Polo Shirts

wowzz

On another social network page, I have been informed that men cannot wear polo shirts in the evening on casual nights. 

Is this really the case? I find it very hard to believe.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

On another social network page, I have been informed that men cannot wear polo shirts in the evening on casual nights. 

Is this really the case? I find it very hard to believe.

It is true. The two evening dress codes are Formal and "Evening Casual".

The "Evening Casual" dress code is  (the bits in bold are my highlights).

QUOTE: Ladies may choose to wear a smart dress or a blouse or elegant top with trousers. Gentleman can wear a smart open-neck shirt and trousers. A jacket is optional, but please no polo-shirts,t-shirts,shorts or denim.

END QUOTE:

The "No polo-shirts" is a new addition to the dress code, only since they started this "Luxury Boutique" description. A tidy polo-shirt was always acceptable on the old Saga ships, so the new dress code came as a bit of a shock to us as well.

1 minute ago, nosapphire said:

It is true. The two evening dress codes are Formal and "Evening Casual".

The "Evening Casual" dress code is  (the bits in bold are my highlights).

QUOTE: Ladies may choose to wear a smart dress or a blouse or elegant top with trousers. Gentleman can wear a smart open-neck shirt and trousers. A jacket is optional, but please no polo-shirts,t-shirts,shorts or denim.

END QUOTE:

The "No polo-shirts" is a new addition to the dress code, only since they started this "Luxury Boutique" description. A tidy polo-shirt was always acceptable on the old Saga ships, so the new dress code came as a bit of a shock to us as well.

Thanks - I have to say I find that very strange. What does Saga have against polo shirts? Surely they are the basis of every middle aged man's wardrobe. 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks - I have to say I find that very strange. What does Saga have against polo shirts? Surely they are the basis of every middle aged man's wardrobe. 

I am really not sure what Saga are aiming for, as they seem to want a different clientele to the ones they already have, but are not clear about who they want to attract.

It sometimes feels as if it is being run by Hyacinth Bucket, sorry, Bouquet.

15 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I am really not sure what Saga are aiming for, as they seem to want a different clientele to the ones they already have, but are not clear about who they want to attract.

It sometimes feels as if it is being run by Hyacinth Bucket, sorry, Bouquet.

So a £5 Primark shirt is OK, but a £50 Lacoste polo shirt is banned.  Crazy!

I find this most odd as most of the lines Saga appear to be targeting - Azamara, Oceana, Viking immediately come to mind - have a smart casual dress code every night and to my knowledge accept polo shirts. I was considering booking a Saga cruise but have now changed my mind.

This rule came in quite a while ago, as we noticed it on Sapphire, so it is not just new to the new ships.

My DH quite often wore a dark polo shirt at dinner on casual nights, but did always have a v-necked pullover over it, and there were no questions asked.   Others I saw 'got away with' short sleeved polos.   However, they may want to apply this rule more strictly on the new, more elegant, ships!  Hard to say,.

I agree that a fairly plain, smart, polo looks better than a cheap 'normal' casual shirt. 

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

This rule came in quite a while ago, as we noticed it on Sapphire, so it is not just new to the new ships.

My DH quite often wore a dark polo shirt at dinner on casual nights, but did always have a v-necked pullover over it, and there were no questions asked.   Others I saw 'got away with' short sleeved polos.   However, they may want to apply this rule more strictly on the new, more elegant, ships!  Hard to say,.

I agree that a fairly plain, smart, polo looks better than a cheap 'normal' casual shirt. 

From my point of view, it's not a "deal breaker",  but it does seem a totally irrational restriction. Of all the items of clothing to ban, selecting the innocuous polo shirt is nit picking in the extreme.

It nearly was a deal breaker for us however my husband got round it by wearing a round necked cashmere jumper over a round necked t shirt. The men around us wearing shabby, stained, bobbly, shapeless cardigans didn’t object, even though they were wearing equally shabby shirts!
Singling out polo shirts to ban is ridiculous, old fashioned and completely at odds with the modern ‘boutique’ image Saga is trying to project. On the contrary is says ‘old fogey’, out of touch and nit picking. Their management needs to get out and about to see what normal people wear in restaurants these days or perhaps try a cruise on Viking or Oceania. People on cruises are on holiday for goodness sake. They want to feel relaxed and comfortable.

• Like 1

I can fully relate to this!  It is all a question of one's taste and 'fashion sense'.  A navy polo shirt, with or without a plain thin navy pullover on top, for example, looks a great deal better, to most  people's minds, than an open necked horribly patterned shirt, sometimes with the bobbly cardigan on top.  As on formal nights a chap in a well tailored two piece suit or even sports jacket with good quality shirt and tie looks better than someone in an old, ill-fitting, soup-stained dj.     Sadly you cannot legislate for taste.