EU Health Protocols

mrlevin

6 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Obviously, this would help mitigate the problem of covid spikes caused by cruising.  But what a joy-kill.  How many people would want to go on a cruise if they knew they had to undergo 2 weeks of solitary (or couple) confinement when they got off the ship?

Same comments as above, doubled.  Both great ideas for controlling covid, but way more than people would do for a leisure activity.

And the expense, too!  And look at Hawaii - I love Hawaii, but not this much

Hawaii may be the most so: Desperate to keep its numbers of COVID-19 cases low, the state has discouraged visitors from the U.S. mainland, and those who do arrive must quarantine or face criminal penalties. Nearly 200 visitors have reportedly been arrested for violations (including one woman who posted pictures on social media of herself eating out in Honolulu when she was supposed to be in quarantine). Visitors also need to respond to a daily online check-in confirming their health and that they remain in quarantine.

AARP posted yesterday a listing of states and quarantines - granted, very difficult to actually enforce here, but the concept is getting stronger by the minute, I think

https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-tips/safety/info-2020/state-quarantine-guide.html

1 minute ago, howiefrommd said:

Please tell me this is a joke.  Its been a long day lol

Of course it is a joke!  Sorry I did not make that more clear.  However, these are real statements of real citizens, so take that as you will. 

Just now, johng75370 said:

Of course it is a joke!  Sorry I did not make that more clear.  However, these are real statements of real citizens, so take that as you will. 

I thought it was staged, but it looks like it really happened.  Wow, makes me more nervous every day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Please tell me this is a joke.  Its been a long day lol

I think it’s time for all you big city slickers to stop getting off on Palm Beach county, one of the loveliest places on earth. We have no rioting, safe streets and lovely people who live here. 
We love it here.. Come visit and see for yourself. Be happy to show you around. But.. don’t come now because we don’t need anymore visitors bringing the virus here. 

17 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Obviously, this would help mitigate the problem of covid spikes caused by cruising.  But what a joy-kill.  How many people would want to go on a cruise if they knew they had to undergo 2 weeks of solitary (or couple) confinement when they got off the ship?

We are not ready to cruise until this plague is under control.
However, when it is, if it required to self quarantine for two weeks after the cruise, we sure would.
After all, we have been self quarantined for five months. 

Just now, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

However, when it is, if it required to self quarantine for two weeks after the cruise, we sure would.

It is so nice that you understand where some of us are coming from.  You're right - we have been in self quarantine for months.  Two weeks is a piece of cake!

12 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Palm Beach county, one of the loveliest places on earth.

So true!!  Can’t wait to be able to be there again.  The comments made at that hearing could have come from almost any other part of the country, including my county.  Hope we can share a great moment together onboard someday soon!

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is so nice that you understand where some of us are coming from.  You're right - we have been in self quarantine for months.  Two weeks is a piece of cake!

Hey Jackie... those gloom and dormers  think we are stupid. Since they are not active Regent cruise folks, they just don’t understand how we look forward to cruising, whenever Regent starts up again. We won’t pay too much attention to them. 
Cruising is a good part of our lives... we are retired and love to meet old friends on new Regent cruises. Can’t wait to cruise again!

sheila

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

So true!!  Can’t wait to be able to be there again.  The comments made at that hearing could have come from almost any other part of the country, including my county.  Hope we can share a great moment together onboard someday soon!

So glad to hear from you. We hope you join us in a future cruise. Love to buy you a drink!

sheila

10 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I agree, and would be okay with self quarantining at home if recommended.  But "Hmm, what if quarantine was imposed on passengers on immediately exiting the ship - being transported to a holding area for those 10-14 days?" did not sound like that to me.  That is what I was responding to.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I agree, and would be okay with self quarantining at home if recommended.  But "Hmm, what if quarantine was imposed on passengers on immediately exiting the ship - being transported to a holding area for those 10-14 days?" did not sound like that to me.  That is what I was responding to.

Karen

Why are you guessing about what the rules will be, including quarantining? 

sheila

I will say I was thinking I really really bet the Norwegian government and the Hurtigruten execs wish all their passengers had been plopped into a nice tight quarantine right off the ship - no trotting home possibly passing along infection to yet more people.

Anyone really doubt regulators and health & safety planning folks aren't taking another really hard look at disembarking procedures, with an eye toward mitigating any possible transmission of the virus by passengers?

Edited by greykitty

35 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

And in reality the crew and the passengers need to  be held in a holding area for 10-14 pre cruise to be sure no one brings on the ship and infects the rest of the crew and passengers.  And what about going ashore during the cruise. If people are let on shore during the cruise for touring then everyone should be held in a holding area again for 10-14 days post cruise to be sure that one doesn't take it home from the cruise. Of course this isn't going to happen!

As far as "quarantine/or lock down" that most of us have experienced since Mar, every time we go to the Dr, the grocery store, pharmacy, out to eat at our favorite "safe" eating place or for that matter pick up something and take it home we put our self at some risk of exposure or exposing some one else. It maybe small, but it is there. What about your house keeper. Mine comes once a week and wears a mask. The other people she works for keep in touch also. 

We can dream, but I don't think we will cruise soon. And yes I am a Regent cruiser with past and future cruises on the books.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, greykitty said:

I will say I was thinking I really really bet the Norwegian government and the Hurtigruten execs wish all their passengers had been plopped into a nice tight quarantine right off the ship - no trotting home possibly passing along infection to yet more people.

You are probably right.  But they apparently didn't quarantine the Norwegian crew before hand from the report.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

“According to Ege, crew members are "closely monitored and screened daily." Non-Norwegian crew members are required to quarantine before boarding and non-European crew must undergo two negative COVID-19 tests prior to leaving their home country.”

So that could be where the exposure started.

• Like 1

I was quarantined years ago, as an adult, for mumps.  Now that was a quarantine - absolutely no stepping outside my house.  No physical contact (and this was before contactless food deliveries), and I had to check daily with the county health department.  I miss, they appear on my door step.

Compared to that, shelter in place has been a walk in the park.  And thank goodness for Comcast! LOL

Hurtigruten has been a good learning experience, I'd say, and maybe better early than with a ship visiting multiple international ports and passengers from, perhaps, all over the world.  

Still awful to have happened, but hopefully we'll all learn from it.

17 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Karen

Sheila

I am not Karen, but we are all guessing based on what we are reading worldwide and see in our own community. The doctors and scientists are also guessing, granted based on experience so far. But that is changing and has changed big time since March. 

Read today that Japan is struggling again and they are traditionally a mask wearing society. 

Edited by cwn
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

But to get home, one would have to fly or drive from the port to their home. Now you’ve come in contact with several people and may have infected them. The only way to truly quarantine is for the passengers to be directly taken somewhere local and kept lock and key. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Karen

sheila

Everyone else is guessing so why not this person? It is all a guessing game at this time. There is no safe haven once you are interacting with people especially on a closed environment.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cwn said:

“According to Ege, crew members are "closely monitored and screened daily." Non-Norwegian crew members are required to quarantine before boarding and non-European crew must undergo two negative COVID-19 tests prior to leaving their home country.”

So that could be where the exposure started.

Plus, who is to say even though they had two negative tests prior to leaving their home country, that they weren't exposed while in transit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

As has been posted, some posters have repeatedly asked not to tell them what to do (or make decisions for them).  You can state whatever opinion that you wish but kindly leave others out of it.  I have read just about every Covid-19 thread on CC since mid-March and cannot tell you how many times people make negative comments about people that are anxious to return to cruising (when the protocols are in place and the ban is lifted).  However, I do not see posts criticizing those that do not want to cruise.  I can think of plenty of negative things to say but do not post them.  The strongest comment that I've made is in the first paragraph of this post.  

I still don't understand the difference between telling someone to get a certain kind of travel agent and telling someone to take or not take a cruise, for example.  Those are all personal decisions. If there is some personal decision category that is off limits for comments, then I'd like to understand the logic behind the distinction.

As for posts criticizing people who do not want to cruise, as just one example, I would suggest doing a CC thread search for terms such as "doom and gloom".  This term has been applied often to posts or posters who either do not want to cruise, or to think that cruising will be markedly delayed, or that cruising will not be fun, etc.  If calling some out for spreading "doom and gloom" isn't a criticism, then what is it?  It certainly isn't praise.  So yes, there have been a number of posts criticizing people that do not see future (or near future) cruising in a positive light.

• Like 5