Warm Layup Ports

Hanoverian

Here is an interesting article from "The Maritme Executive" about the small ports that cruise ships are using for lay ups.  If I remember rightly, Eastport, Maine, as a lay up port was previously discussed elsewhere on this board.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-ships-arrive-in-unusual-ports-for-warm-layup

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

Here is an interesting article from "The Maritme Executive" about the small ports that cruise ships are using for lay ups.  If I remember rightly, Eastport, Maine, as a lay up port was previously discussed elsewhere on this board.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-ships-arrive-in-unusual-ports-for-warm-layup

Need to go somewhere.  Quite a few still docked in Miami.  Lets see where they go next as it does not seem cruses will start till at least the end of the year. 

You can look at cruisemapper.com to find any ship.  Hard to tell by looking at this map, but Manila Bay may have the most ships.  I guess it's cheaper to use a tender boat and traveling to your 1st embarkation port rather than flying  most of the crew to the 1st embarkation port.  

When the Regent Seven Seas Explorer came to Fernandina Beach a month or so ago, it was announced that the crew would not be getting off the ship.  I do not know if that has changed but I feel sorry for the crew if they can see the beach and not use it-the port is silted and dirty.  OTOH, we have a surge in cases like the rest of Florida so that they may be safer on board.

Here in Glasgow we are playing host to all three of Azamaras R ships (they didn't get permission to lay up in Greenock due to local fears that crew would bring in Covid.....that from an area that is one of Scotlands virus hotspots....go figure!).  Whilst Glasgow is still a centre for shipbuilding the Clyde hasn't been extensively dredged for years and bringing in all 3 ships meant carefully coordinating tides, and using a pair of tugs to bring each ship up river, where they are berthed at the King George V dock not far from the city centre.  https://images.app.goo.gl/57qzfy98FiAeP8wC7

All four ships of the Fred. Olsen fleet are also laid up in Rosyth, just outside Edinburgh (although they do use both Greenock & Rosyth as turnaround ports).

12 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

Here in Glasgow we are playing host to all three of Azamaras R ships (they didn't get permission to lay up in Greenock due to local fears that crew would bring in Covid.....that from an area that is one of Scotlands virus hotspots....go figure!).  Whilst Glasgow is still a centre for shipbuilding the Clyde hasn't been extensively dredged for years and bringing in all 3 ships meant carefully coordinating tides, and using a pair of tugs to bring each ship up river, where they are berthed at the King George V dock not far from the city centre.  https://images.app.goo.gl/57qzfy98FiAeP8wC7

All four ships of the Fred. Olsen fleet are also laid up in Rosyth, just outside Edinburgh (although they do use both Greenock & Rosyth as turnaround ports).

Thanks for posting this great video.  Azamara is the only other cruise line on which I have sailed, and I enjoyed all three of those cruises very much.  Our two-week Norwegian cruise almost four years ago was a particular delight; those “R” ships are a perfect size for sailing in the land of many fjords.

• Like 2