EU Travel Ban

As anticipated, US is banned from EU - list to be reviewed periodicallly

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/06/28/europe-travel-us-banned-14-countries-who-can-visit/#6c73ba172ee3

UK to maintain 14 day quarantine on travelers from US

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/06/25/uk-travel-quarantine-will-end-some-europeans-not-us/#100642c57cfe

Pointsguy story

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/breaking-eu-will-indeed-ban-americans-when-borders-reopen/ar-BB15Tcd9?fbclid=IwAR1ZFO9izu6mJXmjuCgv1DCBYpehnxYTeeh0AcTzLVtRk_uhMdqeSYgJll0&ref=hvper.com

I would think at some point there will be an analysis of the effect on cruise ship openings. 

Edited by greykitty
story added

Not surprised at all. I don’t know how any cruise line could plan an itinerary under these conditions.

While I would expect periodic adjustments to these lists I wouldn’t expect a turn around for US tourists until we get our COVID 19 situation under control.

So many unknown factors, none of which are in Regent’s control (or that or any other cruise line).

When will US and foreign ports be open to them and us?

When will air travel to the ports be safe, as airlines are doing little or nothing toward distancing?

What will onboard and excursion rules be concerning masks, distancing, and the like?

How can distancing be achieved for the crew? 
How can distancing be achieved at the port terminals?

And more!

• Like 1

50 million are an easy drive to Port Canaveral, at least 20 million easy drive to Galveston, at least 30 million an easy drive to San Pedro; why should Regent care about air travel or whether international borders are open.  Distancing for port terminals and crew are being addressed.  There are plenty of us that can drive and enjoy a wonderful Regent cruise.

Richard have you even bothered to read Regent's Health Protocols?

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

W

13 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

50 million are an easy drive to Port Canaveral, at least 20 million easy drive to Galveston, at least 30 million an easy drive to San Pedro; why should Regent care about air travel or whether international borders are open.  Distancing for port terminals and crew are being addressed.  There are plenty of us that can drive and enjoy a wonderful Regent cruise.

Richard have you even bothered to read Regent's Health Protocols?

Marc

Where they will staff the ship's from? It will not be USA. So how they will get there to the ship?

Half baked ideas.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Where they will staff the ship's from? It will not be USA. So how they will get there to the ship?

Half baked ideas.

Very good point!  And my numbers are off, too; really only around 30 million within easy drive of Port Canaveral.  

Marc

edited to add:  I need to remember the "/s" when making these posts; it looks like some take me seriously. /s

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

Right now the states with the cruise ports including Florida, Texas and.California are struggling trying to contain COVID. It remains to be seen if they can turn things around. Until then I can’t see the CDC allowing any cruises to leave or return from those ports.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Right now the states with the cruise ports including Florida, Texas and.California are struggling trying to contain COVID. It remains to be seen if they can turn things around. Until then I can’t see the CDC allowing any cruises to leave or return from those ports.  

I live in Texas and unfortunately agree.  

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Don’t forget Fort Lauderdale and Miami...

and... on the west coast... the whole coast. 

Sheila - I agree with Florida and also Texas and a few other states, but, on the west coast, the only state that has rising numbers is California.  Oregon is neutral (not trending up or down) and, after a week of Washington state slowly increasing, we are back to being neutral.  

As an eternal optimist, the U.S. can turn it around (again) by the end of September.  IMO, masks and distancing need to be required - not suggested.  If we say on the path that we have been on for the last 6 weeks, the entire country will be on lock-down (something that none of us want).  

I am sickened by the loss of lives of our young people.  Today in Seattle, a 16 year old was killed and a 14 year old is in critical condition.  This was the 6th shooting (and second murder) in a little over a week.  Where are the parents?  Why are these children permitted to be out in the middle of the night - in an area of protesting?   And, in Seattle, why are the police allowing protestors to deface buildings, destroy buildings while the police leave the area?  I believe in the legal right to protest but they need to follow the law.  

Unless or until this craziness is stopped, many more of us will get Covid-19, many will die and those that live may have lifelong problems with their lungs.  For all of us, we already have the CDC that is against cruising so, if ever want to cruise again, we need to follow the protocols - even if we do not believe in them.  

Okay - rant over!

P.S.  In terms of the EU, this country has banned them from visiting the U.S. since March.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

P.S.  In terms of the EU, this country has banned them from visiting the U.S. since March.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  

I hope that the EU is not doing this to reciprocate. I wouldn't blame them for giving a temporary pause on travel from the US given the virus uptick we are having. It looks like the hope for hotter weather in curtailing COVID isn't coming to fruition.

I don't believe this is reciprocal - and if anything, IMO, the EU has been more than tolerant toward the US to date. 

As mentioned, just look at the progress of the virus in the US - and think about opening your doors to us.  I wouldn't.

• Like 4

Europe will be certainly banned for Americans months ahead or maybe even a year. I think that the closest it can get is the end of the year or next summer. It will all depend on the on the time it will take to develop a vaccine. My guess is December

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Europe will be certainly banned for Americans months ahead or maybe even a year. I think that the closest it can get is the end of the year or next summer. It will all depend on the on the time it will take to develop a vaccine. My guess is December

And what in the world do you base these WAGs on?

The EU ban is only a recommendation. It is NON Binding to member countries which can make their own rules for travel and they have.

It is not aimed at any specific country. Most of the world is on the ban.

Infection rates have to be equal or less than the EU average for two weeks I believe. This gets updated every two weeks.

Regardless, no cruising in Europe this summer and fall for the large cruise ships anyway. Probably the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Marc,

Yes, I read the thread on this forum concerning Regent’s protocols, including the comments thereon. I understood the protocols to be preliminary and somewhat generalized. I also didn’t see that they covered all the issues, such as distancing on excursions and transfers, for example. And I read the responses to the protocols wherein many posted that they would not cruise under them.

Yes, many millions live in driving distance from a major domestic port(several, in the case of Florida.) But many millions do not. And even Floridians have problems driving to embarkation ports far from their state.

I was listening to DoctorRadio today and I finally heard a doctor that was believable. Callers were asking questions like when will a vaccine be ready and will it work, will we have a 2nd wave in the fall/winter, etc. His answer was an honest, "We don't know. That's why COVID-19 is called a Novel virus. It is new and we are working on figuring it out and it will take another 6-12 months to have enough data to really understand it. It is also mutating so we are working with a moving target." 

We all hear about different risk factors, different reasons why it is spreading so fast, different tests and different possible treatments and vaccines. There are stories everywhere to support your belief or your hope, no matter where you stand on the issue. It's no wonder cruise lines and other industries can't come up with solid schedules on when they will return. One thing we do know is that this virus spreads like a wild fire. It's futile to speculate when your next cruise will be. Just a couple of months ago many believed that the summer and hotter temperatures would slow the beast down. We are now seeing the hotter parts of the US with some of the worst outbreaks including my state of Texas.  

• Like 5

pappy, 

This information is very correct! In addition, the Washington Post reported yesterday that the virus itself is mutating, so as to have a bit different behavior. It is now causing serious symptoms in much younger people. Why? Nobody knows.

Interesting you bring this up, I was listening to an infectious disease doc who said the same thing.  The only concerning part was that he stated we do not have a vaccine of norovirus or HIV, and look at how long those have been around. 

I have a question and a comment.  Now that the U.K. is not part of the EU, are they included in the ban?

When I commented in an earlier post "what is good for the goose is good for the gander", I did not mean that Europe was retaliating against the U.S. for our ban.  When Europe's Covid-19 rates were skyrocketing, the U.S. put a ban in place to keep people in affected countries from bringing the virus here.  So, it makes sense that when the U.S. cases zoomed upwards, that Europeans would want to protect their countries.  

• Like 1

Here is the latest on the list of "safe" countries to be included in the EU relaxation of travel restrictions effective tomorrow, but to be kept under regular review:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53222356

This CC Topic appears to be based on the assumption that the EU is introducing a travel ban; however the EU is in fact starting to relax the temporary travel restrictions introduced in mid March. 

All travellers entering the UK at this time are required to "self-isolate" for 14 days. This requirement is under review and may be relaxed for specific countries shortly.

16 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Now that the U.K. is not part of the EU, are they included in the ban?

For the purpose of travel within Europe, UK nationals are treated in the same way as EU citizens until the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December 2020.

Edited by flossie009

Susan, how are they calculating the infection rate of 16 per 100,000 or less? Are those active cases or new infections per day?  A number of countries (e.g., UK) do not report recoveries or active cases, just curious on how the infection rate will be measured.  16 per 100,000 in USA would be around 53,200; we have never had that many cases in a day but obviously have many more active cases.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin