Steve, 

We are taking a 75 days cruise in Fall of 2021.  Since I have pre-existing condition with my heart, our TA has helped us take out trip insurance with a third party.  She told me that we should add to our travel insurance each time we add port excursions that would not be cancellable.

We just purchased a Safari for 4 days that costs a bit over $5000.  My husbands says we shouldn't have to add it to our travel insurance policy because we paid for it with a credit card that refund the money if we couldn't go on the 

Safari (ship didn't make the port, one of us was sick, etc. etc. etc.).  I know that works for some products (like a vase that breaks) purchased with our Master Card or American Express card, but would those cards really reimburse us for a missed port stop?

Also, I read in an earlier post on this thread where you said it is required to add everything (including wine) if it isn't refundable if trip is cancelled.

I'm inclined to add this safari excursion and others to our travel insurance policy.  What would you do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, sansterre said:

Steve, 

We are taking a 75 days cruise in Fall of 2021.  Since I have pre-existing condition with my heart, our TA has helped us take out trip insurance with a third party.  She told me that we should add to our travel insurance each time we add port excursions that would not be cancellable.

We just purchased a Safari for 4 days that costs a bit over $5000.  My husbands says we shouldn't have to add it to our travel insurance policy because we paid for it with a credit card that refund the money if we couldn't go on the 

Safari (ship didn't make the port, one of us was sick, etc. etc. etc.).  I know that works for some products (like a vase that breaks) purchased with our Master Card or American Express card, but would those cards really reimburse us for a missed port stop?

Also, I read in an earlier post on this thread where you said it is required to add everything (including wine) if it isn't refundable if trip is cancelled.

I'm inclined to add this safari excursion and others to our travel insurance policy.  What would you do?

HI Sansterre,

I'm sorry for the delay answering you.

What you need to find out is if you cancel your trip on your departure date, will you be refunded the cost of the Safari?

The next thing to find out is how the trip insurance policy you have defines an insurable trip cost.

If you have the Certificate of Coverage, you mail email it to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com  and I will look it over for you.

Steve Dasseos