What is Your Typical First Lunch on Embarkation...

BklynBoy8

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I know they do that for certain pax such as Neptune suite occupants but I don’t think it is for the entire passenger list.  That said they are trained to get to know you and greet you far more than any other lime that I have sailed.  They are a personable group. 

I agree.  It is the HAL crew that provides the "difference" among the cruise lines.  

Referring to my previous comment about being recognized by the GRM this past Winter, I was not a Neptune Suite guest.  Just a regular outside stateroom on Dolphin Deck  (Volendam) or, if it was on Eurodam, a regular veranda stateroom on Deck 5.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  It is the HAL crew that provides the "difference" among the cruise lines.  

Referring to my previous comment about being recognized by the GRM this past Winter, I was not a Neptune Suite guest.  Just a regular outside stateroom on Dolphin Deck  (Volendam) or, if it was on Eurodam, a regular veranda stateroom on Deck 5.  

I don’t recall being greeted at the pier but usually by the end of a few days they know you.   I am a bit of a loner so maybe they are respecting my distance, they do seem to notice my much more sociable husband 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t recall being greeted at the pier 

As I said, I was quite surprised by that greeting by the GRM when I embarked the ship.  

The crew members seem to have a better memory for names/faces than I ever have had!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Certainly was not my experience on QE2.

My sole experience on QE2 was a 1980 trans-Atlantic embarking in Hamburg to New York.  There were labor problems aboard the ship at that time and service was lacking.  At times, being very poor and rude.  We were in Tourist Class, but friends who were in First Class were experiencing the same level of poor and disappointing service. 

The most pleasant and memorable service that I experienced was from a Deck Steward (an older gentleman, probably who had been with Cunard for some time) who tucked me into my deck chair on a very aft windy deck and served two Bloody Marys to me.  Why two?  In attempting to bring my first one to me, the wind caught his tray and it sailed backwards towards him, coating him with Bloody Mary!  He apologized.  (Wow, I thought!)  Returned in a fresh uniform with another drink.  If I had had some cash with me, he would have received a very nice tip.  

On QM2, I do recall seeing such service that you described on occasion.   

rakacruiser,

I am so sorry with your mixed opinions about your experience in 80 on the Queen Elizabeth 2.

We started sailing on her in 83 and had wonderful experiences of our sailing in middle to higher class cabins over the years. We had dedicated staff that after the first night knew your preferences from cabin to restaurants. Even the bars were very attentive.

My wife also remembered a particular waiter on the Sun Deck near the funnel where the lounges were set up. A Nominal Charge you can select the location of the lounge for the entire sailing. The particular waiter would watch you would not over sun and served tea the entire time and bouillon at 11am. She can remember him and his dedication for many years.

Yes, there were many dedicated staff on board and as always, there were those that shouldn't serve on board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

rakacruiser,

I am so sorry with your mixed opinions about your experience in 80 on the Queen Elizabeth 2.

We started sailing on her in 83 and had wonderful experiences of our sailing in middle to higher class cabins over the years. We had dedicated staff that after the first night knew your preferences from cabin to restaurants. Even the bars were very attentive.

My wife also remembered a particular waiter on the Sun Deck near the funnel where the lounges were set up. A Nominal Charge you can select the location of the lounge for the entire sailing. The particular waiter would watch you would not over sun and served tea the entire time and bouillon at 11am. She can remember him and his dedication for many years.

Yes, there were many dedicated staff on board and as always, there were those that shouldn't serve on board.

Thanks for relating your first experience 3 years after mine.  I knew that our experience was "out of the norm" for Cunard.  As I said, it was due to labor issues on the ship that seemed to impact the younger staff rather than those who were older.  

It was hard to forget things like Tea in the Queen's Lounge using tea service that was cracked with no spoons.  I have a photo of my traveling companion stirring his tea with his pocket knife.  It "colored" my opinion of Cunard until the opportunity to sail on QM2 came along.  To do or not to do (to paraphrase the Bard), that was the question.  I did.  The service and experience on that cruise met my expectations for Cunard.  Really didn't care for the officious Assistant Maitre d' overseeing my table.  (I finally got so "fed up" with his attitude, as did others at my table, that I let him know what we thought after one evening's dinner.  Afterwards, all was "sweetness and light" from the "gentleman".  Other than that experience, I enjoyed my QM2 cruise and would be unconcerned about booking another on her or any other Cunarder.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for relating your first experience 3 years after mine.  I knew that our experience was "out of the norm" for Cunard.  As I said, it was due to labor issues on the ship that seemed to impact the younger staff rather than those who were older.  

It was hard to forget things like Tea in the Queen's Lounge using tea service that was cracked with no spoons.  I have a photo of my traveling companion stirring his tea with his pocket knife.  It "colored" my opinion of Cunard until the opportunity to sail on QM2 came along.  To do or not to do (to paraphrase the Bard), that was the question.  I did.  The service and experience on that cruise met my expectations for Cunard.  Really didn't care for the officious Assistant Maitre d' overseeing my table.  (I finally got so "fed up" with his attitude, as did others at my table, that I let him know what we thought after one evening's dinner.  Afterwards, all was "sweetness and light" from the "gentleman".  Other than that experience, I enjoyed my QM2 cruise and would be unconcerned about booking another on her or any other Cunarder.  

rkacruiser,

WOW to read your experience, you have my sympathy. WOW!

Now to share a thought. We knew we were to separate from the outgoing QE2 and wanted to try the QM2 as her replacement to come. So we watched the reviews of passengers from 2004 to 2005 to guide our booking.

Well the reviews of passengers sailing during that time was surprising and shocking. Passengers stating they were unhappy, crew disharmony, incidents, uniform officers disputes with crew. WOW what I read. Honestly and truthfully we were shocked. But after considerable thoughts we came to the conclusion that the ship was new and settling in. Many crews members were being taken off other ships and were attempting to form a new crew to work together. After considerable time they settled in and the reviews were turning favorable and delightful.

And in later 2005 we were excited and happy to book our first sailing on the QM2 the following year and we didn't regret it. We took a short sailing the next July and we were sold! The QM2 was now our new QE2..we been sailing on her since then and Happy!

Honestly, she is a Good Ship "Ocean Liner"..

Take Care and Stay Safe...

Ed S.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

And in later 2005 we were excited and happy to book our first sailing on the QM2 the following year and we didn't regret it

We sailed on QM2 during the same year, 2006.  My sailing was a November Caribbean cruise from New York.  One memory of that cruise was that is was so cold at sailaway.  I was on that open upper deck overlooking the bow and was determined I was going to stay there until we sailed under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge.  With the wind and the cold air temperature, I was thoroughly chilled.  Immediately after we passed under the Bridge, I headed to the nearby Commodore's Lounge for a warming drink.  

Other than the Assistant Maitre d' whom I mentioned previously, it was a very good cruise.  

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

We sailed on QM2 during the same year, 2006.  My sailing was a November Caribbean cruise from New York.  One memory of that cruise was that is was so cold at sailaway.  I was on that open upper deck overlooking the bow and was determined I was going to stay there until we sailed under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge.  With the wind and the cold air temperature, I was thoroughly chilled.  Immediately after we passed under the Bridge, I headed to the nearby Commodore's Lounge for a warming drink.  

Other than the Assistant Maitre d' whom I mentioned previously, it was a very good cruise.  

rkacruiser,

Ditto about the time of year. We did a Caribbean in the 90's on the QE2 at that time of year.

I remember the COOL temp outside but I too wanted to see the sailing past Our VZ Bridge. At that time we sailed from Manhattan and by the time we past the Statue, many ran in for the First Dinner time. I just hide against the corner walls away from the winds. I remember someone's plastic cup from their Champagne was flying all around and banging around empty on the floor.

With my wife waiting for me at the table, I took my video and pictures and headed to the dining room. And yes I took needed a chill relief and opted for a Cognac in the Chart Room...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We usually sail RCI in a suite and in the past we could grab some lunch at the buffet and eat it in one of the specialty restaurants for some calm dining away from the masses.

Next January we will be sailing Star Class on the Symphony of the Seas and will probably eat in Coastal Kitchen - the dining for suites and pinnacle guests.

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What's Star Class?  

The Oasis and Quantum Class have three tiers of suite class - Star Class is the top tier with the Royal Genie and all the perks. We are in a Star loft - there are only two of these two level cabins on the Symphony of the Seas. The three suite tiers are:

Royal Suite Class offers three tiers of accommodations, based on the suite category, Star, Sky, and Sea.

This is the link from the RCCL website: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-rooms/royal-suite-class

Edited by Sun and Fun
  • Like 1

Favorite lunch first time on RCI is their fried chicken.  RCI always serves this at the embarkation lunch at the buffet.  It is actually pretty good.  We never dine in the MDR the first night...too much chaos.  We will go to a specialty venue or do the buffet.  The buffet  is usually very peaceful on the first night.  Years ago all the ships featured a steamship round of beef on the embarkation buffet.  Those days are long gone but that huge tasty hind leg of beef will be fondly remembered.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We've always cruised with Royal Caribbean, and their embarkation day lunch in the Windjammer buffet includes a large pan of paella that I like to sample. Of course it's not quite the real thing, but it does have a decent flavor and some seafood on it. That and the Greek salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and feta are my go-to first lunch items. And maybe a coconut ranger cookie if they have them on the buffet. 

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What's a coconut ranger cookie?  

Baked properly, it's a little bit of heaven:  oatmeal, coconut and toffee chips--no raisins! If they are not overbaked, they are a little crunchy at the edge and soft and chewy in the middle. And now I'm hungry!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Baked properly, it's a little bit of heaven:  oatmeal, coconut and toffee chips--no raisins! If they are not overbaked, they are a little crunchy at the edge and soft and chewy in the middle. And now I'm hungry!

Sounds delicious!!!!

I have found that the bakers on cruise ships develop some different and excellent cookies.  

Edited by rkacruiser

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Sounds delicious!!!!

I have found that the bakers on cruise ships develop some different and excellent cookies.  

The other ones on Royal, in our opinion, aren't particularly exciting or tasty, but the ranger cookies are delicious. Their bakers produce excellent breads and rolls, but the desserts are not great, unfortunately. There is a heavy reliance on mousse mixes and things set with lots of gelatin. There are a few cakes and tarts that are good, though.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

Their bakers produce excellent breads and rolls,

The croissants that come out of the bakery is a measure that I use as to the recipes used and the skills of the bakers.  It is always an enjoyable "investigation" for me those first days on board to sample the croissants (as well as the danish) during breakfast.

I have also found that the soups that are prepared are an indication of how pleased I will be with the cuisine on that ship.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The croissants that come out of the bakery is a measure that I use as to the recipes used and the skills of the bakers.  It is always an enjoyable "investigation" for me those first days on board to sample the croissants (as well as the danish) during breakfast.

I have also found that the soups that are prepared are an indication of how pleased I will be with the cuisine on that ship.  

Great points...croissants are a gauge of the quality of baking onboard.  The best I ever encountered were on the SS France.  A close second and I mean close were the croissants onboard the MDC Divina.  

Soups are only as good as the stock they are made from.  The measure of a great kitchen/galley is the quality of the stocks they prepare.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

.croissants are a gauge of the quality of baking onboard.  The best I ever encountered were on the SS France.  A close second and I mean close were the croissants onboard the MDC Divina.  

Different ships, different Chief Bakers, different experiences:  MSC Meraviglia's croissants and danish were very good.  They were in second place as to some that I have enjoyed on a HAL ship.  

I  wish I could have sailed on French Line ship.  No time available to do so; no money to do so either at the time.  

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Different ships, different Chief Bakers, different experiences:  MSC Meraviglia's croissants and danish were very good.  They were in second place as to some that I have enjoyed on a HAL ship.  

I  wish I could have sailed on French Line ship.  No time available to do so; no money to do so either at the time.  

Way back in the late 1960’s Craig Claiborne wrote  an article called “The Greatest Restaurant In The World “.   That restaurant was the First Class Chambord onboard the SS France.  Claiborne pointed out that not only was the food fantastic but the fact that they fed 400 people 3 meals a day made it incredible.  The level of culinary expertise was superb.  The wine cellar was beyond imagining.  The level of service was stellar.  My ocean liner collection had more than 100 First Class menus from the French Line...they were mind boggling.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Way back in the late 1960’s Craig Claiborne wrote  an article called “The Greatest Restaurant In The World “.

I am certain that he was the restaurant critic and food editor for the New York Times.  I wonder if his articles also appeared in the magazine called Holiday.  My Mother subscribed to Holiday and I read each issue that arrived.  I recall reading an article about the France's First Class restaurant in that magazine and supported what you have said about the dining experience aboard the S. S. France.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am certain that he was the restaurant critic and food editor for the New York Times.  I wonder if his articles also appeared in the magazine called Holiday.  My Mother subscribed to Holiday and I read each issue that arrived.  I recall reading an article about the France's First Class restaurant in that magazine and supported what you have said about the dining experience aboard the S. S. France.  

Indeed he was critic and food editor for the NYT.  He also wrote more than a dozen great cookbooks...and appeared in many magazines, etc.  His cookbooks were some of the best ever written.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Indeed he was critic and food editor for the NYT.  He also wrote more than a dozen great cookbooks...and appeared in many magazines, etc.  His cookbooks were some of the best ever written.  

I too followed Craig and his cookbooks in the past and he was a wonderful chef and food critic.

I had the pleasure to personally meet him in a Hudson Valley Hotel during a Culinary Weekend and even assisted him during a demo. Also had time to dine with him and exchange food chatter which was a privilege. Knowing he was going to be present I took one of my first cookbooks of his and had him autograph the book. It's a special addition to my Cook Book collection.

He will be sorely missed. 

• Like 1