European rules for restart of cruising.

4 minutes ago, steveweese said:

Yes it makes the CDC look bad. I have no experience with the CDC but I do with the FDA. When there is a problem they tell you to make a plan to fix it and we will see if we approve it. 

How does this make the CDC look bad. They have their hands full taking care of important COVID matters. Sorry, but cruising is not that important. 

Plus, this agency, EU Healthy Getaways is not on par with a major health organization like the CDC.  

Again, cruising isn't that important. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

How does this make the CDC look bad. They have their hands full taking care of important COVID matters. Sorry, but cruising is not that important. 

Plus, this agency, EU Healthy Getaways is not on par with a major health organization like the CDC.  

Again, cruising isn't that important. 

Not trying to start a war here but cruising is part of the economy and the economy sucks right now..

When people take cruises it effects lots of people and in a good way  

• Like 3

Hopefully ok to quote a poster from another forum.  I suspect the EU had a good look at the CDC's request to cruise lines.  Question is, whether any of the cruise lines and/or CLIA as the trade association have submitted plans for approval?

43 minutes ago, steveweese said:

Yes it makes the CDC look bad.

The CDC does that all on their own. 🙂

This plan looks good to me...since there's almost nothing to it.  Instead of the Broadway Spectacle, they're going with the Dinner Theater approach.  Neither will make much of a difference, so why go to all the trouble.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

The guidelines specifically underlines that EU governments have nothing to do with these 49-page proposals.

Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_YrHS_2cI

Happy cruising!

This is a footnote from the cover-page of the document:

The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, steveweese said:

Not trying to start a war here but cruising is part of the economy and the economy sucks right now..

When people take cruises it effects lots of people and in a good way  

The impact of cruising on the overall world economy is very small!  It has a big impact on a very small number of places.  If the cruise industry would disappear tomorrow, other travel options would quickly fill the void.  Since CC is all about cruising and most of the posters (including me) are big cruise fans we tend to push our own pro cruise agenda.  While DW and I continue to book cruises (we still have 4 in the next year that have not been cancelled) we also have our doubts.  I wonder if the cruise industry can even survive COVID-19.  So here is my ugly reality.  If cruising means adhering to all kinds of strict social distancing rules, wearing masks everywhere on a ship, spending hours being cleared at each port (for health checks), being forced into long quarantines anytime a single person (passenger or crew) gets sick, etc.   can the industry survive?  

Hank 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The impact of cruising on the overall world economy is very small!  It has a big impact on a very small number of places.  If the cruise industry would disappear tomorrow, other travel options would quickly fill the void.  Since CC is all about cruising and most of the posters (including me) are big cruise fans we tend to push our own pro cruise agenda.  While DW and I continue to book cruises (we still have 4 in the next year that have not been cancelled) we also have our doubts.  I wonder if the cruise industry can even survive COVID-19.  So here is my ugly reality.  If cruising means adhering to all kinds of strict social distancing rules, wearing masks everywhere on a ship, spending hours being cleared at each port (for health checks), being forced into long quarantines anytime a single person (passenger or crew) gets sick, etc.   can the industry survive?  

Hank 

Probably not. The bigger question is can the world economy and especially that of the US the way things are going survive this crisis.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I wonder if the cruise industry can even survive COVID-19.  So here is my ugly reality.  If cruising means adhering to all kinds of strict social distancing rules, wearing masks everywhere on a ship, spending hours being cleared at each port (for health checks), being forced into long quarantines anytime a single person (passenger or crew) gets sick, etc.   can the industry survive?  

Do you remember the old TV game show The $64,000 Question?  That's where we are now.  What's the answer to that question?  Those shows were "rigged".  But, the answers we will get from the cruise lines won't be, I am sure.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I wonder if the cruise industry can even survive COVID-19. 

With all I read I wonder the same. It seems to have obstacles that can't realistically be overcome

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Probably not. The bigger question is can the world economy and especially that of the US the way things are going survive this crisis.

Yeah. And other countries took the economic hit but got COVID more/mostly under control.  We're losing them both.

15 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Yes, it can.

At least it will be brought back to 1970s: smaller ships, higher quality, high prices. No floating apartment buildings/

Happy cruising!

That would make this guy a very happy cruiser.  DW and I love small ships and would always prefer to be on a 200 passenger vessel over a 5000 passenger monster or the seas.   But it would destroy much of the industry that relies on monsters of the seas and economies of scale.   On the other hand, the end of monster ships would help return ports to their previous charm.  No more "Diamonds International" signs?  Perhaps there is a God :).  I am old enough to remember driving through Charlotte Amalie with very little traffic, hiking Cinque Terre with no other people in sight, etc.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

Yeah. And other countries took the economic hit but got COVID more/mostly under control.  We're losing them both.

Yes, rather unfortunate.

I received an e-mail that you had responded to me with a question from one of my posts, but both the post by me and the response seem to have disappeared. (And though I received the e-mail notification, it was not on the notifications on top of the page.)

Anyway the answer is he taught Spanish and was Cuban.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank 

There's lots of industries that wouldn't completely end the world if they went away. Some would have a bigger impact than others.

However, cruising impacts a LOT of people and jobs. There is no denying that. There's a good number of people who fly, get a hotel, get a taxi/rideshare, etc. There are the people who support the ship such as longshoremen and food supply. There's obviously the crew on the ship. There are tour companies, vendors, restaurants, all not getting any business. I could keep going. Most of these people are not getting government unemployment checks sent to them either.

Go tell the people of the Caribbean islands or Philippines not to worry that cruising is gone, and that it's impact is small. Charts and blogs from the internet don't tell the real stories of real struggles.

Will people find other travel? Probably. However, many people would still be devastated. Imagine all of those businesses that depend on thousands of travelers at the ports each day. How does that get replaced?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Will people find other travel? Probably. However, many people would still be devastated.

"devastated." That's such a strong word for something like leisure travel. I have to wonder if those who are "devastated" have ever had any real tragedies in their lives. Just seems so melodramatic. Perhaps this will give some people some perspective.

26 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

How does that get replaced?

Everything eventually get replaced. If they didn't we would still be using horse and carriage, communicating by telegram and computers would be people. I don't think cruising will die but if it changes it changes. Philippines has endured much change they are more adaptable than you think and the Caribbeans have already been looking at being less dependent on the cruising economy, this might accelerate that movement. Change is scary and there are people who lose out and others who will win from this. That is just life 💁

9 minutes ago, clo said:

"devastated." That's such a strong word for something like leisure travel. I have to wonder if those who are "devastated" have ever had any real tragedies in their lives. Just seems so melodramatic. Perhaps this will give some people some perspective.

I think you misread, the poster is talking about those who work in and around the industry not those who take holidays😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think you misread, the poster is talking about those who work in and around the industry not those who take holidays😉

Maybe they'll reply. I reread it before posting. I suppose could go either way.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

I think you misread it too.  Joebucks was talking about economic impact.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clo said:

I definitely read it as those whose jobs are dependent on the cruise industry would be devastated.