Will Regent Change Final Payment Due Dates?

Just noticed on an Oceania thread that some final payment dates have been formally changed to 90 days.

Has anyone heard about Regent doing likewise perhaps?

Maybe some well connected posters could check and see if anything is afoot along those lines.

We have a final payment coming due soon for a January 2021 cruise, and like many of us are pondering what we will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

18 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

Just noticed on an Oceania thread that some final payment dates have been formally changed to 90 days.

Has anyone heard about Regent doing likewise perhaps?

Maybe some well connected posters could check and see if anything is afoot along those lines.

We have a final payment coming due soon for a January 2021 cruise, and like many of us are pondering what we will do.

That would be an interesting change and for many a welcome announcement. I see that Oceania still has their "cancel for any reason up to 48 hour" offer up, while Regent is now offering "cancel for any reason up to 15 days". With various countries still not opening up and not planning for a while, I can see this uncertainty linger for quite a while. Especially thinking about Australia and NZ (see earlier discussions), paying full price now as final payment without having some knowledge what would/could happen is difficult. Blacksmith, I assume you are booked on a cruise down under considering the time frame :-) 

However, if Oceania is offering a later full payment date, would Regent follow suit ? Being part of the same big company, yet under different management to some extend, still doesn't mean much in todays environment.  If Oceania is offering later payment, Regent should follow, otherwise, passengers will be upset. But, as both lines offer 100% FCC when passenger cancel, would one line prefer to have the full payment sooner and thus have the cash flow ? 

Wonder what will happen. 

We are booked on the Voyager Cape Town to Rio 1-5-21.
Probably won’t happen, but Regent will likely wait until after final payment to cancel.
I believe that in order to maintain the option of a full cash refund I would be required to request the refund after Regent cancels the cruise.

Sometimes Regent follows Oceania, sometimes Oceania follows Regent and other times they do their own thing (after all, they have different CEO's).  I would not count on Regent changing the date for final payment.  IMO, we are fortunate that we can cancel and get FCC's.  Under normal circumstances, many people would have to pay a penalty for canceling.

In normal circumstances, I understand collection of final payment 150 days before the cruise.  But these are not normal circumstances.  Regent has cruises for which it is collecting final payment where it knows already it will have to alter the itinerary substantially, if not cancel the whole cruise.  For example, Explorer's holiday cruise from Singapore to Sydney has two stops in Australia in Dec 2020 that it will not be making.  And who knows if it will be permitted to dock in Sydney in Jan 2021?  Making the final payment date 90 days prior to sailing as Oceania as done or 60 days as other lines are doing (such as Princess for all sailings departing through 30 April 2021) seems like a reasonable thing for Regent to do in such an uncertain climate.

• Like 3

I think it’s worth having your TA ask to have the final payment date extended.  We just made final payment on a Mariner sailing in October; had an issue with a referral credit, and they were flexible with extending the final payment.  

• Like 1

Sometimes Regent follows Oceania, sometimes Oceania follows Regent and other times they do their own thing (after all, they have different CEO's).  I would not count on Regent changing the date for final payment.  IMO, we are fortunate that we can cancel and get FCC's.  Under normal circumstances, many people would have to pay a penalty for canceling.

Tc2, Under “normal” circumstances I would jump on Regents generous offers of FCC.
I don’t fault anyone that chooses this option, but I prefer to have as much control as possible in these times.
I won’t cancel the one cruise we currently have booked, but if Regent is going to cancel I would like for them to act as soon as they know.
We don’t always cruise with Regent, but when we do they are wonderful [emoji847]
Bob

1 minute ago, blacksmith said:

Tc2, Under “normal” circumstances I would jump on Regents generous offers of FCC.
I don’t fault anyone that chooses this option, but I prefer to have as much control as possible in these times.
I won’t cancel the one cruise we currently have booked, but if Regent is going to cancel I would like for them to act as soon as they know.
We don’t always cruise with Regent, but when we do they are wonderful emoji847.png
Bob

Bob,

While we like the FCC's, I do understand where you are coming from.  I have to wonder if South Africa (one of my favorite places on earth) will be open in January?  We are more or less in the same position with our January cruise to New Zealand and Australia (that we paid for with our FCC's from our March canceled cruise).  

I do not believe that Regent knows any more than we do in terms of what ports will be open in January.  If the U.S. stays on the same path that they are on, the world will likely be closed to us.  On the other hand, if we start doing the right things, we could be in good shape by then.  

I haven't followed the most recent cancelation policies.  So, if Regent changed the cancelation date to 90 days prior to the cruise and you decided to cancel then, would you receive a cash refund?  I thought that one had to pay in full and then have Regent cancel the cruise in order to get a refund.  

Jackie

• Haha 1

The penalty date and the final payment date are often the same (at least in the US) but not necessarily.  IMO, Regent would be more likely to extend the final payment date than they would the penalty date.  This could lead to the situation, which I think is already the case in the UK, that you would have a 15% penalty UNLESS you make the final payment.  Then, under Regent Reassurance, you could get a 100% FCC.  The 100% cash refund would not be available unless Regent cancels, which is generally after you made the final payment.

So, unless you don't mind losing your 15% deposit, extending the final payment deadline without extending the penalty schedule does not help much IMO.

• Like 1

Bob,

While we like the FCC's, I do understand where you are coming from.  I have to wonder if South Africa (one of my favorite places on earth) will be open in January?  We are more or less in the same position with our January cruise to New Zealand and Australia (that we paid for with our FCC's from our March canceled cruise).  

I do not believe that Regent knows any more than we do in terms of what ports will be open in January.  If the U.S. stays on the same path that they are on, the world will likely be closed to us.  On the other hand, if we start doing the right things, we could be in good shape by then.  

I haven't followed the most recent cancelation policies.  So, if Regent changed the cancelation date to 90 days prior to the cruise and you decided to cancel then, would you receive a cash refund?  I thought that one had to pay in full and then have Regent cancel the cruise in order to get a refund.  

Jackie

Thanks for your comments.
What I was trying to get at is if Regent cancels prior to final payment, I could get a 100% cash refund. Including insurance, flight deviation fees, and TA fees.
When they wait until after final payment, there is a lot more money on the table. Albeit I can still get a full cash refund.
Changing from 150 days to 90 days gives an extra 2 months for Regent to formally cancel without having my money in their account. Obviously if they don’t cancel during that 2 month period, I’m back to square zero.
Maybe I’m over thinking this with all the extra time on my hands. I’m starting to confuse myself.
I just want to get on a cruise ship 🤯

21 hours ago, johng75370 said:

I think it’s worth having your TA ask to have the final payment date extended.  We just made final payment on a Mariner sailing in October; had an issue with a referral credit, and they were flexible with extending the final payment.  

Thanks, johng.  I had wondered about that.  I will give our TA a call.

Take care,

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, Travelcat2 said:

TC2, with respect - at the moment FCC appear to be quite an uncertainty as nobody knows

1. When cruising resumes

2. If cruising resumes - will the ships be accepted in all ports, some of the ports or none?

3. Will cruisers be able to travel to their cruise destinations or will be restricted by quarantines in their country of residence (i.e. 14 days on arrival)?

With these questions in mind, even125% FCC is not as attractive option as it may seem.

When we took the option of 100% FCC in March - i was confident we will be able to cruise in October 2021 (18 months later). Now - not so confident at all ...

But...remain hopeful still!

Edited by Kiwifromkiev
  • Like 2

Please try to stay hopeful.  After all, there is a high probability that there will be a vaccine by the end of the year (or early next year).  This leaves plenty of time to get the vaccine to everyone.  We are very positive about our October, 2021 cruise.

As of today, I am doubtful about our November 2020 and January 2021 cruises.  It is very disappointing.  We really wanted to revisit New Zealand - we were there (land vacation) many years ago and loved it.  

It will take us some time to think about where we want to use our FCC’s next.  On one hand we would like to rebook both cruises for 2021/2022 but we want (and need) a cruise in either December or January.  If not a cruise, we are looking at some land trips.  In other words, we just need to “get the heck out of Dodge”.  

While I am not positive at the moment, I’ll put my rose colored glasses back on tomorrow.  I cannot let negativity rule our lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

...This leaves plenty of time to get the vaccine to everyone.  

Everyone?  The world's estimated population is 7.8 billion.  Perhaps you mean 300 doses for the USA.  As a non-American, I wonder where that leaves me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Everyone?  The world's estimated population is 7.8 billion.  Perhaps you mean 300 doses for the USA.  As a non-American, I wonder where that leaves me.

Unfortunately, about 1/3 of the people in the U.S. (according to one report) do not want to get the vaccine.  I’ve heard that there is an anti-vaccine movement in the U.K. as well (but have no verification of that).  

The last that I heard, the U.K. could have up to 1 billion doses by the end of the year.  Shortly thereafter the U.S. should have one or two approved vaccines.  Israel and India are also not far behind.  So, what I was suggesting is that there will likely be enough vaccine for anyone that wants it before October, 2021 (when their cruise if scheduled for).

Of course, I could be wrong but with so many people dying and economies going down the toilet, it seems that the vaccine has become a #1 priority in many parts of the world.  Hopefully the predictions will come to fruition.

• Haha 1

It will be the minority who will spoil things. Not taking up a vaccine, or wearing a mask, or simply ignoring instructions. 

We are 70+ days Covid free, our borders are closed until 1st September at the earliest. Our Director of Public Health has said that she has provisionally purchased enough vaccine for half of the population and will roll it out with health care workers first, care homes etc. second and all over 50’s after that. She has not said which vaccine she is going to use but is looking at December. One would hope that everyone takes it up and is not anti. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

It will be the minority who will spoil things. Not taking up a vaccine, or wearing a mask, or simply ignoring instructions. 

We are 70+ days Covid free, our borders are closed until 1st September at the earliest. Our Director of Public Health has said that she has provisionally purchased enough vaccine for half of the population and will roll it out with health care workers first, care homes etc. second and all over 50’s after that. She has not said which vaccine she is going to use but is looking at December. One would hope that everyone takes it up and is not anti. 

I could not agree with you more.  Too many people in the U.S. just don't "get it".  As you have done, we could stop this virus in its tracks IF we followed guidelines.  In our state, we are required to wear masks unless we have a medical reason.  So, all someone has to do is tell the manager of the restaurant/store that he/she has medical issues (no proof is needed) and they don't have to wear a mask.

Ignorance is not only sad but it is killing people.  A young man attended a "Covid-19 party" and got the virus.  Before he passed away he said "I thought that it was a hoax".

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I could not agree with you more.  Too many people in the U.S. just don't "get it".  As you have done, we could stop this virus in its tracks IF we followed guidelines.  In our state, we are required to wear masks unless we have a medical reason.  So, all someone has to do is tell the manager of the restaurant/store that he/she has medical issues (no proof is needed) and they don't have to wear a mask.

Ignorance is not only sad but it is killing people.  A young man attended a "Covid-19 party" and got the virus.  Before he passed away he said "I thought that it was a hoax".

Totally agree- the covid party story is AMAZING!!!!! How can anyone with 3 brain cells in alignment after the past 5 months , not have taken this on board ( unless they were in a coma ) The trouble is the young from this sort of party will spread it again quickly.

• Like 2

My major concern are the asymptomatic people. Just over a week ago Jersey opened it’s borders and had 2 asymptomatic arrive by sea and 2 by air. Today, they have just announced 4 more two of them arriving from outside Jersey, again, asymptomatic. 

How do you deal with something you cannot see? 

Slight thread swerve here, but...  Blacksmith, do you pay fees to your travel agent for helping you plan a cruise that he/she is collecting commission on from the cruise line?

Slight thread swerve here, but...  Blacksmith, do you pay fees to your travel agent for helping you plan a cruise that he/she is collecting commission on from the cruise line?

Pam

We use one of the largest online travel agencies that specialize in luxury cruises. The initial deposit mostly goes to Regent with a separate charge for insurance . The TA charges a small non refundable fee (less than $30). To answer your question, no. I don’t pay the TA directly for planning or assistance.