concern about Dec 2020 cruise

grest

Final payment will be due in September.  If the cruise line cancels it, what happens to the deposit?   One way or the other we probably won't go due to COVID concerns related to DH's health, but I'm wondering if I should just wait for now.  Also, can this deposit be applied to a later cruise?  Thanks all.

I would wait until a couple of days before the final payment to make any decision.  It costs nothing to wait.  If HAL cancels they will likely try to get you to rebook on another cruise and hold onto your deposit.  Unless you ask for a refund, I don't think it will happen automatically.  

1 hour ago, grest said:

Final payment will be due in September.  If the cruise line cancels it, what happens to the deposit?   One way or the other we probably won't go due to COVID concerns related to DH's health, but I'm wondering if I should just wait for now.  Also, can this deposit be applied to a later cruise?  Thanks all.

=====

Since you said you likely will not go...

I believe you can fill out a form to get Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for your deposit to apply to a future cruise.   This is not a refund.  August 31 is the deadline.   Please check with your TA or HAL.  See extract from HAL below.

"===========

You can cancel your cruise for any reason and receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount you have paid to Holland America Line. Some restrictions apply.

Cruises Departing On Or Before  December 31, 2021

You may cancel your booking no less than 30 days prior to sailing
For bookings made by August 31, 2020 on cruises departing on or before December 31, 2021, you must complete the following to receive your Future Cruise Credit:
1. Cancel your booking
2. Submit Book with Confidence Form to request your Future Cruise Credit
3. Receive email notification that your Future Cruise Credit has been issued"

========

Edited by SFO PETER

addition.

We are assuming you are in the Penalty cancellation phase...

Do not give HAL any more money if you are not going.  FCC as well as refunds are mostly delayed.   I am waiting for FCC from March 15.  It is past one hundred days!

3 hours ago, grest said:

We have a December cruise booked and final payment was moved to September.  Cancellation fees begin August 2.  We will cancel at the end of the month if there is no announcement that December cruises will happen.  Check your cancellation dates and cancel ahead of that date.  Remember to give them a little extra time as hours have been cut again.

We've made the decision to buy last minute. This is based on several factors:

1. We've had good luck in the past with Carribbean cruises sailing from FLL in finding deals within one month of departure. Given COVID, assuming there are Carribbean cruises from FLL this December, I am assuming load factors will be low - hence more deals.

2. Same with air travel. I expect to be able to find seats on short notice.

3. Without knowing what will happen in the next 6-7 months, I am not comfortable booking and risking a deposit. 

4. All of the foregoing notwithstanding, I am getting on a ship just as soon as I can and expect to spend a lot with cruise lines as soon as they will let me. I just don't want to give them a loan in the months leading up to the eventual cruise.

• Like 2