EU Travel Ban

11 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

“Science”?? The experts as Dr Fauci have been all over the place. The CDC has been a joke, so I’ll take common sense over any of these mandates. 

I have the common sense to believe that if I breathe while infected I spread the virus. I have the common sense to know that if the hospitals are full there will be no room to treat me with another ailment. I have the common sense to realize the rest of the world will never open their borders if US can’t figure out how to contain the virus. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We live in Arizona.
At this stage of the game, deciding what needs to be done to suppress the COVID-19 outbreak is not rocket science. Many countries and most of Europe have dealt with this virus and achieved relative success in mitigating the effects.
We don’t need to rely on experts, politicians, next door neighbors, or CC to decide best practices.
Just do what works:
Wear masks
Social distance
Avoid gatherings

Here in the USA we are completely divided on our approach, and the consequences of that make for a dismal failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The UK just deleted 30,000 COVID-19 cases; apparently they were double counted.  Of course, the death rate is now over 15% of cases.  This is obviously not an exact science.  In USA where almost all have a unique SSN (children get at birth) it shouldn't be too hard to keep from duplicates.

Marc

On 6/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, flossie009 said:

All travellers entering the UK at this time are required to "self-isolate" for 14 days. This requirement is under review and may be relaxed for specific countries shortly

England (not the whole of the UK 🙄) is relaxing its quarantine rules for a number of countries from July 10:

BBC report

UK Government exemption list

Also, us Brits are now advised that we can make non-essential trips to some countries from tomorrow:

UK Government international travel

18 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

England (not the whole of the UK 🙄) is relaxing its quarantine rules for a number of countries from July 10:

BBC report

UK Government exemption list

Also, us Brits are now advised that we can make non-essential trips to some countries from tomorrow:

UK Government international travel

Thanks for this update, and congrats on being able to resume travel to much of the EU.  Sadly, based on the metrics that the EU is using, it will be awhile longer before US citizens can join you.  🙁

Hopefully we can turn things around here sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Sadly, based on the metrics that the EU is using, it will be awhile longer before US citizens can join you.  🙁

Only metric I have seen is infection rate of 16 per 100,000 population; do you know of another metric?  Do you know how this metric is being measured?

thanks,

Marc

38 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Only metric I have seen is infection rate of 16 per 100,000 population; do you know of another metric?  Do you know how this metric is being measured?

thanks,

Marc

As best I can understand, the rate per 100,000 is apparently a rolling 2 week average of what the EU is currently experiencing vs. to what the non-EU countries are experiencing.  I think I read that the current rate in the US is about 10 times that of the EU, so we have a-ways to go.

Cut and paste from a recent CNN piece:

The criteria requires that confirmed Covid cases in countries on the list are similar or below that of the EU's per 100,000 citizens over the previous 14 days (starting from June 15).

Countries must also have a "stable or decreasing trend of new cases over this period in comparison to the previous 14 days," while the EU will consider what measures countries are taking, such as contact tracing, and how reliable each nation's data is.

US infection rates will need to dramatically drop if Americans are to be allowed entry to European countries, just as the European tourism industry enters what are traditionally its peak months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

As best I can understand, the rate per 100,000 is apparently a rolling 2 week average of what the EU is currently experiencing vs. to what the non-EU countries are experiencing.  I think I read that the current rate in the US is about 10 times that of the EU, so we have a-ways to go.

That’s about the size of it.  For the US to make the list, the 14 day accumulation of new cases would have to be about 330,000,000/100,000*16=52,800.  Given that the US is currently at about 50,000 new cases per day, some significant work ahead.

• Like 1

Iprp,

Whilst I would love to cruise ASAP I just cannot see the point in paying a substantial amount of money for a 3-7 day cruise along with all ofthe restrictions in place. It is, after all, meant to be a holiday. 

Also, and more importantly, we have been Covid free for over 2 months here on Guernsey and I don’t want to be the selfish person to possibly bring it back to the island and infect someone. I am prepared to wait (but hopefully not to long). 

P.S. lived in Kent for 26 years great county.

• Like 2

Guerncruising

Not for us either. Not knocking anyone who wants to cruise as soon as they can, I’d rather wait and let it shakedown a bit. 
Done a few (weekend break type) mini-cruises.  Living in Kent we have easy access to Dover and Tilbury, even Southampton isn’t too far. We’ve even been to Guernsey on a couple, it’s a lovely island. The last one I went on was P&O, it was a Hen Weekend 🙀, but what was really funny (and relevant to this board) is that one of the ladies who work for Regent doing their Roadshows was also on the cruise with a different hen party. I’ve met her several times, we laughed like drains 😂.

Can you confirm that anyone reading this who wants to understand a little bit of what Guernsey is like could watch the film “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society”? While I’m sure it’s very different when you live there day to day, the overall ambiance you get when you visit seems to be well encapsulated in the film (fashion, cars and shops are a little different though 😉)

Where in Kent did you live?

4 minutes ago, lprp said:

Can you confirm that anyone reading this who wants to understand a little bit of what Guernsey is like could watch the film “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society”? While I’m sure it’s very different when you live there day to day, the overall ambiance you get when you visit seems to be well encapsulated in the film (fashion, cars and shops are a little different though 😉)

Great movie!

• Like 2

The film “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society” was mainly shot in Cornwall because our government refused to give a tax break to the company. Yes life on the island is pretty quiet, leaving cars and houses unlocked  and speed limits of 25 and 35 mph.

A neighbour, who was a child during the invasion, said that lockdown was quieter than when the Germans were here!

Used to live and work in Faversham and had a property in Whitstable. Daughters live in Ickham.

Don’t know East Malling too well but do know West Malling.

Had a House in Daniels Court, Whitstable. 

Used to sail frequently to France, Belgium, Holland and Denmark in 28’ yacht. 

Enjoy Whitstable andWheelers Oyster Bar.

May see you sometime when we visit my daughters and we visit Whitstable. 

With Canada extending the ban on foreigners (except Americans for essential reasons) entering Canada until 31 July, can I rightly assume that EU will not be accepting Canadians due to lack of reciprocity?

31 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

With Canada extending the ban on foreigners (except Americans for essential reasons) entering Canada until 31 July, can I rightly assume that EU will not be accepting Canadians due to lack of reciprocity?

Not necessarily. The EU is allowing Japan, Australia, New Zealand even though there is no reciprocity.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:30 PM, lprp said:

We’re in East Malling, but just about to move to Whitstable - it’s a small World 🌎 

Hi. I’m just down the road in West Farleigh!

Still waiting 96 days now for a refund! Not too impressed tbh. 

15 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Not necessarily. The EU is allowing Japan, Australia, New Zealand even though there is no reciprocity.

So out of the 14 countries four do not have reciprocity (five of 15 if you count China); and of the ten remaining how many usually travel to Europe with regularity (I assume the North Africa countries were added because there is a lot of cross-Mediterranean traffic).  Has EU really opened their borders in a meaningful way? 

Marc