EU Travel Ban

Our son has been serving in the military in Germany for the last 3 years. He and his family will be relocating to South Korea in early August. While the EU has evidently eased it’s restrictions on those traveling from South Korea, the reverse is not the case. Thus, under the current restrictions, they will all still have to be quarantined in an isolated barracks when their plane lands in South Korea. They are very much hoping that South Korea reciprocates before they arrive.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

With Canada extending the ban on foreigners (except Americans for essential reasons) entering Canada until 31 July, can I rightly assume that EU will not be accepting Canadians due to lack of reciprocity?

I would imagine Canada would be considering allowing EU citizens soon.

But I believe that Europe needs Canada right now more than Canada needs Europe.  Yes, we get plenty of European tourists in the summer, but I'm betting tourism is much more important in many European countries than in Canada.

I would imagine that the exemption list was entirely based on infection levels and the success of public health policies.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I would imagine that the exemption list was entirely based on infection levels and the success of public health policies.

Lots of Asian countries with much lower infection rates than Algeria, Morocco, and even Georgia.

51 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Lots of Asian countries with much lower infection rates than Algeria, Morocco, and even Georgia.

Yeah, but they are nearby, aren't they?  And there are probably lots of families at least in Morocco and Algeria who want to see their relatives.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yeah, but they are nearby, aren't they?

Wendy, you said that "the exemption list was entirely based on infection levels;" I was just stating that that was not the only factor.  It is a political list created by committee to make it appear that the EU is ready to accept "healthy" travelers when, in fact, they really don't want many outsiders at all (right now).   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, you said that "the exemption list was entirely based on infection levels;" I was just stating that that was not the only factor.  It is a political list created by committee to make it appear that the EU is ready to accept "healthy" travelers when, in fact, they really don't want many outsiders at all (right now).   

Of course, and that's smart on their part, isn't it?  I was only suggesting that there may be many family connections between countries in Europe and Morroco and Algeria. Same reason why the Atlantic Provinces in Canada are now connection by a big bubble--that just started several days ago--there are lots of family connections.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Goaty said:

Hi. I’m just down the road in West Farleigh!

Still waiting 96 days now for a refund! Not too impressed tbh. 

Just around the corner!

96 days is not good - have you spoken with them?

I have spoken to my travel agent and Regent today and Regent can only say it’s being processed!! The TA is not helpful. The girl at Regent said all staff apart from 4 have been furloughed and they are doing all NCL company refunds!! Thousands. Hence why it’s taking a bit longer. A bit!!! If it’s not here by the end of the week, the 100 day mark, I’ll be taking it further. Grrrr......

2 hours ago, lprp said:

Just around the corner!

96 days is not good - have you spoken with them?

13 minutes ago, Goaty said:

I have spoken to my travel agent and Regent today and Regent can only say it’s being processed!! 

I heard the same thing from Regent for a long time. I think it's equivalent to the phrase "the checks in the mail" which is often used to stop you from asking the same questions. When I asked where in the process my refund was, they didn't know or wouldn't tell me. The good news is that I did finally get my refund and learned the lesson not to let Regent hold onto my money during these difficult times. I won't book another cruise until there is more certainty about COVID and cruising in terms of new protocols and seeing how itineraries are impacted. I'm all about the destination and if the port experience is compromised then I'll wait until things get back to normal. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Montenegro and Serbia have been dropped off the list of countries where its citizens are allowed to travel to EU; in addition China still not allowed due to lack of reciprocity.  Therefore, now only twelve countries on the approved list.

Marc

• Like 1