Cost for family of four - summer - Med cruise RCL

Lou1584

Hello

I have read lots on this site and the boards, including tips on if a "deal" is actually a deal!

I am planning our first fly cruise and have whittled it down to RCL, med cruise Aug summer 2022. (Next years non cruising holiday is already planned!)

I have started to get a feel for August prices next year for 2 adults and 2 kids for 1 week so I have something to compare with when the dates for 2022 comes out.

Does anyone have an idea of when the dates will be out?

And would £3500 be a reasonable budget (not including spending/excursion costs).

Thanks in advance 

Lou

2 hours ago, Lou1584 said:

....tips on if a "deal" is actually a deal!

......I am planning our first fly cruise....

I have started to get a feel for August prices next year for 2 adults and 2 kids for 1 week so I have something to compare with when the dates for 2022 comes out.

Which prices are you comparing?

If the "true cost" of a cruise vacation is a major factor, don't make the mistake of comparing only the published cabin cost.

You mentioned flying. Does the cruise's published price include necessary expenses like airfare or basic necessities like beverages and/or options like tours/internet/specialty restaurants? I trust that you know there are cruise lines that include some or all of the above.

And, of course, then there's the quality of what you get for your money (e.g., food) as well as what you avoid (e.g., smokers, thundering herds of humanity et al.).

But, back to your original issue- "the deal": 

If you don't mind a suggestion, consider using "net daily rate" for comparisons. NDR = every required/necessarily optional cruise vacation expense (door to door) divided by days away from home. 

Do the math and you will be surprised.

Thanks Flatbush Flyer for the advice re; NDR. That makes total sense! When I mentioned comparing I thought I'd check out how the prices change for a particular crusie/date over time so try and work out when's best to book.

So far, from what I have read, it seems more cost effective to book earlier rather than later, especially with kids in tow. Decided Royal Caribbean but understand this is not perhaps the cheapest option. I'm not after a cheap holiday but ideally don't want to pay an over inflated price. 

When you've never been before it's tricky to know all the details about booking own flights/transfers or getting fly+cruise package etc. But slowly reading up on it all.

Thanks again for your reply.

Lou