Tracy Arm Fjord

NitaO

Looking at Royal Caribbean, Serenade OTS in early July sailing roundtrip from Vancouver with a large group.  Some are concerned about Tracy Arm Fjord being too icy for the ship to get into. Has this been a problem in the past? Most want to see a glacier and this is the only one it sails to. 

Yes - this is a common problem with Tracy Arm.

I have missed it several times in July. I wouldn't count on it being a "for sure". If it is too icy, they will often go to Endicott arm.

If most want to see it - you can pick a ship that has a long day in Juneau and book a small boat tour through AdventureBound Alaska:

https://www.adventureboundalaska.com

You have a better chance in a small boat getting to the glacier. Just check the times of the tour and call the office. Princess North Bound tours used to allow for this tour. Not sure if they still do - I haven't looked at port times for next year. 

I have even missed Tracy Arm with AdventureBound but they were both in May and they made the day amazing anyway. Great organization, excellent reviews - this is far better than on the ship.

Edited by Coral

If glaciers are a priority then I strongly suggest you stack the decks with additional tours.   Glacier tours are available out of each of your Alaska ports  counting on a single opportunity isn’t a good plan.     

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

In all honesty, I would expand your search for a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. At this time, RCI doesn't.

And RCI won’t be. 🤩.     

I never make recommendations on a single day of an Alaska Cruise.   It’s always going to involve compromise.     I also don’t claim Glacier Bay. Is the “must” of selections either although it gets assumed as such.  

My point of view is greatly skewed.  🤩.   I’ve probably sailed Alaska more than most and in my experience,   I’ve had that chance-  wow-  at ALL the glacier sailing areas.    Each offers something spectacular.  

There is never the possibility of replicating Alaska cruises,   Especially glacier experiences,  it’s a constant state of change 

I instead suggest looking at the entire trip, and most important-  decide for yourself- what you want out of your visit.  

3 hours ago, quack2 said:

Tracy Arm by small boat out of Juneau was so much better than visiting by cruise ship.  Not even close.

We did Tracy Arm in a small boat.  We got close enough to the glacier that when it calved, the boat rocked severely.  It was great.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On our cruise (Carnival) we have an excursion that uses a small boat to pick you up from the cruise ship and take you to the glacier for a close-up experience.  I read really good reviews of it and even though I have 14 months (SOB!) until the cruise, I already booked and paid for it to make sure I didn't miss out.  Maybe yours does something similar.  The description:

"Experience the Tracy Arm Wilderness area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers.  As the ship enters Tracy Arm, she will glide to a brief stop to allow you to board a deluxe, waterjet-powered catamaran, designed for optimum viewing and delicate maneuvering.  Bring your camera to capture the many wonders you'll discover around each bend of this serpentine, 30-mile fjord.  The onboard naturalist will inform you about the area as you trace the bases of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the bay.  Enjoy an up-close view of the North Sawyer Glacier with frequent stops to view wildlife, and hear the "white thunder" as immense ice spires break from the South Sawyer Glacier and crash into the bay."

• Like 1

Another vote for taking the small boat excursion up to the glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord if you have the opportunity.  It's expensive, but we were immensely glad to have done it.  We weren't going to do it again on our second cruise due to the cost, but we had friends with us on that cruise and wanted to experience it with them, so we sprung for it again and loved it again!

8 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

Another vote for taking the small boat excursion up to the glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord if you have the opportunity.  It's expensive, but we were immensely glad to have done it.  We weren't going to do it again on our second cruise due to the cost, but we had friends with us on that cruise and wanted to experience it with them, so we sprung for it again and loved it again!

The trip through AdventureBound Alaska is not that expensive