Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

We have cruised extensively on both Celebrity and Royal. We are elite+ and diamond+. We have done all S class ships on X and did Edge in March 2020. For us Edge was one and done. We mostly sail in suites and did on edge.

For us it was a combination of many things, I think it for some reason is very polarizing - either you like it or you don’t. Maybe for us it was just too hyped and didn’t seem special. I just overall felt that it was too expensive for what you get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, we are the first to admit we have not sailed the E-class but our friends have and every one of them will not go back. We are Elite Plus and we also will not go back...to Celebrity. We have one X cruise left...on Flora and that will be it. When they brought out two ships that don’t have a forward facing place I can go unless I’m in a suite, don’t have any small bars/lounges where I can sit/drink/talk with friends, when they converted the wonderful Martini Bar to the size it is on Edge class ships they lost us. We are moving to Viking. That’s the cruising we want. 

 

Yes, it is more expensive. But no kids, no photographers, no smoking, no casino, no art auctions, small ships with great food and lots of ports. Sounds like heaven to us. And an included shore excursion in every port as well as free internet. By the time we added up all the things that were included (and not allowed) to worked for us. If it means we cruise less, great but we will be happier when we cruise. I don’t like the direction X is heading. Makes me sad. We never got to sail on Horizon or Zenith but we LOVED the C and M class ships and we love the S class as well. So for so many reasons, we are out of here.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Ok, we are the first to admit we have not sailed the E-class but our friends have and every one of them will not go back. We are Elite Plus and we also will not go back...to Celebrity. We have one X cruise left...on Flora and that will be it. When they brought out two ships that don’t have a forward facing place I can go unless I’m in a suite, don’t have any small bars/lounges where I can sit/drink/talk with friends, when they converted the wonderful Martini Bar to the size it is on Edge class ships they lost us. We are moving to Viking. That’s the cruising we want. 

 

Yes, it is more expensive. But no kids, no photographers, no smoking, no casino, no art auctions, small ships with great food and lots of ports. Sounds like heaven to us. And an included shore excursion in every port as well as free internet. By the time we added up all the things that were included (and not allowed) to worked for us. If it means we cruise less, great but we will be happier when we cruise. I don’t like the direction X is heading. Makes me sad. We never got to sail on Horizon or Zenith but we LOVED the C and M class ships and we love the S class as well. So for so many reasons, we are out of here.

 

Jim

I totaly agree, Jim- the E- Class has no appeal to me. I am also E+ with X- and I also don´t like the way they went. Still a great cruise line- don´t get me wrong. M- Class is my favorite - S- Class is also great- but on that class i lack the propper prommenade deck- and I also thought about trying Viking. I don´t need the Casino- and I would accept a higher fare when almost all is included in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also like the Viking look...would give it  a try if we cruise again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, shofer said:

 

 

I have to say that the "show" in Eden is not a new idea.  This was tried back in the 90's with Cirque du Soleil on the Century class ships and only lasted a year due to severe lack of enthusiasm by the passengers.   Although the Cirque shows in the theater were pretty good. 

"Bar at the Edge of the Earth" was what it was called with the Cirque style show on the M class.  The Sky Lounge was converted every night to this goofy venue where sheets were hung around the room,  there were beds under all the windows.  Really creepy characters costumed as vegetables and other indistinguishable beings.

Really was hilarious although it wasn't supposed to be.

We were drinking in Michael's (pre-suite days) on the Summit.with the cast an hour or so after they got the email that they had been fired.  They hated to lose the gig (obviously) but seemed relieved that they were getting out of the show.

We really didn't like it at all and when we saw something similar on the Edge Class we said, "um, no way."

84858002_9d454547cb_b.jpg

Edited by ECCruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shofer,

Back in January 2019 in the now gilded age of cruising....

 

We took Harmony of the Seas (sister ship to Symphony) out of Fort Lauderdale and then proceeded directly to Edge.  So we did the exact comparison that you are asking about back to back.  We enjoyed both cruises very much.  But very different ships and experiences.  Harmony is an amusement park on the ocean.  It was noisy, crowded, full of kids but we enjoyed the high energy and endless things to do.  We were happy to then board Edge as it gave us a quieter more refined experience in the second week.  On Edge you can book a Sunset Veranda and get a balcony if you want to avoid the IV.  Or a suite of course.  There is no answer to your question- just opinions here and it is really all about the cruising style that you prefer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We hated the Edge class.  We have Elite plus status so we have done many Celebrity cruises and miss everything we liked on the Solstice class ships that has disappeared. On Edge, there are no spaces for socializing, places for Captain's Club happy hours and some of the bars and lounges have disappeared or been reduced.  There is no forward lounge on the top where we had happy hours and dancing and some of the shows. There is only the night club which is like a dungeon and the fanciful aft entertainment area where seating is limited and the views are limited and only aft.  There are absolutely no forward recreation areas for ordinary people.  The whole forward part of the ship is reserved for suite people, except the gym where you can have a forward facing view from the treadmill.  The martini bar has only a few seats and it is at the end of a huge room where we could never get seats or service. So it is not the fun social atmosphere of the martini bar on the Solstice and Millennium classes. We did like the dining options, but many of them are extra cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoyed our cruise on Edge. She is a beautiful ship. The decor is great; however, to us the ship felt compartmentalized / disjointed. It was like different parts of the ship were put together. I guess a better way of saying it is the flow was off.

 

Take for example the Martini Bar. You can't walk all the way around it like you can on the Solstice Class ships where the Martini Bar is really a focal point. The way the track connects between deck 16 / 15 - if you are not careful you end up at a wall with the only option to backtrack.

 

A+ for the:

  • Magic Carpet dining (need to do it more than once during the cruise)
  • Destination Gateway - really nice
  • Retreat area / pool / bar was great concept and relaxing

Our favorite is still Equinox, but given the opportunity would sail on the Edge again. 

 

Hope this helps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

shofer,

Back in January 2019 in the now gilded age of cruising....

 

We took Harmony of the Seas (sister ship to Symphony) out of Fort Lauderdale and then proceeded directly to Edge.  So we did the exact comparison that you are asking about back to back.  We enjoyed both cruises very much.  But very different ships and experiences.  Harmony is an amusement park on the ocean.  It was noisy, crowded, full of kids but we enjoyed the high energy and endless things to do.  We were happy to then board Edge as it gave us a quieter more refined experience in the second week.  On Edge you can book a Sunset Veranda and get a balcony if you want to avoid the IV.  Or a suite of course.  There is no answer to your question- just opinions here and it is really all about the cruising style that you prefer.  

Thanks TeeRick.... I'm also wondering kinda the same thing myself as Shofer... having already been on all the Oasis class ships and having APEX booked for next April and this will also be our 1st Celebrity experience.  We have an IV room booked, and I'm more curious as to how that's all going to be compared to our usual oceanview balcony. 
I think quieter might be better, and DH & I are the kids at 46 & 53, so I think it might be the vacation we need.... of course, fingers crossed that we all have a cruise industry for vacations! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ECCruise said:

"Bar at the Edge of the Earth" was what it was called with the Cirque style show on the M class.  The Sky Lounge was converted every night to this goofy venue where sheets were hung around the room,  there were beds under all the windows.  Really creepy characters costumed as vegetables and other indistinguishable beings.

Really was hilarious although it wasn't supposed to be.

We were drinking in Michael's (pre-suite days) on the Summit.with the cast an hour or so after they got the email that they had been fired.  They hated to lose the gig (obviously) but seemed relieved that they were getting out of the show.

We really didn't like it at all and when we saw something similar on the Edge Class we said, "um, no way."

84858002_9d454547cb_b.jpg

 

A reminder of that hideous mess.  Rags from the ceiling,  filthy beds and  most views to the sea blocked.  Intrusive interaction from the creepy characters...made me cry to see a beautiful venue destroyed.    No one liked it...so bye bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hcat said:

We also like the Viking look...would give it  a try if we cruise again.

 

Coincidentally, we  received a beautiful brochure today.  Looks  like a good fit for us.

We definitely will consider a Mississipi  River cruise, Great Lakes cruise, and a few of the Carib itins...if cruising returns.  Maybe X will be history....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, hcat said:

 

A reminder of that hideous mess.  Rags from the ceiling,  filthy beds and  most views to the sea blocked.  Intrusive interaction from the creepy characters...made me cry to see a beautiful venue destroyed.    No one liked it...so bye bye.

We were on Summit in Hawaii after that experiment was over.  My exact reaction: Rags hanging from the ceiling, dirty beds and sea views blocked.  The whole lounge ambiance was ruined.   I wonder if the Eden show will be premiered on Apex also.

Such a happy difference was on Silhouette's Sky Lounge on our last trip.  We were up there every evening for pre-dinner drinks on a 15 day cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, shofer said:

What is the consensus on these ships?  Reading the reviews, some love them but it seems experienced X cruisers are disappointed.  Our last X cruise was a TA on Silhouette in 2018 which we loved.  Our Feb/2020 on Symphony of the Seas was cancelled d/t illness.   Hubby had seen a video on Symphony and had to go on that ship.  We are active seniors and as much as we love the quiet sophistication of Celebrity, we do like the active vibe you find on Royal.    

The videos of Edge look tempting but the Infinite Veranda is not for us.  It seems that all the best parts of the ship are reserved for Suite guests.  I'm wondering how many will abandon Celebrity if they change all their ships to the Edge model.

We have well over 50 cruises under our belt.  Most on Celebrity and Royal.  For the past 7-8 years, we only sail in suites.  The Silhouette and Reflection are two of our favorite Celebrity ships.  However we did enjoy the Edge.  The suite deck, restaurant and perks are the best of all Celebrity ships.  We visited a infinite veranda and didn't like it at all.  Seemed dark, narrow and confined. Missed the open air.  We love the Oasis class ships and typically take a crown loft suite- which is also excellent.  

 

The edge ship had some real positives, but also some negatives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We have been on Edge last November and we thought that she‘s the most beautiful and gorgeous ship that we‘ve been on!

The next day we took another cruise on Equinox and that was a sharp contrast.

 

Is Edge perfect? No!
 

And we like the IV cabins - not more than a traditional balcony though.

 

Edited by Yoshikitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NolaFireLI said:

Thanks TeeRick.... I'm also wondering kinda the same thing myself as Shofer... having already been on all the Oasis class ships and having APEX booked for next April and this will also be our 1st Celebrity experience.  We have an IV room booked, and I'm more curious as to how that's all going to be compared to our usual oceanview balcony. 
I think quieter might be better, and DH & I are the kids at 46 & 53, so I think it might be the vacation we need.... of course, fingers crossed that we all have a cruise industry for vacations! 
 

I cannot comment on the IV cabin as we sailed in a CS suite on Edge.  You will hear a variety of opinions (many, many threads and posts if you search).  Some hate the concept, some love it.  There seems to be no middle ground.  I am hoping that this thread does not turn into a hijacked discussion on IV's all over again.   There is plenty of info here on CC about the IV.  Hope you get to see for yourself on APEX in 2021.  Happy cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailed Edge last Spring when the price of Aqua class was "reasonable" as it was booked when Edge first became available.  Year-plus later, the week we sailed, prices had doubled.  Sailed Reflection this past February...before the pandemic.  Much better ship, layout, crew, amenities and significantly lower costs.  Edge is a joke for a cruise ship.  Dark passageways, strange corridors (one a replication of the black silicon forests on Altair 4), poorly designed spaces (especially the customer service area), etc.  Did like the Aqua veranda cabin - except for the heated mirror in the bathroom (don't get too close).  Prices on board were outrageous for what you got.  In comparison, Reflection was a wonderful upgrade and a return to a real cruise ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 1:32 PM, NolaFireLI said:

Thanks TeeRick.... I'm also wondering kinda the same thing myself as Shofer... having already been on all the Oasis class ships and having APEX booked for next April and this will also be our 1st Celebrity experience.  We have an IV room booked, and I'm more curious as to how that's all going to be compared to our usual oceanview balcony. 
I think quieter might be better, and DH & I are the kids at 46 & 53, so I think it might be the vacation we need.... of course, fingers crossed that we all have a cruise industry for vacations! 
 

As you have probably read the IV is more akin to in Oceanview with a Large window that opens or a Sunroom with an open window than a traditional Balcony room. It depends on what you normally use the balcony space for. If you normally use it to sun on then the IV won't work for that purpose. If you enjoy getting fresh air and having great open views then it can work for you. Disregard the complaints about the ship controlling the window. It happens infrequently and only when they're about to wash the windows or there's inclement weather expected near term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It happens infrequently and only when they're about to wash the windows or there's inclement weather expected near term.


And when they are going to be locked for cleaning a) it is almost always while the ship is in port and b) they give you notice the night before in whatever their daily paper is called. (I know it is not Navigator - that is DCL. I just cannot remember what X calls them.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We had no disruption from the window locking.  Closed during 2 rain storms and promptly opened when it cleared.

 

Window cleaning in port..but we were not sitting in our cabin!

 

For us a non issue! We also preferred having the windows closed anyhow..We used it as a sun room, chairs  faced inward.

 

Contrast with our oversized Sunset Veranda..small overhang.  Limited use when sunny and no use in rain...but great unobscured sunrises,  sunsets and stars at night

 

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, shofer said:

We were on Summit in Hawaii after that experiment was over.  My exact reaction: Rags hanging from the ceiling, dirty beds and sea views blocked.  The whole lounge ambiance was ruined.   I wonder if the Eden show will be premiered on Apex also.

Such a happy difference was on Silhouette's Sky Lounge on our last trip.  We were up there every evening for pre-dinner drinks on a 15 day cruise.

EDEN show was very toned down and mostly on the ground .by our second cruise on her.( Nov 2019) . The  elevated stage platform was taken down..much safer.  The show was still stupid and audience interaction insipid..but most folks tolerated it ok...we left.

 

Good news EDEN is not all that show..great variety of music there!

Looking forward to APEX

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 5:23 PM, hcat said:

 

Coincidentally, we  received a beautiful brochure today.  Looks  like a good fit for us.

We definitely will consider a Mississipi  River cruise, Great Lakes cruise, and a few of the Carib itins...if cruising returns.  Maybe X will be history....

Maybe Viking will also consider cruising the Great Lakes.  Visit the delights of Duluth, etc.  

All kidding aside, I think this might be an itinerary that would appeal to visitors from the EU.  Get to see the center of the USA in the summer months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrast with our oversized Sunset Veranda..small overhang

 

We are booked in 9312 and I have read different stories as to how much overhang there is in the SV's.

Is it 50 % covered or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went onto Edge as naysayers, and my husband still isn’t a huge fan, mostly because of the disjointed feel that someone else described and the 2-3 dead ends on the upper decks - he actually felt that they would be unsafe in an emergency.

 

I though loved the walking track and Eden is a wonderful space any time of day. A lot of people complain about the Martini Bar noise, but we only found it super noisy during the bartender show, and that only lasted about 20 minutes. The music was occasionally loud, but not consistently. My only real complaint is that instead of several small bars inside the ship, Edge basically has 2 big bars. To get a quiet drink before dinner we had to learn to go against the crowd, or go to Elite happy hour which was less crowded. We figured that out and had a marvelous time - our last cruise for many months.

 

We were in an inside cabin, so can’t comment on IVs, except from the hallway door peeking in, it made the room look big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

We went onto Edge as naysayers, and my husband still isn’t a huge fan, mostly because of the disjointed feel that someone else described and the 2-3 dead ends on the upper decks - he actually felt that they would be unsafe in an emergency.

 

I though loved the walking track and Eden is a wonderful space any time of day. A lot of people complain about the Martini Bar noise, but we only found it super noisy during the bartender show, and that only lasted about 20 minutes. The music was occasionally loud, but not consistently. My only real complaint is that instead of several small bars inside the ship, Edge basically has 2 big bars. To get a quiet drink before dinner we had to learn to go against the crowd, or go to Elite happy hour which was less crowded. We figured that out and had a marvelous time - our last cruise for many months.

 

We were in an inside cabin, so can’t comment on IVs, except from the hallway door peeking in, it made the room look big.

The fact that Edge, and Apex, have 2 big bars actually is a plus when you consider that when cruising starts again, social distancing will still be in affect.


I do agree with you about the IV rooms. When I first saw them on a cabin crawl they did appear to be larger due to the expansive view and amount of light coming in through the window.

Edited by C-Dragons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is Elite happy hour? Used to be in the sky lounge which has disappeared.  There was no equivalent space on Edge. The social aspect of happy hour is lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...