EU Guidelines for Cruising to Resume

cbr663

1 hour ago, clo said:

So do we the public know that cruise lines have present action plans that have been denied?

First, as part of the No Sail Order the cruise lines were ordered to present those plans to the CDC. Second, since the cruise lines can't resume operating in US ports until those plans are approved by the CDC we can safely assume that plans were submitted. Since the cruise lines have "voluntarily" cancelled all US cruises for several months beyond the July 24 expiration date of the No Sail Order it's rather obvious that the CDC hasn't approved any of the plans.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

First, as part of the No Sail Order the cruise lines were ordered to present those plans to the CDC. Second, since the cruise lines can't resume operating in US ports until those plans are approved by the CDC we can safely assume that plans were submitted. Since the cruise lines have "voluntarily" cancelled all US cruises for several months beyond the July 24 expiration date of the No Sail Order it's rather obvious that the CDC hasn't approved any of the plans.

And I believe the major stumbling block is the requirement for ships to be used as hospitals and for none of the cases to utilize shore facilities.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Hi

I remember hearing this and somewhat dismissing  it. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't it be the CDC be telling the industry leaders what what minimum requirements need to be in place before cruising can start, rather than you tell us what you had in mind and we will tell you if it is good enough.

I can't imagine that standards would be different in different parts of the world, but...? Who knows. 

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Since so much is still being learned about this virus, it may make sense that a date is attached to any chart, graph or statistic.  What was once thought a trend can be altered by new data as more research is done as this virus mutates.  What was once a predominant factor a month ago may not be as relevant today.

Great idea. It's really the first thing I look for.

22 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I remember hearing this and somewhat dismissing  it. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't it be the CDC be telling the industry leaders what what minimum requirements need to be in place before cruising can start, rather than you tell us what you had in mind and we will tell you if it is good enough.

I can't imagine that standards would be different in different parts of the world, but...? Who knows. 

I'd had that same thought a while back. The owners of the lines would tend to be rather self-serving IMneverHO. I just wonder what they would do if the CDC came back and demanded masks and true social distancing.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And I believe the major stumbling block is the requirement for ships to be used as hospitals and for none of the cases to utilize shore facilities.

And if I am not mistaken, this is not included in the requirements that have been posted for the EU.

(I'm sure if I am wrong someone or maybe more than one will let us all know.)

Edited by ontheweb
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

The CDC has told the cruise lines what the requirements are, but it is up to the cruise lines to determine how best to meet those requirements.  The CDC gives general guidelines, and expects detailed action plans in response.

Of course standards are different around the world, just like the standards for cruise ship sanitation are different between the USPH and the EU, and other countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC has told the cruise lines what the requirements are, but it is up to the cruise lines to determine how best to meet those requirements.  The CDC gives general guidelines, and expects detailed action plans in response.

I'm not doubting you but just wonder how you know that, especially in this particular situation.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I'm not doubting you but just wonder how you know that, especially in this particular situation.

Hours ago in post 24 I gave you a link to the official order and told you where to look .  Here it is again:

" https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

For the beginning of the point by point list of requirements look a bit over half way down the page for this:

"Therefore, in accordance with sections 361 and 365 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264, 268) and 42 CFR 70.2, 71.31(b), 71.32(b), for all cruise ships for the period described below, it is ordered:""

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

For the beginning of the point by point list of requirements look a bit over half way down the page for this:

"Therefore, in accordance with sections 361 and 365 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264, 268) and 42 CFR 70.2, 71.31(b), 71.32(b), for all cruise ships for the period described below, it is ordered:"

I HAD missed that. Thank you. Having read it I now wonder if cruise ships will ever sail. Or if they do, I see it being a very long time before they can meet all those requirements.

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And if I am not mistaken, this is not included in the requirements that have been posted for the EU.

(I'm sure if I am wrong someone or maybe more than one will let us all know.)

I do sometimes get thing right, such as there is an ongoing spike in Nevada.

• Like 1