Pandemic

Jackphyl

I had a very positive experience on the 9/19 Pursuit cruise. I would rate all aspects as excellent. My negative review is with respect to the company’s pandemic policy. Following the very successful 9/19 cruise I had booked another, the Baltic 6/20 golf cruise. And then the pandemic happened. Being in a high health risk component I had to cancel the cruise. I was given my deposit back in future cruise credit. That credit is worthless since my health situation would preclude future cruising based on current medical guidelines. My problem is that shortly after I proactively cancelled for safety reasons, Azamara cancelled the cruise. At that time they refunded deposits in cash. My request to now get cash rather then credit was denied. Why should I be penalized for proactive health management and denied my request. Further, I sent certified letters to the chairmen and presidents of Azamara and Royal Caribbean raising this issue. I have not even gotten the curtesy of a response. I strongly feel Azamara’s position is unconscionable. Jack Rosenstock

2 hours ago, Jackphyl said:

I had a very positive experience on the 9/19 Pursuit cruise. I would rate all aspects as excellent. My negative review is with respect to the company’s pandemic policy. Following the very successful 9/19 cruise I had booked another, the Baltic 6/20 golf cruise. And then the pandemic happened. Being in a high health risk component I had to cancel the cruise. I was given my deposit back in future cruise credit. That credit is worthless since my health situation would preclude future cruising based on current medical guidelines. My problem is that shortly after I proactively cancelled for safety reasons, Azamara cancelled the cruise. At that time they refunded deposits in cash. My request to now get cash rather then credit was denied. Why should I be penalized for proactive health management and denied my request. Further, I sent certified letters to the chairmen and presidents of Azamara and Royal Caribbean raising this issue. I have not even gotten the curtesy of a response. I strongly feel Azamara’s position is unconscionable. Jack Rosenstock

This seems to me unacceptable! Can the “small but mighty “ Azamara team respond?

This is not unique to Azamara.  Across most cruise lines (and other travel suppliers), if YOU cancel you abide by their T&C.  If THEY cancel, they may offer you a sweetener.  [And then there are those like Ponant who, even when they cancel, tear up their T&C and tell you to take their FCC or ... there is no else.]  That's why my advice for the last four months has been:  wait until the cruise line cancels.  The only exception is if waiting would cause you make a final payment, which does not seem to be the case for OP.

• Like 1

We cancelled a River Cruise due to DH health,  It was fully paid.  Two weeks later the cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  I claimed from our health insurance and was reimbursed fully.  Did you have insurance ?

By the way still waiting for a complete refund from Azamara for our cancelled June cruise.

• Like 1

I think the FCC is 100% when you cancel and 125% when they cancel, so its best to leave it as long as possible before cancelling, as it’s a better deal when they cancel. That’s why we asked for an extension of our final balance payment date.

I agree that you should check the T’s & C’s when you cancel, and can’t expect Azamara to go beyond them especially in the current circumstances.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 4

As I recall, for guests who proactively cancelled their booked, deposit-held cruises PRIOR to cancellation by Azamara, the cash refund of deposit was to be paid via credit to the bank card used for the reservation.  This was SOP, and included a forfeiture of $150 per cabin.

FCC instead of cash was/is offered by Azamara for cruises cancelled BY Azamara.

It appears that the pandemic-generated refund process has been slapped onto all cancelled cruises, irregardless of cancellation date.  I'm sorry this happened to you, Jackphyl, and hope you get resolution soon.

Two weeks ago I had an email from easyjet about my Valencia flight in July saying that although the flight wasn't cancelled I could claim a flight credit for a later date if I wasn't comfortable in flying.  I did just that. 

Today I get an email from easyjet saying the flight is cancelled. I didn't even think of trying to claim the money back. I made my choice based upon the information I had at the time and went for a flight credit. It lasts a year and I'm not even sure I will use it, but will do my best. I take responsibility for what I decided to do. 

Phil 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Two weeks ago I had an email from easyjet about my Valencia flight in July saying that although the flight wasn't cancelled I could claim a flight credit for a later date if I wasn't comfortable in flying.  I did just that. 

Today I get an email from easyjet saying the flight is cancelled. I didn't even think of trying to claim the money back. I made my choice based upon the information I had at the time and went for a flight credit. It lasts a year and I'm not even sure I will use it, but will do my best. I take responsibility for what I decided to do. 

Phil 

Of course you didn't try to claim the money back, Phil!  I am confused as to why you have shared your decision here, on this thread?  There is an unpleasant inference that other posters do not "take responsibility."

12 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

Of course you didn't try to claim the money back, Phil!  I am confused as to why you have shared your decision here, on this thread?  There is an unpleasant inference that other posters do not "take responsibility."

Well first of all I did pause in my use of the word "responsibility" because I thought it might get me in hot water, but decided to post it because it's how I feel some deal with things like this.  Decision made and then when something better comes along after they feel cheated and don't feel it's fair. 

I'm confused too.  As far as I can see  my flight transaction is exactly the same as the OP's cruise.  If I had been in their shoes with a cruise not a flight, I'd have made the same decision I came to with easyjet.  Some you win, some you lose.  

Phil

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I think the FCC is 100% when you cancel and 125% when they cancel, so its best to leave it as long as possible before cancelling, as it’s a better deal when they cancel. That’s why we asked for an extension of our final balance payment date.

I agree that you should check the T’s & C’s when you cancel, and can’t expect Azamara to go beyond them especially in the current circumstances.

Well explained Thank you

On 6/29/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

We cancelled a River Cruise due to DH health,  It was fully paid.  Two weeks later the cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  I claimed from our health insurance and was reimbursed fully.  Did you have insurance ?

By the way still waiting for a complete refund from Azamara for our cancelled June cruise.

Did have travel insurance.  It is worthless since they do not cover pandemics.