched by all the world- it will sail from Hamburg, as the Germans are coping with the virus so well, and may just sail along the fjords with no stops.  

We're all hoping it will be a success. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nosapphire said:

No idea about Viking, but Saga's current track record suggests that the very last people to know anything about their cruises will be their customers.

Viking's marketing is one of the reasons for their success, so customers are well informed on new initiatives, cruises, etc.

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking's marketing is one of the reasons for their success, so customers are well informed on new initiatives, cruises, etc.

Whereas Saga's customers nowadays have to scrabble around the trade and business reports to get any information about cruises they are already booked on, let alone finding out about new initiatives.

29 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Whereas Saga's customers nowadays have to scrabble around the trade and business reports to get any information about cruises they are already booked on, let alone finding out about new initiatives.

Viking, in addition to emails, have an online TV channel, where the Chairman/Owner creates an update video message every couple of months. The TV channel has been in place since March.

I see that CC's news page is talking about the new Hurtigruten cruises from the UK starting this September. A TA was telling us about this on social media. The first one is from Portsmouth on September 3rd.

The one the TA was offering was Liverpool to Wales, Ireland, Scilly Isles and Cornwall and back to Portsmouth for £1100, on Sept 7th.

Perhaps Viking and Saga will follow suit?

Edited by jocap
Additions

Viking now has 2 ships docked in Belfast and 1 in Liverpool. Expecting to receive notification that the normal cruise schedule is cancelled for all Sept, within the next couple of days.

They received great feedback to their survey regarding UK cruises, so will be interesting to see any developments.

Saga Spirit of Discovery cruises scheduled for September and October have now vanished from their website, so seems that these are not going ahead. Whether or not they replace them with a round Uk sailing is unknown, but seems very unlikely at this stage.

Be interesting to see whether Hurtigruten go ahead with their planned September cruises in the UK. The Liverpool to Liverpool is scheduled to call at the Isle of Man, which is not currently open for tourists.

36 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Saga Spirit of Discovery cruises scheduled for September and October have now vanished from their website, so seems that these are not going ahead. Whether or not they replace them with a round Uk sailing is unknown, but seems very unlikely at this stage.

Be interesting to see whether Hurtigruten go ahead with their planned September cruises in the UK. The Liverpool to Liverpool is scheduled to call at the Isle of Man, which is not currently open for tourists.

The cruise lines also have to factor in when or if, the UK government reverses its advice to British citizens not to cruise.  Without British pax, I can't see these cruises being financially viable.

Just received another short film update from Viking's Chairman confirming the regular schedule is cancelled through the end of September. However, he did mention they have developed new procedures and are planning some test cruises on both Ocean & River ships.

Didn't confirm the region or itineraries, at this time, so will keep watching. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The cruise lines also have to factor in when or if, the UK government reverses its advice to British citizens not to cruise.  Without British pax, I can't see these cruises being financially viable.

The advice is targeted at 70plus and those with underlying health conditions. While this wipes out a lot of Saga's customers, it probably does not affect many of Hurtigruten. Plus a round-the-UK tour does remove the fear (for UK passengers) of being stuck overseas in the event of another outbreak.

Hurtigruten have also publicised on their website the procedures they have put in place to prevent infection, which look as if they have really thought about how to have a workable and detailed plan.

I'm not cruising at the minute, but I think if I was, I would have more confidence in Hurtigruten than Saga.

Think we will also start looking at Viking with an eye to the future.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nosapphire said:

The advice is targeted at 70plus and those with underlying health conditions. While this wipes out a lot of Saga's customers, it probably does not affect many of Hurtigruten. Plus a round-the-UK tour does remove the fear (for UK passengers) of being stuck overseas in the event of another outbreak.

Hurtigruten have also publicised on their website the procedures they have put in place to prevent infection, which look as if they have really thought about how to have a workable and detailed plan.

I'm not cruising at the minute, but I think if I was, I would have more confidence in Hurtigruten than Saga.

Sorry, yes, I forgot about the 70+ proviso. 

I'm still not sure how viable the cruises will be with 75% occupancy.

19 hours ago, nosapphire said:

UK government have today updated their advice, advising against cruising for all age groups.

I must be clairvoyant! 

• Like 1