What is Your Typical First Lunch on Embarkation...

BklynBoy8

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I too followed Craig and his cookbooks in the past and he was a wonderful chef and food critic.

I had the pleasure to personally meet him in a Hudson Valley Hotel during a Culinary Weekend and even assisted him during a demo. Also had time to dine with him and exchange food chatter which was a privilege. Knowing he was going to be present I took one of my first cookbooks of his and had him autograph the book. It's a special addition to my Cook Book collection.

He will be sorely missed. 

What a great story!  How lucky you were to have had that experience.  If you want to read some wonderful accounts of that time try reading Jacques Pepin’s autobiography.  It’s a great story and Pepin recounts all his amusing stories.  Many of those stories tell about his fun weekends with Craig, Pierre Franey, James Beard and, of course his good friend, Jean-Claude Szurdak.  Pepin’s biography is a compilation of the history of the birth of modern American cuisine.  Jacques Pepin is an original national treasure.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What a great story!  How lucky you were to have had that experience.  If you want to read some wonderful accounts of that time try reading Jacques Pepin’s autobiography.  It’s a great story and Pepin recounts all his amusing stories.  Many of those stories tell about his fun weekends with Craig, Pierre Franey, James Beard and, of course his good friend, Jean-Claude Szurdak.  Pepin’s biography is a compilation of the history of the birth of modern American cuisine.  Jacques Pepin is an original national treasure.  

I was special experience to have met Craig. With the Weekend Themed "Hot & Spicy" he had the pleasure to judge the Chili Comp which was very interesting. 

I am so happy you mentioned Jacques Pepin who next to his dear friend Julia Child is my favorite TV chef. I use many of his recipes and watch his shows on PBS TV. I can watch the shows over and over and over. He is so basic and down to earth. And to have watched his daughter and grand daughter grow up is so special.

The one funny part of his background is once working for the Howard & Johnson Restaurant my favorite vacation stop if one is around. Enjoy their Fried Clams and 28 flavors of Ice Cream. But is very proud working there.

I got the opportunity to stop by and visit the James Beard House in the Village in NYC. JB was also a chef I used to watch as a child and inspired me to cooking.

Thank you BB for recounting your memorable culinary adventures.  Julia Child was and is one of the icons of American cuisine.  She lived with Paul in Cambridge and we would often see her at Star Market and her favorite butcher shop.  My wife worked for a big Boston bank in the Trust Department back in the 1970’s.  One of her accounts was Julia.  Every time Julia requested a dispersement Julia would send a follow up post card to our home.  Usually these cards came from France where she and Paul had a second home.  When my wife left the bank in the 1980’s we received the nicest note from Julia thanking my wife for all her service.  Julia certainly was special.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite "secrets" is the Havana Bar on Carnival Sunshine.  Just walk past the buffet on the lido deck and there is a small area at the bar that has Cuban sandwiches, pork pies, etc...

The bar will be completely crowded with people on embark day and not a single one of them will notice it. 

They also have delectable guava pastries during breakfast.

4 hours ago, Billoftt said:

Havana Bar on Carnival Sunshine.

Have not sailed on Carnival Sunshine.  But, as you have learned, one does not need to "belly up" to the first bar one sees when one embarks.  And, that applies to the various dining venues as well.  Not sure of the set-up on Sunshine, but the dining area on the upper deck where the Buffet Restaurant is located on Carnival Ships such as Freedom, usually plenty of seating with a different cuisine being served.  

But, in defense of the Atrium Bar area where one usually embarks a Carnival vessel, it is an absolute great place to get a seat (not at the bar, but at a table away from the bar) and people watch!  

4 hours ago, Billoftt said:

guava

Another guava lover!  👍

It's funny that I spend so much time researching every little thing (including the food venues) before I go on every cruise but still end up in the lido buffet the first lunch trying to decide between a nice Asian stir-fry and pizza!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seamus69 said:

It's funny that I spend so much time researching every little thing (including the food venues) before I go on every cruise but still end up in the lido buffet the first lunch trying to decide between a nice Asian stir-fry and pizza!

There's nothing wrong with choosing a venue that is most familiar to one.  If embarkation day has been particularly stressful, such a choice makes perfect sense.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There's nothing wrong with choosing a venue that is most familiar to one.  If embarkation day has been particularly stressful, such a choice makes perfect sense.  

On our next sailing nxt year on the QM2, we expect to change our always Kings Court visit to Golden Lion Pub after all these years. Kings Court can be challenging especially on Embarking Day.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

I remember that the Pub Lunch was held there, but was unaware that other lunch options at the venue were available.  

rkacruiser,

Yes Golden Lion Pub is open on the QM2 besides the Kings Court. Also next door to KC, is the Carinthia Lounge with modest simple lunch items. And if you are blessed to be Princess or Queens Grill, you can eat in your restaurant at 1PM Embarkation Day.

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes Golden Lion Pub is open on the QM2 besides the Kings Court. Also next door to KC, is the Carinthia Lounge with modest simple lunch items

When I sailed on QM2, Carinthia Lounge did not exist as I remember.  It was the Winter Garden, a lovely room that was very underutilized.  

I vaguely recall that Sir Samuel's also offered small lunch items on days at sea, but no knowledge whether those items were available on Embarkation Day.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

Our next cruise is the AQSC American Queen in September so I think I will see if someone posted a recent menu from there since they started sailing again last month.  Apparently they still have a buffet that is no served by crew, as I'm sure all the lines will.

11 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Our next cruise is the AQSC American Queen in September so I think I will see if someone posted a recent menu from there since they started sailing again last month.  Apparently they still have a buffet that is no served by crew, as I'm sure all the lines will.

I am very interested in what you find about their cuisine as well as what you experience when you sail.  Please let us know.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

Silversea ..... 
serious rumour is they have photographs of all passengers and they are pinned up in crew areas so as they can recognise you.

As an aside, when we boarded we were twice greeted by name whilst en route to reception to check in.

It is not a rumour.  They learn the guests names......ships only average about 500. 

I usually enjoy some fresh fruit, some various cheeses.....either crackers or bread and a glass of vino.....

maybe some shrimp.........

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, Lois R said:

I usually enjoy some fresh fruit, some various cheeses.....either crackers or bread and a glass of vino.....

maybe some shrimp.........

Very good self control.  I will embark a ship after having a minimalist breakfast in order to have some tummy space for a lunch since I rarely eat lunch.  

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Noshing and grazing at the buffet is what we do at embarkation.  If we are assigned to the Main Dining room we always take our first dinner at the buffet and avoid the chaos in the MD the first night.  

We always take buffet first lunch to get back to unpack. But always first dinner to settle in and get to meet and introd to the Waiters. Only once did we have a not so pleasant dinner on first evening. We changed tables and got a very good set of waiters. Rest of cruise - Great.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We always take buffet first lunch to get back to unpack. But always first dinner to settle in and get to meet and introd to the Waiters. Only once did we have a not so pleasant dinner on first evening. We changed tables and got a very good set of waiters. Rest of cruise - Great.

I always check out the table first then notify the waiters that we won’t be there.  This way I get to check out the waiters and the table.  Only twice have I had to move the table.  I find the first night to be mediocre so I would just as soon do the buffet and have never been disappointed.  The second night out is always much better.  

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I always check out the table first then notify the waiters that we won’t be there.  This way I get to check out the waiters and the table.  Only twice have I had to move the table.  I find the first night to be mediocre so I would just as soon do the buffet and have never been disappointed.  The second night out is always much better.  

I know I learned on the HAL a longtime ago that the Waiters learn your preferences. From the next morning till we departed they knew all our likes and dislikes. Drinks, S&P, wants with each meals. Didn't have to say anything. What pleasure.

We find that with Cunard in the Club Britannia Dining Room. Having all three meals at the same table.

In the Main Dining Room, breakfast and lunch are different waiters each seating.

14 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I know I learned on the HAL a longtime ago that the Waiters learn your preferences. From the next morning till we departed they knew all our likes and dislikes. Drinks, S&P, wants with each meals. Didn't have to say anything. What pleasure.

We find that with Cunard in the Club Britannia Dining Room. Having all three meals at the same table.

In the Main Dining Room, breakfast and lunch are different waiters each seating.

I would be inclined to attend the first dinner in MDR on Cunard.  That is a different situation.  RCI, Princess, NCL…not so much.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Only once have I not dined in the MDR during the first night at sea.  That was when I opted for open sitting and wanted to dine at the Pinnacle Grill that evening.  Whenever I have fixed seating, I want to be at my table to meet my tablemates and my Stewards in anticipation of developing a relationship among us that will enhance my cruise experience.  

On 6/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I always check out the table

This is also a priority for me on embarkation day.  Sometimes, it's OK.  Sometimes, it's exactly what I requested.  It's never been poor.

One time that it was "perfect" was at the start of a complete VOV, the Assistant MDR Manager informed the two of us sitting at a round table for six as our dinner was ending on that first night from Boston that he wanted to change us to a round table for 8 that had 2 seats vacant.  I checked out the table and I agreed as did my tablemate.  All went well; delightful, diverse folks and in a location at the very front and somewhat "off the beaten path" of the Rotterdam VI's dining room.