Edge and Apex

shofer

What is the consensus on these ships?  Reading the reviews, some love them but it seems experienced X cruisers are disappointed.  Our last X cruise was a TA on Silhouette in 2018 which we loved.  Our Feb/2020 on Symphony of the Seas was cancelled d/t illness.   Hubby had seen a video on Symphony and had to go on that ship.  We are active seniors and as much as we love the quiet sophistication of Celebrity, we do like the active vibe you find on Royal.    

The videos of Edge look tempting but the Infinite Veranda is not for us.  It seems that all the best parts of the ship are reserved for Suite guests.  I'm wondering how many will abandon Celebrity if they change all their ships to the Edge model.

Granted I am a new Celebrity cruiser, but I absolutely adored my cruise on the Edge in a single stateroom with Infinite Veranda in February and in no way felt that I was missing anything by not being in a suite. The only thing I didn’t have access to was their restaurant or the Retreat. All other parts of the ship were available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, shofer said:

I'm wondering how many will abandon Celebrity if they change all their ships to the Edge model.

We won't.  We loved the Edge, and we hope we get to sail on Apex before too long.  We love the "S" and "M" class also.   😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We also did 2 cruises, B2B, on Edge and loved it. Great experience with Infinite SR and loved the 4 MDR’s where there was a standard menu but added special entrees and other items based on the MDR theme. Had main dining but could change from one to another. Great bars and common areas.

We, in my opinion, are lucky to have the three Celebrity classes, each very different and varying appeals. And of course each not having exactly what you want.....life. I think many ‘experienced Celebrity cruisers’ love the Edge class and there are many who prefer one of the others. Me? I’ll cruise on all 3 and enjoy them for what they are. 

Den

• Like 7

Edge Fans here..

We enjoyed our Inf  Veranda in AQ class,  with acces to BLU and Thermal suites ; and we really enjoyed our Sunset Veranda cabin with ourside balc, .middle,  deck 7 with 4 mdr plan. Next up...Sky Suite on APEX..hopefully!

Anyone interested in these ships should do some searching around for EDGE reviews, photos and gen posts, no need to re-hash it all here!

We are no longer fans of Royal C big ships...but if that's what you like, EDGE is not really the same type ship, or experience.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 5

You will find variations here:  Love/hate and a few in between.

There is a segment of cruisers, ourselves included, that have zero desire to sail E class.  Have sailed every Celebrity ship built up until Edge.  Eden?   Magic Carpet?  Infinite Balcony? Not what interests us on a ship.

But we are mourning the scrapping of Horizon, so that will give an indication of our sentiment.  😉   Now sailing Azamara (if they survive) and Oceania lots more than =X=.  Better fit (especially since we are itinerary driven).

But E class has a number of fans that love it.  Depends on your expectations and preferences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oville said:

We too are experienced Celebrity and Edge is our favorite ship.  We’ve been on 3 sailings, one in an AQ IV and twice in suites.  Loved all 3 cruises equally and perfered the IV to a regular veranda.

Edited by Oville

We cruised on the Edge March 2019. We had a mid ship S1. I will only book another Edge class if our family wants too. If we do it will not be in Suites. I did not like Suite Class on the Edge. I have enjoy Suite Class on the other Celebrity ships. June 2021 we will be on Millie. I'm hope we like the changes made to Millie. Otherwise we will do more land vacations.

We prefer the S class ships but have been on the Edge & have another cruise booked on the Edge. We enjoyed the unique venues that the Edge offers  such as  the 4 MDRs, the Rooftop Garden, different specialty restaurants, The Club. and Eden.   

I don't have a problem rehashing the advantages or disadvantages of different class ships.  Sure beats the "When will we sail?"; "When will we get our refund?";  "What will the new normal be?" etc.,  posts.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I don't have a problem rehashing the advantages or disadvantages of different class ships.  Sure beats the "When will we sail?"; "When will we get our refund?";  "What will the new normal be?" etc.,  posts.

True! 

15 minutes ago, shofer said:

What is the consensus on these ships?  Reading the reviews, some love them but it seems experienced X cruisers are disappointed.  Our last X cruise was a TA on Silhouette in 2018 which we loved.  Our Feb/2020 on Symphony of the Seas was cancelled d/t illness.   Hubby had seen a video on Symphony and had to go on that ship.  We are active seniors and as much as we love the quiet sophistication of Celebrity, we do like the active vibe you find on Royal.    

The videos of Edge look tempting but the Infinite Veranda is not for us.  It seems that all the best parts of the ship are reserved for Suite guests.  I'm wondering how many will abandon Celebrity if they change all their ships to the Edge model.

If you want the more active vibe as found on a Royal ship that's not what The Edge ships offer. I for one love the Edge precisely because it's a quieter, more modern vibe than either Royal or the other Celebrity Ships. The amenities that the Edge class brings to crusing are more inline with a land based resort hotel in South Beach Miami than a cruiseship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

If you want the more active vibe as found on a Royal ship that's not what The Edge ships offer. I for one love the Edge precisely because it's a quieter, more modern vibe than either Royal or the other Celebrity Ships. The amenities that the Edge class brings to crusing are more inline with a land based resort hotel in South Beach Miami than a cruiseship. 

Perfect description...great food, interesting spaces, live music everywhere,  excellent showsm   very classy yet not stuffy, and a great art collectiion.

• Like 2

The Equinox was our first X cruise, and we loved it. We are booked on the Apex for April,2021. However, I still love Royal the mast, especially the Oasis class, and am booked on the Quantum Class for 2022. My other favorite is, now don't laugh, is MSC, whose ships are beautiful. Celebrity will always be on our watch list, depending on ship and price, since we've already been to most of the Caribbean ports.

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

You will find variations here:  Love/hate and a few in between.

There is a segment of cruisers, ourselves included, that have zero desire to sail E class.  Have sailed every Celebrity ship built up until Edge.  Eden?   Magic Carpet?  Infinite Balcony? Not what interests us on a ship.

But we are mourning the scrapping of Horizon, so that will give an indication of our sentiment.  😉   

Horizon!  It was our second cruise in 1994 with Zenith being the first.  Amazing how impressed we were with those 40K Ton ships.   Followed those with Century and Summit, each better than the last.   We have never sailed on an Oasis class ship although we were very happy with Vision of the Seas for two European trips.

Hence, the aborted plan for Symphony which we planned for a time where there wouldn't be many children.  

The only way we would go on Edge is if we could score a sunset veranda and then only for a week.

I have to say that the "show" in Eden is not a new idea.  This was tried back in the 90's with Cirque du Soleil on the Century class ships and only lasted a year due to severe lack of enthusiasm by the passengers.   Although the Cirque shows in the theater were pretty good. 

My cousin sailed Edge when it first premiered with her hubby's siblings in an ocean view room but according to them, they never went beyond the Martini bar and the dining room.  Had no idea what the Magic Carpet was when I asked about it and they never saw any shows.   So they were no help in evaluating the ship.

• Haha 1