Swimming with Whales in Moorea

TMW67

I've heard whale season ends in October/ mid-November, so if you were in Moorea on November 7th, would you risk paying that much to swim with the whales that time of year? It's on my bucket list, something I've always wanted to do! I know there's never a guarantee with wild animals, but with that being so late in the season, not sure if I should do it. Anyone have good luck going in November? What tour did you use? 

@TMW67

Sorry to say but I was the the latter half on November and could not even get anyone to commit to taking us out to look at whales. Too late. Someone else here may have had better luck. I tried Moorea Actvities Center, Dr. Poole and Moorea Ocean Adventures. Wouldn't hurt to write and ask if they would take you out and what chance there would be of seeing. I'd trust Dr. Poole the most http://www.drmichaelpoole.com/tours.htm

Wow, this is another reason for switching my visit to October. According to various videos, the young humpbacks are out and about too, which I have never noticed in northern hemisphere encounters. I have often felt that swimming with dolphins was kind of intrusive, but even the humpback young are large enough so that a snorkler seems relatively a harmless toy.

Maybe so but if you go out with someone like Dr. Poole who is a marine biologist he's not going to encourage you to get in the water at an inopportune moment. Moorea Ocean Adventures also has a marine biologist directing things. Last spring an extremely rare (has never happened before) oceanic shark attacked a woman in the water with whales. I don't know if it has affected getting in the water now. Contact Moorea Oceanic Adventures.....I've booked my next trip with them. info@moorea-ocean-adventures.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did this the end of October of 2017, used Moorea Activity Center, we prepaid, it was great.  Only problem was that the whales move really fast you can not keep up with them.  But would recommend and would not hesitate to do the tour again.  Just don't get to disappointed about not truly swimming with them. As soon as you find them get in the water, they are moving fast....  several times trying to swim with them, the boat would have to come get us, as you don't realize how far you swim chasing with the current and swimming back is too much.  Our tour was for a 9am departure and returned at 1pm.   It was very interesting as the whales you see are from Antarctica not Alaska, so that was very cool.