EU recommends

govanguy

8 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Sadly this means the end for cruising as we know it. The restrictions make cruising just a hassle. Not for us. 😳

Nor us I’m afraid 

EU has not recommended anything.  Here is a footnote from the bottom of the document’s cover page:

The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.

• Like 3

There is a great article in today’s daily Telegraph by the co-owner of the majestic line which is a small Scottish line offering cruises around the west coast. The Co-owner is a consultant epidemiologist as well as having a share in the majestic line. His take, given that they are small boats for up to 12 people is if guests are mandated to wear masks he will not restart the line until such time as masks are not required as their additional benefit is limited and negative impact on the sailing is high. I just thought it was interesting that somebody who had expertise in both camps had that view however I recognise their boats are smaller - unfortunately I can’t post a link to the article here as it’s a subscription service. 
I recognise this is 12 passengers v 700 but it highlighted in Scotland even with 12 passengers they were trying to enforce significant rules including daily temperature checks. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

EU has not recommended anything.  Here is a footnote from the bottom of the document’s cover page:

The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.

EU Healthy Gateway is co-funded by the EU. Most likely sent out to test reaction .

2 hours ago, govanguy said:

Thank you for your corrective comment. I`ll bear this in mind for future posts

Regardless of the length of the URL you provided, thanks for posting this article. It's the end of cruising for me until they find a vaccine or treatment. 

Phil 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Regardless of the length of the URL you provided, thanks for posting this article. It's the end of cruising for me until they find a vaccine or treatment. 

Phil 

I know the cruise lines are desperate to get back in action but it’s not for us either, hopefully one day normality will return if not we’ve had a great time cruising and plenty of memories. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I wonder why we are all still reading cruise critic if cruising is out of the question ?

Because we are still trying to understand the refund process?

So once here, it’s useful to understand the current state of play on what cruising might be like in the short, medium and longer term. 

• Like 2

Cruise Critic is like a drug.  Its always the first thing I took at in the morning and of course there are far fewer posts nowadays. Always rather disappointed if there is nothing much new.  I rather like a controversy (argument).

I am also bemused by the refund process but we are unlikely to get a definitive answer on here.

I am actually thinking of booking an April cruise - but many on here, whose opinion I respect, are saying no, not until a vaccine etc.  A vaccine may never happen.   I would really like to have a cruise to look forward to.  I may book the cruise in the knowledge that I may never actually go.  I am old and running out of years to do things !

• Like 2

Pam, if you want controversy and argument then go over to the Celebrity board. Plenty there!😉

Cruising is in my bones and even though operations  have paused and I'm not sure when I'll get back on a ship it's good to keep up to date. And I am forever hopeful. What else can I be?  No point in being too depressed, although sometimes it's hard. I just take comfort that in real terms compared to others I have it easy!

You and Mike stay well. That's the main thing we can all do. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, It may be worth booking (reduced deposit for B2B) even though I know I might lose the money.  Friends are off to their caravan near Port Vendres next week.  It will be interesting to see how things are in that area of the Med.  Just blame a mutual friend for making me even look at possible 2021 itineraries. !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Cruise Critic is like a drug.  Its always the first thing I took at in the morning and of course there are far fewer posts nowadays. Always rather disappointed if there is nothing much new.  I rather like a controversy (argument).

I am also bemused by the refund process but we are unlikely to get a definitive answer on here.

I am actually thinking of booking an April cruise - but many on here, whose opinion I respect, are saying no, not until a vaccine etc.  A vaccine may never happen.   I would really like to have a cruise to look forward to.  I may book the cruise in the knowledge that I may never actually go.  I am old and running out of years to do things !

My feelings exactly.

Betsey

• Like 1

We are also getting cruise withdrawal symptoms!  

We enquired about a cruise for April 2021 hoping that the deposit would be small and worth taking a risk on losing the money if we decided not to travel.   We were unable to secure a cheaper deposit so reluctantly declined to book.

None of us know what the situation will be next year but I thought the cruise lines would be offering some incentives to attract people back to cruising.

The weather here is grey, wet and windy and right now I would agree to don a Hazmat suit for the duration just to be able to sail again!

Jilly

• Like 1

23 hours ago, d9704011 said:

So, basically: The article is NOT EU recommendation and just the opinion of the author. I would describe it as BS. 

This post is just misleading if the headline is not changed. 

1 hour ago, oddjob16 said:

So, basically: The article is NOT EU recommendation and just the opinion of the author. I would describe it as BS. 

This post is just misleading if the headline is not changed. 

There has been discussion on the Celebrity board about this and d970 has had input there too. Worth a read for some alternative thoughts. 

Phil 

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There has been discussion on the Celebrity board about this and d970 has had input there too. Worth a read for some alternative thoughts. 

Phil 

Well. It does not matter how it is described in different settings. They all makes me think of penal facilities and who wants to pay to sail on one of those. Cruising is dead if a vaccine is not close by. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I wonder why we are all still reading cruise critic if cruising is out of the question ?

I think most of us are hopeful that cruising is not out of the question forever! I have faith in those medical scientists working on producing a vaccine. 🙏

In these days of social isolation it is good to see and read the thoughts of other cruisers in different parts of the world, some of whom we have cruised with and others whose CC names are very familiar.  So, I check in on my "other family" each day with my cup of tea after breakfast. 🙂

Currently I am unable to visit children, grandchildren and great grandchildren in other states because interstate borders are closed. Although we are able to write via internet, speak on the phone and share photos or videos, it is just not the same as being together in the same state, city, house and room, or out and about doing things together.

Stay well everyone . . . hope to meet again next year at sea! 🗺️ 🛳️

Trish

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Well. It does not matter how it is described in different settings. They all makes me think of penal facilities and who wants to pay to sail on one of those. Cruising is dead if a vaccine is not close by. 

Yep, that's the bottom line for me too. I still struggle to understand how social distancing will work on a ship. 

Phil 

• Like 3