AQSC extends suspensions into August

diplomats

The AQSC alerts tab now contains some new information.  American Empress suspension extended to 2 August.  American Duchess to 17 August.  Suspensions for American Queen and American Countess are unchanged, but have been at 8 August for some time now.  Will any of the 2020 sailings happen?  

It’s looking more and more like we won’t be cruising this year. 😢

i guess I’d better start figuring out either cancellation or transfer to next year possibilities. Sad that the cruise we planned, on the boat we planned, is not listed for next year. 

We’re booked on the Countess the end of October on the Tennessee River, for a while now I’ve been giving it 50-50 odds of sailing.  Paid in full last December.

3 hours ago, njhoo said:

We’re booked on the Countess the end of October on the Tennessee River, for a while now I’ve been giving it 50-50 odds of sailing.  Paid in full last December.

Sadly I'd give it 90-10 against.  We switched our trip to next year.

9 hours ago, njhoo said:

We too are booked on the Countess "Best of the Tennessee" cruise end of October.  We're doing this through Road Scholar, and out final payment to them is July 22.  They have pulled the 2020 date for this program (#23278) off their website and are showing only the 2021 cruise.  They have canceled all programs through August 31, but are still telling us the 2020 trip is a go for now.  AQSC still has the 2020 cruise listed on the website (had trouble finding it...they've redesigned the website, and stuck the Tennessee trip under the "Ohio River Cruises" heading).  I'm a little troubled by AQSC's wording (underlining is mine):

Below, please find a full breakdown on each vessel and its planned timeline for resuming its 2020 operation.

The American Empress, which sails the Columbia and Snake rivers, will extend its suspension through August 2, 2020.

The American Duchess, which sails on the Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee rivers, will extend its suspension through August 16, 2020, and intends to resume operations with the August 17-23 Lower Mississippi sailing from New Orleans, LA, to Memphis, TN. 

The American Countess, the latest paddlewheeler to join the AQSC fleet on the Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee rivers, will continue as planned with the previously announced suspension through August 8, 2020.

I guess this "suspension" wording simply means "for sure, no sailing before this date; but as to when we DO expect to actually start, who knows."  Note that only the Duchess (which happens to be the only AQSC ship small enough to avoid the CDC no-sail mandate) has a target sailing date shown.

My current guess is 75-25 against.     

Hi Dave, this is Russ...we did the Dutchess together in 2018.  We’re trying to be optimistic about this, we already had a Seine River cruise canceled on us and we should be in Scotland now.  Each AQ announcement of suspension I keep with the Vegas odds of 50-50.  Recognize that once we get into September I will have to lower my expectations.  We’re traveling with another couple that we met on that AQ, this time we’re driving to Chattanooga and then the four of us will rent a van to get us to Memphis.  

I have read their statement. It looks like they are giving 125 percent FCC but do not mention a refund. Can they refuse to pay a full refund if they cancel? Would they reimburse changes in air tickets? Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, ann1bell said:

I have read their statement. It looks like they are giving 125 percent FCC but do not mention a refund. Can they refuse to pay a full refund if they cancel? Would they reimburse changes in air tickets? Thanks! 

It is my understanding that you can take either a 100% refund or a 125% FCC. It was also mentioned that if I initially took the FCC, I could change my mind and take the refund. Might check directly with AQSC on that.

10 hours ago, diplomats said:

Re the last two postings, it does appear that the language in AQSC alerts has changed, dropping mention of 100% refund.  Wonder if this is oversight or intentional??

Let me clarify my post above ... my info regarding 100% and 125% was obtained in a conversation with an AQSC representative when I was discussing my cancelled cruise, NOT the online updates they have been posting.

20 hours ago, diplomats said:

Re the last two postings, it does appear that the language in AQSC alerts has changed, dropping mention of 100% refund.  Wonder if this is oversight or intentional??

Oversight?  Doubtful. Hope I am wrong.  Here is what they posted:

For those impacted by the extended suspensions, AQSC is contacting all guests and travel agents regarding their upcoming cruises and available options. For guests that are booked during this time, the company will be providing a future cruise credit for 125 percent of the cruise fare.