Best of 2 Options

Escaper

Trying to decide between 2 Viking itineraries for the Fall of 2022.

1) France's Finest, which is the back to back Normandy and Rhone cruises;

2) Paris to the Swiss Alps.

Would appreciate feedback and thoughts on those two options.

Thanks!

Have you ever been to Europe?  Have you ever been on a river cruise?

If you've never been to Europe, I'd lean towards the Paris to Alps as it gives you a good sampling of countries and regions.  

If you consider yourself a Francophile, then the France's Finest fits the bill.  These are 2 completely different itineraries, so it would be hard to put a "best" label on either one.  Depends on what you're looking for and your interests.

I agree that it depends on what you are looking for and interests you. I have cruised most of the rivers in both of these itineraries (the Seine, Rhone & Rhine - but not the Moselle) - and can offer some thoughts.

For France's finest - this is a great itinerary if you have an interest in art (Van Gogh, Monet),  WWII history (the beaches in Normandy), history around Joan of Arc (Rouen) - all of which you will see if you sail the Seine.  On the Rhone - there is the the Palace of the Popes, the gastronomy in Lyon, lots of vineyards etc.  You are also fairly close to Nice - so extending a few days to see the French Riviera (if time permits) is a great way to end the trip.

For Paris to the Swiss Alps - you get the Moselle river.  I have not been - but it is on my to-do list.  And you get the Rhine.  Beautiful castles along the river, lots of cathedrals on the stops, the Gutenberg museum in Mainz, the old city in Strasbourg.  There is a technology museum in Speyer that is amazing.  You get time at the end in Zurich - again, I understand it is lovely (not been - but I understand it is quite expensive...) - hope to get back to Switzerland some day and visit.

On both - you get Paris.  Just a quick note, however... unless something has changed with Viking, they do not dock in Paris proper.  So, on the France's finest tour, it isn't as easy to see the sights on your own in Paris (on the other tour, you are in a hotel for 2 nights...).  If you do decide on France's Finest: check where the boat docks, and check into air with them - as they provide transfers if you book their air.  If you do your own air, ask about buying transfers.  Not sure how expensive a transfer from the airport to LePecq (which is, I believe, where the boat is...) would cost on your own.  If they have gone back to docking in Paris - this is a non-issue...

Hope this helps.

Fan

• Like 1

Fran brings up a good point about where Viking docks in Paris.  If I were doing the French itinerary, I would choose a different line that docks in Paris proper.  

Viking have four ships specifically built for the Seine which dock at Port de Grenelle, not far from the Eiffel Tower, which remove concerns about being out of town in Le Pecq. They are Viking Kari, Viking Radgrid, Viking Skaga, and Viking Fjorgyn. 

Thanks, kentchris. They are indeed the new ones. Purpose-built so that they can dock in Paris (the 125m limit by the French authorities). I would definitely go for those. The prices are higher than for the other ships I believe.

Difficult to say what is better as regards the itineraries. Fran has outlined what you see on them. Just to add the Moselle: Luxembourg city and the American cemetery, Trier - amazing old Roman stuff (the "Rome of Germany" but do not expect the Colliseum). Half-timbered houses in Bernkastel-Kues. If in Cochem - the 19th century idea of a castle that is the Reichsburg. The landscape along the Moselle is lovely.

As regards joie-de-vivre and a kind of wow feeling difficult to describe, I would go for the all French back to back. For a variety of way of life and differing countries experience I would go for Paris to the Swiss Alps.

notamermaid

Thanks for the feedback.

We did Grand European Tour last Fall.  Loved it.

There is slight overlap between Grand and the Paris to Alps, but is the best part, the scenic cruising of the Rhine. None of the cities are duplicates.

My wife has never been to Paris, so we will certainly take the extension there irrespective of which itinerary we choose.

The wonderful Cruise Director on our Grand trip spoke very highly of the France's Finest trip now that Viking can dock in Paris itself.

If anyone else has feedback, it would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks, kentchris. They are indeed the new ones. Purpose-built so that they can dock in Paris (the 125m limit by the French authorities). I would definitely go for those. The prices are higher than for the other ships I believe.

Difficult to say what is better as regards the itineraries. Fran has outlined what you see on them. Just to add the Moselle: Luxembourg city and the American cemetery, Trier - amazing old Roman stuff (the "Rome of Germany" but do not expect the Colliseum). Half-timbered houses in Bernkastel-Kues. If in Cochem - the 19th century idea of a castle that is the Reichsburg. The landscape along the Moselle is lovely.

As regards joie-de-vivre and a kind of wow feeling difficult to describe, I would go for the all French back to back. For a variety of way of life and differing countries experience I would go for Paris to the Swiss Alps.

notamermaid

A quick correction, Viking doesn't do Luxembourg City anymore.  They go to Reims France instead but still stop at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. They changed it this year after we booked. According to one rep, it breaks up the drive more. Disappointed but now I'm more worried about the whole cruise season being canceled instead of just one stopped changed🙄

Thanks for that Sturmin. Interesting change by Viking. And in my humble opinion Reims is a "level up" in sightseeing. I have fond memories of Reims. The cathedral is one of my favourites of the ones I have seen so far.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

While in Paris, try to get to the Orangerie to see Monet's canvases of the Water Lilies...  I had no appreciation of impressionist art until I saw these.  They are simply stunning. Of course, this is even more special if you can get out to Giverny to see Monet's house -  where he painted those canvases.  Giverny is often included - or an optional - with a Seine cruise, although I am sure you could do it on your own if you extend in Paris. 

If you decide on the Grand France itinerary - and have some free time while docked in Tournon - you can visit the Valrhona Chocolate factory store in Tain-lHermitage...  I am not a huge chocolate fan, but I LOVE Valrhona chocolate.  And, the store is awesome.  Lots of free samples - so you can "taste test" all the products before you buy!!

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 1

On our Seine cruise with Scenic we went to Giverney,  absolutely fantastic with much groaning on our part we got there really early we were the first in by a mile if I can find it I got a superb photo of that bridge with no one in it brilliant, we were in the house by the time the garden was heaving, here your not supposed to take photographs. When we left the question were huge. Wonderful experience. CA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.  Decided to book France's Finest for October 2022.  Celebrating 30 years of The Boss putting up with me!  Plus, she has never been to Paris, so this should be fun.

• Like 3