Mariner vs Splendor dilemma

knl03

In the process of planning on a cruise for 2021 to use my cruise credit from our canceled, must anticipated first Regent cruise on Splendor. The dilemma is the perfect itinerary is on Mariner, which is an older ship. We really wanted to cruise on Splendor, but the itinerary I’m looking at would be second choice. In my mind, Splendor would be much better because it’s new and shiny.

Can anyone who has been on both outline the differences and comment if one ship really would be better than the other?

Mariner much better ship than splendor (based on my experience on explorer).  Outdoor viewing area outside of Observation Lounge.  Garden Promenade with much nicer coffee connection.  Compass Rose with much better sound so you can actually hear your dinner companions.  It has Stars Lounge as a nightclub so that Mariner Lounge is nice and relaxing.  Horizon Lounge is absolutely fantastic with stern seating looking at the ocean comfy and bar service.  No competition, Mariner is much better ship.

Marc

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Mariner much better ship than splendor (based on my experience on explorer).  Outdoor viewing area outside of Observation Lounge.  Garden Promenade with much nicer coffee connection.  Compass Rose with much better sound so you can actually hear your dinner companions.  It has Stars Lounge as a nightclub so that Mariner Lounge is nice and relaxing.  Horizon Lounge is absolutely fantastic with stern seating looking at the ocean comfy and bar service.  No competition, Mariner is much better ship.

Marc

Agree , as long as you choose a cabin with the shower not bath/ shower. Also the PH suites on the Mariner are great. Don't worry re the spa as post covid it may be irrelevant. Theatre in Mariner is great , if the Splendour has not improved the Explorer then the theatre was very poorly designed- not yet been in the Splendour.

I’m always embarrassed to say this, but it’s true. Yours is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. Sometimes we need to step back and realize that our problems are so trivial when considering our country’s problems today.

That being said, I have chosen the Splendor since at our age (and past travels), the ship is our destination!

Mom C

• Like 4

I am sure you would enjoy either ship but if you prefer the itinerary then go with Mariner.

Don’t worry about the age of Mariner; she has been kept in good order with regular refurbishments. The layout of Mariner is excellent.

We like a Penthouse or Horizon on Mariner as the basic suites are snug. Agree with @GrJ Berkshire that shower-only suites are preferable.

On Splendor we would opt for D, E or F grade.

Edited by flossie009

I have yet to try Regent’s 2 new ships, but will test drive the Splendor in Feb...hopefully.

Of the ships we have been on so far (2 of Regents, 3 of other luxury lines and some 20 of the other lines) the Mariner is our favorite (our other favorite no longer is sailing)! With forward and rear lounges, the the wonderful outside open area of the rear Horizon Lounge and lots of small seating areas to sit and read or chat with a new friend or two, the public areas are near prefect. The over all size of the ship is almost perfect too....-600 and the regular suites (ones with shower only) are very comfortable. Really the Navigator would be our perfect ship if only it had a forward lounge. I can’t imagine building a New luxury ship with out both!

We are going to try the new Splendor,  but it has a strike against it for us already since it lacks both lounges. It is also some bigger than we like too.

Edited by cwn

I appreciate MomC's reminder - it helps keep people grounded.  Questioning people is also a bit rude IMHO.  

Although we have yet to sail on Splendor (our cruise was canceled), our favorite ship is Explorer (sister ship to Splendor).  We do not care for the small regular suites on Mariner and, as said, she is a much older ship.  

Suites on Mariner (below PH) are 252 sq. feet with a 49 sq. ft. balcony.

Suites on Splendor (ignoring categories G & H as they were originally supposed to be for solo travelers)  332 sq, ft. plus 83 - 132 square ft.' balcony.  

Splendor suites F1/F2 have large walk-in closets with a large bathroom (large shower and bathtub plus 2 sinks and tons of storage)

Mariner suites G - E - small walk-in closets, small bathroom with bathtub (many consider the bathtub dangerous as it is very difficult to get into or out of) or a large shower.  Shower only suites go first so anyone wanting to sail on Mariner should book early.

Splendor also has Pacific Rim (an Asian Fusion restaurant that is only on Explorer and Splendor).  

We have taken 34 Regent cruises.  In 2019, 2020 (if our cruise actually sails) and 2021, our booked cruises were/are all on Splendor or Explorer.  We would sail on Mariner or Voyager IF there was an itinerary that we absolutely had to take (this is unlikely since we have visited all of the places on our bucket list).  We will not sail on Navigator.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CBWIR said:

Some posts are inevitable. Surprised it took as long as it did. OBTW, who mentioned anything about the Navigator on this thread?

Blame me....it fit in my reply so I don’t see the problem.

Sorry Bissel, but you must be unfamiliar with the meaning of a ‘first world problem’.  I was trying to add some levity — perhaps the better term would be perspective—to the dilemmas that many of us face—those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to not only travel, but those who can also

afford to go on luxurious cruise lines.   

No lecture intended, I am just so saddened by the coronavirus situation in our country.  To me it means disappointment about cruise cancellations. To many (137,000 families) it is the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, (millions) and all of the manifestations that come from this pandemic.  I, too, ask questions on this wonderful site, but today I am devastated and frightened by the state of our country.

Mom C

• Like 6

Mom C, sorry I missed the attempt at levity. It felt like yet another thing to feel bad about and I agree with you this is a distressing time in the U.S. I saw today that about only 17% of people are happy with this country’s situation which speaks to a very high level of unsettling feelings.

I apologize for my reaction.

• Like 2

We've done 18 regent cruises including the Splendor's Maiden voyage (a TA), 6 on the Explorer, and 5 on the Mariner. Here's MY OPINIONs:

Until the Splendor cruise, the Explorer was my favorite ship BUT Splendor is a great improvement on even the Explorer. For cruises with many sea days, Splendor can't be beat. For itineraries with lots of shore time it still would be my favorite. The "F" cabins are great value!

We use only standard cabins which are too small for us on extended cruises. For 7 to 14-day, scenic cruises, like Alaska and Norway, I'd prefer Mariner and probably also Mariner for rough seas (although Explorer handled very rough Pacific seas off Mexico extremely well). On our Recent Mariner cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver, we enjoyed the Mariner's stability and outdoor viewing areas.

ps: Mariner is DW's favorite ship as long as it has the large shower instead of a tub.

Editorial revision to my post above: "We only use standard cabins which are too small for us on the Mariner on extended cruises."

Again, the "F" cabins on the Explorer or the Splendor are magnificent for long voyages.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MomC said:

I’m always embarrassed to say this, but it’s true. Yours is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. Sometimes we need to step back and realize that our problems are so trivial when considering our country’s problems today.

That being said, I have chosen the Splendor since at our age (and past travels), the ship is our destination!

Mom C

Of COURSE it's a first world problem.  The entire cruise ship industry is built on first world privilege and wealth.  Doesn't matter whether you are sailing on Regent or Carnival.  It means that you are not living in poverty in a Rio favela or Bombay slum.

You say you are always embarrassed to make this patently obvious statement.  So why visit a cruise board to shame someone?  Does it somehow make you feel better?  I just don't get why anyone would come on here to suck the joy out of some else's travel planning.
  • Like 2

Kate, you indeed make good points but I’m thinking that a very few of us are losing our minds! 😩.  I speak just for myself. I really am trying not to care about inappropriate comments from others, thinking they too are under great stress.

Happy 4th to all who observe it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bissel said:

Not much difference then between the two itineraries. If you like new and shiny go with Splendor. I personally like the Mariner best but that’s probably a minority opinion.

I also like the older ships...for a number of reasons.

• Like 2