Small Claims Considered

cruzsnooze

One of my refunds Princess says was processed and returned to my credit card June 2. My Citibank says they never received it. Princess refuses to help my further stating the matter is finished . Since the deposit for this cruise was $200 small claims is the option where  I'm heading. I am also owed two other amount under the small claims limit and one refund of over $12,500.  I'm out of patience and Princess won't help with the credit they said they sent.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

Can you first dispute the $200 with Citibank?  If Princess stated a refund/return date of June 2, create a new dispute for the amount using June 2 as the transaction date being disputed and link it back to whatever date the original deposit was made.  

You are not disputing the deposit, you are disputing the refund of that deposit, which was June 2. 

Edited by cherylandtk

1 hour ago, cherylandtk said:

Can you first dispute the $200 with Citibank?  If Princess stated a refund/return date of June 2, create a new dispute for the amount using June 2 as the transaction date being disputed and link it back to whatever date the original deposit was made.  

You are not disputing the deposit, you are disputing the refund of that deposit, which was June 2. 

agree with above. Make sure hey refunded it to your current credit card. One time they refunded to my cancelled credit card. 

• Like 4

It is and was the only credit card I ever used and the info from Princess verified it was the right phone number.

I called Citibank and they won't let me dispute it since from their end there is no refund, they say call Princess and ask them to send it again which Princess won't do. I already did a dispute back in April and lost because Princess told them the refund was coming. I can't dispute the same thing twice my bank tells me even though Princess stated I was owed the amount.  I'm between a rock and a hard place on this particular $200 deposit.  The other cruise that Princess cancelled has 3 sections to it and Princess acknowledges the 2 cash refund amounts which are correct  (less then $5000 so I can file a small claim)  and a FCC of 125% which is also correct. I'm more then annoyed that I've been waiting since March 15

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Did that but it didn't help because I believe Princess did not FUND the refund.

File the claim you mention in first post 

• Like 2

It shouldn't have to come to a lawsuit over something Princess acknowledges it owes. After this is over and I have used my FCC I will be looking to sail with Viking and Azamara and Lindblad (who is my favorite).

• Like 1

So I know someone on this board who did file in small claims court. They also lived in LA area which is where it has to be filed.

After they filed, an attorney contacted them and offered to settle the lawsuit for what she wanted. He thought what she asked for was fair and agreed to settle. If I remember the situation - they had a balcony cabin and the balcony was unusable. They filed for the financial difference between an outside cabin and a balcony. 

3 hours ago, Coral said:

So I know someone on this board who did file in small claims court. They also lived in LA area which is where it has to be filed.

After they filed, an attorney contacted them and offered to settle the lawsuit for what she wanted. He thought what she asked for was fair and agreed to settle. If I remember the situation - they had a balcony cabin and the balcony was unusable. They filed for the financial difference between an outside cabin and a balcony. 

Seems that an attorney would be more expensive then the difference between a balcony cabin VS an outside cabin.  My amounts combined are about $1100 cash without the large FCC so an attorney would eat up all that and I'd end up with little or nothing. 

5 hours ago, Coral said:

After they filed, an attorney contacted them and offered to settle the lawsuit for what she wanted. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Seems that an attorney would be more expensive then the difference between a balcony cabin VS an outside cabin.  My amounts combined are about $1100 cash without the large FCC so an attorney would eat up all that and I'd end up with little or nothing. 

You don't pay for an attorney in small claims court, apparently Princess did not want to lose in court.  I'd file 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

It shouldn't have to come to a lawsuit over something Princess acknowledges it owes. 

Well, okay. The title of this thread you started says you are considering small claims.
Maybe someone else can offer options. Sorry you are having so much trouble with this. 

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I called Citibank and they won't let me dispute it since from their end there is no refund, they say call Princess and ask them to send it again which Princess won't do. I already did a dispute back in April and lost because Princess told them the refund was coming. I can't dispute the same thing twice my bank tells me even though Princess stated I was owed the amount. 

Citibank's statements notwithstanding, they're still your best and easiest option for a refund.  You might get a judgment in small claims court, but there is no guarantee you'll be able to collect.

You say Citibank would not credit your account because Princess indicated a refund was coming.  That did not happen, so you should be able to reopen that case.  Call Citibank and ask to speak with a supervisor.

We charged airfare and a Vrbo apartment in London for a trip in June 2020 to our Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  We cancelled the apartment under the terms of our rental agreement.  The apartment owner stalled and Vrbo was no help in getting our full payment refunded.  Also the airline cancelled our flights and offered us vouchers on future flights...refusing a refund.  I called Chase and they credited my account for both within seven days.

Banks are being inundated with refund requests right now, but Citibank owes you their attention in your matter.  Give it another try with them and escalate the issue until you speak with someone with the authority to say yes.  Good luck!!

• Like 1

Have run into same problem with purchased seats on United. These were for a flight connected to a Princess cruise. The seats were purchased through United. After finally being told by United that refund had been made several months ago. My credit card Co. not having any record of a refund , I am now letting them handle. At least I am finally getting some of my money back from Princess from August and Sept. cruises that were cancelled.

• Like 1

Another option is to write to the the CA Department of Consumer Affairs in Sacramento. Include all the details and attachments as necessary. Send a copy to Princess Cruises legal department. Don't expect an answer from the State, but you might receive some response from Princess. I did this a number of years ago with good results. You could do this in parallel with other actions.

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

They did not hire an attorney. After Princess was served notice, Princess had an attorney contact this individual and offered to settle outside of small claims court.

The attorney realized what the couple was asking for was reasonable.

• Like 1

I would go to elliott.org.  Christopher Elliott is a consumer advocate and helps people having trouble with refunds.  His site lists the proper people and their addresses to write to about your problem.  There is also a form online for you to fill out for his team to help.  Good luck.

Edited by dickinson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

They did not hire an attorney. After Princess was served notice, Princess had an attorney contact this individual and offered to settle outside of small claims court.

The attorney realized what the couple was asking for was reasonable.

Perhaps the point was that Princess may have spent about as much on attorney bills as the rebate would have been in the first place.

I once filed a small claims action against a national corporation, they didn't show up in court and I was awarded the full amount requested.  I mailed (certified) the award to their legal department and got my check in a week.  Good Luck !

• Like 1

Have you filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? There are a number on there against Princess currently and Princess seems to respond to them in a few days - almost all appear as resolved on there. It might kick them into action? I am at day 115 of waiting on a March sailing - Princess told me it was processed April 29th. Nothing received. Princess most recently told me it was processed June 23rd. Nothing received. I put in a dispute with my two credit cards back in May so at least have temp credits for the full amount. I believe the reps often look at the wrong things and give wrong info, or simply make it up to get you off the phone. Maybe try asking for customer relations - though I believe nothing that comes from them anymore so refuse to even call at this point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Have you filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? There are a number on there against Princess currently and Princess seems to respond to them in a few days - almost all appear as resolved on there. It might kick them into action? I am at day 115 of waiting on a March sailing - Princess told me it was processed April 29th. Nothing received. Princess most recently told me it was processed June 23rd. Nothing received. I put in a dispute with my two credit cards back in May so at least have temp credits for the full amount. t.

So essentially you are stating exactly what's happening to me, Princess says they processed the refund but nothing was received.  I will go look at the better business bureau, great idea, TY. 

cruzsnooze;  if you have social media accounts you could post your complaints about Princess on their facebook page and  twitter account.   major companies do not  like negative press;  by posting on their social media pages with negative reviews; this usually gets their attention. 

If they want to make an issue of it, for anything larger, you gave up the right to sue in favor of binding arbitration see 15(b)(ii):

https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html

"with the sole exception of claims brought and litigated in small claims court"

Now the interesting twist is "who pays the aribrator's fees" - google for DoorDash or this story: https://www.reuters.com/article/legal-us-otc-massarb/chegg-tries-a-new-way-to-avert-mass-arbitration-cancel-users-contracts-idUSKBN24333W