Solo friendly cruise line companies?

farmersfight

7 hours ago, coastcat said:

does RCL have an equivalent?

I don't believe so.  I believe most cruise lines do on-board booking perks for booking your next cruise while NCL does the CruiseNext program to offer the BOGO certificates on-board but not lock you in to a specific cruise.

32 minutes ago, hallux said:

Some offer perks, generally on-board credit.  I used 2 different TA's for NCL cruises last year, one offered no perks (AND charged a fee for booking the air since it wasn't part of the cruise) while the other gave OBC.  In some cases it's helpful to just have all the plans (cruise, air, hotel) in one confirmation email or at least coming from one place to make it easier to find.

One thing to keep in mind - you can book your cruise yourself through the website then transfer the booking to a TA within 60 days (I think).  That gives you the flexibility to be looking and snag any "hot" room you might find that you decide you want but then get the TA perk.

Thanks hallux. Great information. Re the TA's you used last year for NCL cruises, I'm guessing that you were happier with the latter (the TA that gave you OBC vs the TA that charged you a fee for booking your air).

I agree, it would be helpful to have everything consolidated in to one place. I didn't know you could book a cruise yourself, then transfer the booking to a TA to get the TA perk(s). For example, could you book an NCL cruise yourself and get the "Free at Sea" perks, then transfer the booking to a TA and get their perk(s) as well? That would be a win-win.

Again, thanks for your reply.

21 hours ago, coastcat said:

The Infinite Verandah on Celebrity’s Edge-class ships is a twist on the balcony idea. Check it out on their site: https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/veranda-stateroom

Hi again coastcat. O.k., I just got off the Celebrity website and looked again at those single Infinite Veranda cabins. Again, awesome idea and great that Celebrity has single cabins with verandas for us solo cruisers who just have to have a veranda. I also looked at more of the Edge and her sister Apex and where they will be sailing to/from.

On a side note regarding the design of these new Celebrity ships, they are definitely beautiful & luxurious but I do not like the "magic carpet" platform they have on the side of the ship (that apparently can be raised or lowered to most of the ship's decks). I know it's purely subjective, but I just think it looks ugly/boxy and out of place. To me, it kind of looks like a big painter's or window washer's scaffolding hanging off the side of the ship. I have a another aversion/dislike; the Norwegian Epic. I dislike the block of Haven suites/staterooms at the top and forward on the ship. I just think they take away from the natural ship lines and sort of look like a "tumor" on top of the ship's head. Btw, I believe my CC profile pic is the Epic, ironically. O.k., it might just be me...lol.

I forgot that Celebrity is RCL's luxury line. I'd love to cruise on the Celebrity Edge or Apex, but they may be too "fancy pants" for me, lol. I think I'm more a mainstream cruise line kind of guy. You know, where the "verandas" are called "balconies", lol. Oh well, I can dream. Still love those single Infinite Verandas that Celebrity has come out with. But, guess I'll have to go back to focusing on RCL's solo balcony cabins.

Edited by farmersfight

47 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

For example, could you book an NCL cruise yourself and get the "Free at Sea" perks, then transfer the booking to a TA and get their perk(s) as well?

The Free At Sea perks come even with a TA booking, they are not exclusive to direct-booking.  That's how I got the free/reduced air on my October cruise while booking through a TA.

I wouldn't really directly compare the TA's I used for the trips last year.  One was one other family members use all the time, and I didn't take the reduced air perk on that trip so I was on my own for booking air (either myself or through the TA) while the second TA was one I had available through work and I took a cabin that gave me the option of the reduced airfare as well as other perks. 

Now that I think of it, if I had booked the second cruise as a Studio and separate air through the same TA as the first cruise it would have been a net equal or higher cost ($40 less cruise fare {I was wrong before}, $35 airfare booking fee, no $50 OBC).  THAT is where a good TA can be helpful, and it's also helpful to give them an idea of what sailing you want but maybe not what room type.  If I had asked the first TA to price out the different options for that cruise I might have ended up in a balcony, but instead I pretty much had decided on Studio (which wasn't entirely a mistake) and asked to book that.

Something to keep in mind, at least with RCL, if you book using a TA or transfer to one, everything then goes through your TA. Getting a different price, different cabin, refunds, postponements, etc. would then need to go through them. I haven’t had much success with TA’s so I’d rather handle everything myself if I’m already doing all of the research. 

6 hours ago, hallux said:

The Free At Sea perks come even with a TA booking, they are not exclusive to direct-booking.  That's how I got the free/reduced air on my October cruise while booking through a TA.

Thanks hallux, great to hear. Sounds like a "win win". Yeah, I would look for a TA with the best perk(s) offered (i.e. high amount of OBC) and either book with them or transfer the direct booking. Then, still get the Free at Sea perks from NCL. Does this sound strategically possible?

Edited by farmersfight

8 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I have a another aversion/dislike; the Norwegian Epic. I dislike the block of Haven suites/staterooms at the top and forward on the ship. I just think they take away from the natural ship lines and sort of look like a "tumor" on top of the ship's head. Btw, I believe my CC profile pic is the Epic, ironically. O.k., it might just be me...lol.

Epic is notable as the debut of the Studio area. The bathroom design you see now in NCL Studios is the design that debuted in all cabins on Epic, with the sink in the cabin and toilet & shower as separate areas. It’s goofy for a shared cabin but works just fine for a solo where privacy isn’t an issue. I had booked a solo balcony on one of this December’s Epic sailings to the Southern Caribbean, but switched out to a different cruise (on Breakaway) the same week. Hoping it’ll actually sail but...

Epic is kind of clunky on the outside. Definitely agree on how The Haven area looks like an afterthought bolted to the top of the ship. Epic’s Thermal Spa area looks amazing, though. I think it’s the only one with an open air area.

29 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Epic is notable as the debut of the Studio area. The bathroom design you see now in NCL Studios is the design that debuted in all cabins on Epic, with the sink in the cabin and toilet & shower as separate areas. It’s goofy for a shared cabin but works just fine for a solo where privacy isn’t an issue. I had booked a solo balcony on one of this December’s Epic sailings to the Southern Caribbean, but switched out to a different cruise (on Breakaway) the same week. Hoping it’ll actually sail but...

I didn't know that Epic was the debut of the Studio area (I'm assuming the Studio lounge and studio cabins complex). Yeah, I had read some comments about the bathrooms in all the cabins on the Epic. Hhmm, not sure what I think about that. I could probably live with it but I agree with you, privacy would be an issue for shared cabins (I think at least the toilet is in an enclosed space? I would hope so, lol).

You mentioned booking a solo balcony on one of Epic's December sailings to the Southern Caribbean. I'm thinking that you mean booking a regular balcony cabin and paying the solo supplement? I didn't think Norwegian had any ships with solo balcony cabins (like RCL has). If NCL does, I better check them out, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the great information. Take care.

Edited by farmersfight

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

You mentioned booking a solo balcony on one of Epic's December sailings to the Southern Caribbean. I'm thinking that you mean booking a regular balcony cabin and paying the solo supplement? I didn't think Norwegian had any ships with solo balcony cabins (like RCL has). If NCL does, I better check them out, lol.

Right, I booked a regular balcony cabin at the single occupancy rate. No reduced solo supplement for any of my three booked NCL trips. Ugh. I’m really hoping that NCL is planning to add balcony Studios (like RCL has) for the upcoming Leonardo-class ships. 

18 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I’m really hoping that NCL is planning to add balcony Studios (like RCL has) for the upcoming Leonardo-class ships.

That would be great if NCL did that. Combined with their already very solo friendly program, new Leonardo-class NCL ships with balcony studios would be the "cat's meow".

I'm with you, even when I do cruise as a solo (whenever cruising resumes again...), I've got to have a balcony. No current NCL studio cabin (that is what, 100 sq ft?) for me. Seems like these studios are just big enough for the bed to fit in!

Not sure if I am willing to pay double (100% solo supplement) for a regular balcony cabin. That's why I'm hoping the website cruiseplum.com will be able to help me out. As I mentioned before, cruiseplum.com lists all the cruises (broken down by cruise lines) that have no/reduced supplements. They also list "hot deals" and/or "last minute deals" that apply to solo cruisers as well, and may be less expensive than cruises with no/reduced supplements.

Hopefully, this corona virus situation will settle (i.e. vaccine, herd immunity) and we can get back to solo cruising!

Edited by farmersfight

You might also look at Star Clippers if you are open to a different kind of ship experience. They have small ships (170 to 227 passenger capacity). Whenever I've looked, they have had at least 4 sailings per region with no solo supplement. They currently have over 40. I've cruised solo on a sailing with no solo supplement. It's a very friendly ship. There were a lot of other solo's and the couples were friendly to solo travelers too. No balconies (almost all of the cabins have portholes) but it's a small ship so you are never far from the deck. 

Windstar has started having some sailings with no solo supplement. Unfortunately, they don't indicate them on their website. You have to call or get a TA to find out which they are. I think that currently all the remaining 2020 sailings have no solo supplement. 

😢

Hello fellow solo cruisers! Happy "day after" 4th of July. Thought I would share the "hot deal" that I recently found on Cruiseplum.com. This deal applies to solo cruisers (I mock booked it on RCL with 1 person). The cruise is a 15 night TA from Civitavecchia (port for Rome), Italy to Galveston, Texas on Nov 26, 2020 on the Jewel OTS. The cruise stops at a port in Spain (I can't remember which one), Gibraltar, Grand Canary Island and Nassau. The base fare that I got (not including taxes/fees or gratuities) was $1,517. This works out to just a little over $100 per night! Quite a bargain for solos, eh?

The BUT in this though (and it is a BIG BUT) is this darn corona virus. If there wasn't this virus situation (or a vaccine was available), I would book this cruise in a heartbeat! However, I am not going to tie up any of my $$ (not even a deposit) with RCL with these times so uncertain. I'm starting to believe that cruising won't resume at all for the rest of 2020 😢. Anyway, just wanted to share this really good deal with you fellow cruisers.

Edited by farmersfight

22 hours ago, farmersfight said:

😢

Hello fellow solo cruisers! Happy "day after" 4th of July. Thought I would share the "hot deal" that I recently found on Cruiseplum.com. This deal applies to solo cruisers (I mock booked it on RCL with 1 person). The cruise is a 15 night TA from Civitavecchia (port for Rome), Italy to Galveston, Texas on Nov 26, 2020 on the Jewel OTS. The cruise stops at a port in Spain (I can't remember which one), Gibraltar, Grand Canary Island and Nassau. The base fare that I got (not including taxes/fees or gratuities) was $1,517. This works out to just a little over $100 per night! Quite a bargain for solos, eh?

The BUT in this though (and it is a BIG BUT) is this darn corona virus. If there wasn't this virus situation (or a vaccine was available), I would book this cruise in a heartbeat! However, I am not going to tie up any of my $$ (not even a deposit) with RCL with these times so uncertain. I'm starting to believe that cruising won't resume at all for the rest of 2020 😢. Anyway, just wanted to share this really good deal with you fellow cruisers.

My apologies. I just realized that my above post should've been posted on the thread "Post cruise supplement/solo bargains here". Maybe a CC administrator will notice this and move my above post to that thread.

[emoji22] Hello fellow solo cruisers! Happy "day after" 4th of July. Thought I would share the "hot deal" that I recently found on Cruiseplum.com. This deal applies to solo cruisers (I mock booked it on RCL with 1 person). The cruise is a 15 night TA from Civitavecchia (port for Rome), Italy to Galveston, Texas on Nov 26, 2020 on the Jewel OTS. The cruise stops at a port in Spain (I can't remember which one), Gibraltar, Grand Canary Island and Nassau. The base fare that I got (not including taxes/fees or gratuities) was $1,517. This works out to just a little over $100 per night! Quite a bargain for solos, eh?  

The BUT in this though (and it is a BIG BUT) is this darn corona virus. If there wasn't this virus situation (or a vaccine was available), I would book this cruise in a heartbeat! However, I am not going to tie up any of my $$ (not even a deposit) with RCL with these times so uncertain. I'm starting to believe that cruising won't resume at all for the rest of 2020 [emoji22]. Anyway, just wanted to share this really good deal with you fellow cruisers.

$100 for a transatlantic is certainly not a bargain, because twin sharing starts at $40 per person for trans Atlantic and trans Pacific Cruises.

$40 per person for a twin sharing inside cabin includes all port fees and taxes, but excludes gratuities

1 hour ago, drsel said:

$100 for a transatlantic is certainly not a bargain, because twin sharing starts at $40 per person for trans Atlantic and trans Pacific Cruises.

I beg to disagree. $1,517 for a solo on a 15 day cruise (about $100/day) in a balcony IMHO is an outstanding bargain.

14 hours ago, drsel said:

$40 per person for a twin sharing inside cabin includes all port fees and taxes, but excludes gratuities

You’re talking about twin sharing and the per person price for double occupancy. 

This is the Solo Cruisers forum. That means *single* occupancy, which means paying up to double that PPDO price for cabins not specifically designed for solos.

The cheapest per-night solo fare I found for 2021 transatlantics is $84/night for an inside cabin on NCL Epic. About $100/night for single occupancy in a double cabin is still pretty darned cheap. 

I’ve just cancelled my April NCL TA at $200/night for a balcony (100% solo supplement) & NCL perks, and booked a September Celebrity TP at $190/night (100% solo supplement) for AquaClass on Solstice. The former was a good price, the latter is a bargain. Well, a bargain in a solo cruise fare context, anyway. 

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

This thread seems to have "died on the vine" a bit (so to speak), so let me make a post to reinvigorate it.

I'm aware of 2 of the big, mainstream cruise lines that are solo friendly:

NCL - perhaps the leader for being receptive to solo cruiser business with their studio staterooms (usually on 3 upper decks, forward), dedicated studio lounges, dedicated ship staffers to arrange/make reservations for dining, shows, etc. I know these are on NCL's newer, larger ships.

RCL - seems to have "dipped their toes" in to the solo market, especially with their solo balcony staterooms on their Quantum class ships. Also, I'm aware RCL has solo OV and interior staterooms on these ships, as well as others (e.g. Oasis class?). I'm sure like NCL and other mainstream or upscale cruise lines, they don't have solo staterooms on their older, smaller ships.

The other mainstream big cruise line is Carnival - I haven't seen that Carnival is solo friendly at all. I think they sometimes book solos in their interior staterooms with reduced/no supplement?

For the upscale cruise lines, e.g. Celebrity - I'm not sure if Celebrity's older ships have solo balcony staterooms or any solo staterooms for that matter, but I have learned that 2 of Celebrity's newest Edge class ships have single "infinite veranda" staterooms (you can always tell you are dealing with an upscale cruise line when they use the term "veranda" instead of "balcony"). These single infinite veranda staterooms appear to be a unique innovation on their Edge class ships (Edge and Apex, I believe) where the outside stateroom wall folds away to each side, opening up the entire stateroom to the balcony. Cool!

As for the other upscale cruise lines, e.g. Princess, HAL, etc - I don't have any idea whether these cruise lines are solo friendly or not. Perhaps somebody reading this thread, with the knowledge, can make a post and let me (us) know about any other mainstream or upscale cruise lines that are also solo friendly.

I appreciate any replies/information. Stay safe, stay healthy. Thanks!

Edited by farmersfight

I actually disagree with your NCL vs RCL assessment of which is more solo friendly.  It really depends on what you are wanting from your trip and what would make your trip more comfortable.
When I cruise solo I am going for me to just be by myself. Yes, I meet people and make friends but I don’t need/want a studio lounge or someone to arrange dinners, shows for me. 
I much prefer RCL for the virtual balconies in the solo cabins which are mid-ship so I don’t feel claustrophobic and are slightly bigger than NCL.  

On 7/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, farmersfight said:

😢

That sounds good all but the Covid19. 

3 hours ago, journeymore said:

That sounds good all but the Covid19. 

Totally agree. I've been monitoring the roll call for that cruise and more and more people are cancelling. I'm pretty sure that cruise will be a no-go. With these COVID case spikes in Florida and Texas, it is not looking good for cruising for the remainder of 2020.😢

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, farmersfight said:

solo friendly.

That depends on your definition of "solo friendly".   For me, I decided Crystal was the most solo friendly because they have low solo supplements on virtually all voyages, and they treat solos well i.e. they treat solos exactly like any other passenger who is traveling with someone else.  That's what I think of as "solo friendly" - no discrimination of solos, even in small things.  I get tired of standing in line to enter or be seated somewhere and they address the pair behind me, as if we must be a group of 3.  Stuff like that.  And with solo supplements in the 25%-30% range, even a luxury line is barely more expensive than a mainstream line for me. 

21 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

That depends on your definition of "solo friendly".   For me, I decided Crystal was the most solo friendly because they have low solo supplements on virtually all voyages, and they treat solos well i.e. they treat solos exactly like any other passenger who is traveling with someone else.  That's what I think of as "solo friendly" - no discrimination of solos, even in small things.  I get tired of standing in line to enter or be seated somewhere and they address the pair behind me, as if we must be a group of 3.  Stuff like that.  And with solo supplements in the 25%-30% range, even a luxury line is barely more expensive than a mainstream line for me. 

I totally agree with your definition of solo friendly. Perhaps one more example that makes a cruise line solo friendly - NCL's provision of numerous studio cabins (in the same "neighborhood" on the upper decks, forward) on some of their newer, larger ships. Also, the provision of the exclusive studio lounge on these same ships. Plus, a ship staffer assigned to solos who will arrange/make reservations for dining rooms, shows, etc. for groups of solos.

I didn't know about Crystal being so solo friendly. Good to know if I ever want to "step up" to a luxury line. For low/no solo supplements, I refer to the website "cruisep__m". This site lists solo supplements of 25% or lower. Also, "hot deals" (for cruises > 30 days out) and "last minute deals" for cruises < 30 days out) that apply to solos as well.

Thanks for your reply and sharing some of your experience(s) sailing solo.

Edited by farmersfight

Good morning, FYI.....Silversea also offers a lower Single Supplement on various itineraries as well.......it is another

good luxury option.🙂 I have sailed with them multiple times (I always sail solo) and love the product they offer. 

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, FYI.....Silversea also offers a lower Single Supplement on various itineraries as well.......it is another

good luxury option.🙂 I have sailed with them multiple times (I always sail solo) and love the product they offer. 

Thanks for your reply. Good to know about Silversea being another "solo friendly" cruise line. Another option if I want to "step up" to a luxury line. I was about to start sailing solo then the Chinese coronavirus hit and all cruising was shut down.