Booze and Texas

Kosh III

We're cruising from Galveston for the first time, a 5 day.  

I've heard conflicting information and want to get clarity.

1.  Is the Cheers package  not available on the first day? When is it available?
2.  Can coffee, milkshakes and bottled water be bought on the first day with the Cheers package? 

3. If it's not available on the first day, they only charge for the remaining 4 days?
TIA

What is it with Texas and alcohol?  I remember the first day of my RCCL cruise from TX and the staff in the Diamond Lounge served alternate brands of alcohol than on the remaining 6 nights.  I was thinking it most have something to due with taxes or some kind of holdover partial prohibition type law restricting sales.

35 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

What is it with Texas and alcohol?  I remember the first day of my RCCL cruise from TX and the staff in the Diamond Lounge served alternate brands of alcohol than on the remaining 6 nights.  I was thinking it most have something to due with taxes or some kind of holdover partial prohibition type law restricting sales.

Yes the laws suck , you can drink the good booze as soon as the ship gets about ten miles out , normally about 7 pm. This goes for all the bars. 

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Texas wants their excise tax on liquor.  Foreign ships are allowed to buy liquor with no state liquor tax ("bonded stores"), which saves them a whole lot of green.  Texas requires that all alcohol sold within the state, or within the state's waters (3 miles out) must have a Texas state tax seal on it.  So, the cruise lines stock only cheaper brands, and limited quantities that have been taxed, to be served the first day.  As for the drink package, if it was available on the first day, then the entire package would be subject to Texas tax.  So, Carnival starts the Cheers on day 2, and RCI simply holds all liquor sales receipts until the ship is outside Texas waters, and then posts them to the passengers' accounts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kosh III said:

We're cruising from Galveston for the first time, a 5 day.  

I've heard conflicting information and want to get clarity.

1.  Is the Cheers package  not available on the first day? When is it available?
2.  Can coffee, milkshakes and bottled water be bought on the first day with the Cheers package? 

3. If it's not available on the first day, they only charge for the remaining 4 days?
TIA

To directly answer the questions:

1. Correct, Cheers is not available on the first day. It becomes valid at 6am the second day.

2. Nope, since you aren't paying for Cheers on the first day.

3. Correct, you are only charged for the days Cheers is valid.

I find it interesting that people think a certain state's laws are stupid depending on whose ox is gored. I'm quite sure everyone could find "stupid" laws from every state. As stated above, all liquor sold in Texas must have had state taxes paid on it. The cruise lines are the "cheap" ones here. Put the blame where it belongs! 😜

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I find it interesting that people think a certain state's laws are stupid depending on whose ox is gored. I'm quite sure everyone could find "stupid" laws from every state. As stated above, all liquor sold in Texas must have had state taxes paid on it. The cruise lines are the "cheap" ones here. Put the blame where it belongs! 😜

Yes, and Texas is the only state that collects tax on duty free liquor brought back at the pier, whether or not it is staying in Texas.

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Yes, and Texas is the only state that collects tax on duty free liquor brought back at the pier, whether or not it is staying in Texas.

Yes and that is the law as it is written and legislated . The law was written decades ago and not for the cruise lines . Legislature is open to you’re suggestions . 

I have no issue with Texas laws. It is within their rights to regulate alcohol sales, etc. I just know I won't be buying any duty free liquor on a cruise out of Galveston, especially if I'm going straight to the airport from the pier. 

21 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I have no issue with Texas laws. It is within their rights to regulate alcohol sales, etc. I just know I won't be buying any duty free liquor on a cruise out of Galveston, especially if I'm going straight to the airport from the pier. 

Not buying liquor duty free will be great loss to Cruise line  and State of Texas . Choices are tough ones these days. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, sellwingri said:

So you can still drink when you board but not upscale booze.  Wine and martinis would still be available?

Upscale booze is all relative to your personal preferences. And yes wine and martinis are available on first day .