I did not realized how much I had saved!

ontheweb

I saw when I looked at my online account at my cc site that our small refundable deposit and excursion had been credited earlier this week (about a week short of 90 days from when we cancelled our July cruise.)

When DW and I took a walk this morning, I told her. The first thing she said was if we had the cruise next month she would at this time have bought a bunch of new clothes. And add to that considering all the pictures she would have taken in London before the cruise, the Norwegian fjords, and then Stonehenge on our excursion back, there would have been a lot more cost in ink and printing paper. (Actually I just bought paper for her as she is still printing pictures from Peru from last summer.) The cruise might have been the least of the total costs.😃

After finally getting my credit card refunded for cancelled cruises and other travel, I called our CC company to ask if they would forward a cash amount to me.  I mean the cruise line held my money for about 3 months, and I didn't want my credit card to keep that high of a negative balance for the same time.

The CC agent said it would take 7 to 10 business days to get a check. We had a 2 week Egypt/Nile River land cruise, a 2 week London/Norwegian fjord like the OP, a Panama cruise, and a 10 day Iceland land tour in search of the northern lights cancelled.  Throw in flights, hotels, excursions, etc and it became a significant amount.

Much better in my hands than either the travel agency, cruise line, airline or credit card companies!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Stick those refunds in some high-interest account....and count yourself lucky!  Cruising will resume one day, but it's not gonna be soon, I'm afraid!  Keep pocketing your savings!

And where would one find a "high-interest account"?  LOL.

I've saved a lot by not going to bars as much anymore. I honestly don't miss it either. Every once in a while is fun, but it's too much.

We keep our cruises frugal. Cheap air, interior room, no drink packages. We still have a blast. Obviously, not going still puts more money in my pocket. That money, I am not interested in saving though.

• Like 1

We have technically been saving, or more accurately, not touching savings to plan vacations and get home renovations done. We have not touched our free government money, paid off a cruise in November, put a deposit on another for July 2021, dropped $550 for passports and card, deposits on excursions, paid for drink packages, etc, and bought quite a few things for the cruise already. The good news, we have not touched savings. The not as good news, we have not really added much to savings either. In the end, we are probably +$9k on the good side overall ($3,000 for flooring, $4,000 for cruise, other things ~$2,000).

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Bought my very first tux before all this started. Wore it to a Christmas party, but the 4 planned cruises all have gone away. Phooey!

We did have a kinda-sorta black tie dinner at our home. That was fun.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never owned a tux nor ever had a desire to own one .

Same here.

And if I had owned a tux back when I married my wonderful wife, we would not have one of the great pictures ever. We are in her parents house after the wedding where we will spend the night before leaving for our honeymoon the next morning. My rented tux (Gray Woodstock) is on the way back upstate with my parents as it is due to be returned. DW is still in the wedding dress she made. I am in a Grateful Dead tee shirt. I am standing reading the wedding cards and she is seated and looking up at me adoringly. (I don't remember the last time I saw her look at me like that except for that picture.)

Boy, I really love that picture! BTW, the honeymoon was not a cruise. We actually only discovered cruises for our 25th anniversary. 

s

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Same here.

And if I had owned a tux back when I married my wonderful wife, we would not have one of the great pictures ever. We are in her parents house after the wedding where we will spend the night before leaving for our honeymoon the next morning. My rented tux (Gray Woodstock) is on the way back upstate with my parents as it is due to be returned. DW is still in the wedding dress she made. I am in a Grateful Dead tee shirt. I am standing reading the wedding cards and she is seated and looking up at me adoringly. (I don't remember the last time I saw her look at me like that except for that picture.)

Boy, I really love that picture! BTW, the honeymoon was not a cruise. We actually only discovered cruises for our 25th anniversary. 

s

My friend David who lives in Saugerties is the biggest Dead fan on the planet in my opinion.The second biggest DeadHead I ever knew was born in Monticello .For some reason his family moved to Schenectady when he was 2 years old.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My friend David who lives in Saugerties is the biggest Dead fan on the planet in my opinion.The second biggest DeadHead I ever knew was born in Monticello .For some reason his family moved to Schenectady when he was 2 years old.

I guess when we got married I could sing "Gone are the days".

And now that we will be celebrating our 44th anniversary next month I could sing "What a long strange trip it's been".

And it's been a unique experience  so I could sing "Sometimes the songs that we sing are just songs of our own".

and I guess I'm "stuck" in this relationship now so I could sing "Is there anything a man can't stand to lose when a woman holds him in her arms".

I think I'll stop before I make this post go on all night!

If Covid-19 had been the only thing going on, I'd have been making out well financially. Alas, the cat needed surgery, to the tune of 5 figures, so...that's gone. On the other hand, I could have had a year without Covid-19 AND a sick cat, which would have been far worse. I guess I'd be bailing on my November cruise either way, but I feel less bad about it knowing that it might not happen, anyway, or be as nice.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I will be married 54 years in January.Our wedding song was More.Very fitting I would say.

I have no idea why our honeymoon was at the hotel in the Monticello area .

Well, we were definitely not going to go on a honeymoon anywhere near Monticello.😃

We actually went to Paradise Islands in the Bahamas.

And one late editing correction from my previous post---our anniversary next month will be #43, not #44.

8 hours ago, squick64 said:

If Covid-19 had been the only thing going on, I'd have been making out well financially. Alas, the cat needed surgery, to the tune of 5 figures, so...that's gone. On the other hand, I could have had a year without Covid-19 AND a sick cat, which would have been far worse. I guess I'd be bailing on my November cruise either way, but I feel less bad about it knowing that it might not happen, anyway, or be as nice.

Ah, so no eight month emergency fund. That's too bad.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Well, we were definitely not going to go on a honeymoon anywhere near Monticello.😃

We actually went to Paradise Islands in the Bahamas.

And one late editing correction from my previous post---our anniversary next month will be #43, not #44.

Technically that was not really our honeymoon .A guy who I knew told me that he booked a room at the Palace Hotel in Manhattan for two weeks and he and his bride went to Broadway shows every evening and ate all meals in restaurants.

I wanted to do the same thing.However,my wife suggested that we sleep in our new apartment in Brooklyn and take the subway every day ,have lunch and dinner out and either go to a matinee or evening show which is what we did.We got married in January and the following July we went to the H hotel.Now I am thinking to myself,how did I get 4 weeks of vacation as that was not the norm in 1967 ?

That is yet another thing that makes what is happening so amazing in these days of COVID.  So many people have been saving tons and tons of money.  In the US, many of the lower income people are making more with the COVID bonus than they did working.  All my discretionary expenses have gone away.  Working from home means no gas, fewer clothes, no laundry, etc.  No movies, restaurants, bars and it just keeps on going.  My number 1 vendor of late has been the Home Depot as it is harder to make excuses about deferred home projects.