Cunard Scam

avalon1025

Actually you can wait for your FCC to show up and then take your chances on the availability of the trip/cabin you want..    We didn’t want to take that chance so we booked the cabin and sailing we wanted with another deposit.   It is a more expensive sailing so we won’t have another credit when our FCC comes through.    It’s your choice.

Cunard are not giving you any bonus with the 125% to "ease the pain". Until recently if you opted for a FCC you had to book a cruise by December 2021 and take it before March 2022, these cruises have already been on sale for considerable time and have significantly increased due to fluid pricing many, if not all, more than 25%. So in effect Cunard are not giving you any bonus for allowing them to keep hold of your money as an interest free loan to help ease their cash flow problem.

A scam, is a 'dishonest scheme'. I don’t see this as dishonest. It’s a business proposition.

Look at it this way, No one has their hands tied into a forced situation. You  can take your money, admittedly eventually in many cases, and run or you can transfer your booking utilising the 125% FCC. No one is forcing anyone  to do either and if some sort of fluid pricing means the overall cost of transferring has risen, and yet  the customer still wants to transfer, then that little extra, will ease the shock, somewhat.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

So if your voyage is cancelled and you want the 25% FCC you can't book a new reservation without giving another deposit.  Not about to give Cunard more cash for another booking.

I don't know if it is different because we are in the UK but we rebooked a few days ago and got the 25%. We did not pay any further deposit; the previous deposit was applied to the new booking.

We were happy with that.  

its a scam as all I wanted to do was move my deposit to a 2021 booking, it's still not done a month later yet Cunard wants another deposit to keep my booking active.   I am not about to keep loaning Cunard money.   I don't care about 25% on a cruise that's already 50% higher in price than the one I booked for 2020.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

You should have taken the refund.   There is no reason to start a thread about a scam when there is no scam!

Not got a horse in this race - but it reads like a bit of a scam to me. Why should you have to pay another deposit when they already have your money?

2 hours ago, nigelc said:

Not got a horse in this race - but it reads like a bit of a scam to me. Why should you have to pay another deposit when they already have your money?

If the ‘new’ cruise costs 50% more than the ‘old’ cruise then presumably the deposit is also 50% more? Simply moving the deposit, even with Cunard’s 25% boost will not be sufficient to cover the full deposit on the new cruise. 

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

If the ‘new’ cruise costs 50% more than the ‘old’ cruise then presumably the deposit is also 50% more? Simply moving the deposit, even with Cunard’s 25% boost will not be sufficient to cover the full deposit on the new cruise. 

Speaking with a work colleague who is trying to make a new booking, it appears that a completely new deposit is required rather than just a top-up. While they have 125% FCC from their cancelled cruise, Cunard argue that until this has been formally issued a new deposit is required to hold the new booking. 

Because we didn't want to pay the balance for a cruise that we knew would not go ahead we transferred our booking to the same cruise in 2021.  As we had paid the Cunard Fare for this year's cruise and the 'new one' was a saver fare the actual cost of the cruise is cheaper (!) BUT because 2020's cruise deposit had been a special of only 5% when we transferred over we had to top up the deposit to the usual 15%.  We didn't argue, it simply means we have less to pay when the balance is due 😃.

This was through a travel agent so I don't know if this would make any difference.