What is Your Favorite First Morning Breakfast...

BklynBoy8

10 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Lox and bagels. 

I like the bagel toasted and soft cream cheese w a slice of red onion.

I know on the QM2 they give the lox with a bagel with accompaniments. (chopped red onion, chopped egg whites & yolks, cream cheese).

• 3 weeks later...

I have obviously puzzled over this question by the OP for some time.  The best answer that I can provide depends upon on which ship I am sailing and what's on the menu.

If it is a HAL ship, Swedish Pancakes with a side order of Bacon would be requested.  That ought to be preceded by an appearance of the Pastry Tray (which on most recent sailings must be specifically requested).  A croissant, a danish, a cinnamon roll would find their way onto my butter plate.  

Aboard ships of other companies, Eggs Benedict of some variety would probably be ordered.  If Potatoes O'Brian appears on the menu, that will be a definite order.  But, that is an item that I don't see very often.  

Really enjoy Room Service Breakfast as much as a DR Breakfast.  It's become "work" for me to arise early enough to get to the MDR for Breakfast.  Room service allows me to enjoy my breakfast when I want to do so.  The downside is that  the menu is lacking in its variety.  

• 3 months later...

A question about Kippers for breakfast.  I dined with a Canadian lady last year who ordered Kippers for breakfast; that was a first for me.  Never observed anyone doing so.  She knew what she was doing by the way she ate the fish.  She did seem to enjoy it.

How do Kippers taste?  Hers came with the body intact (less the head), so she had to deal with the bones.  Is the fish ever served without the bones?  

I keep thinking I ought to try Kippers.  Just never have been "brave(?)" enough to do so.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A question about Kippers for breakfast.  I dined with a Canadian lady last year who ordered Kippers for breakfast; that was a first for me.  Never observed anyone doing so.  She knew what she was doing by the way she ate the fish.  She did seem to enjoy it.

How do Kippers taste?  Hers came with the body intact (less the head), so she had to deal with the bones.  Is the fish ever served without the bones?  

I keep thinking I ought to try Kippers.  Just never have been "brave(?)" enough to do so.  

rkacruiser,

Hope all is well.

Dad use to like to order Kippers for breakfast on the QE&M2 when he sailed on them.

I know the Kippers on board are Scottish and Grilled.

I also never saw anyone order the Poached Halibut in Melted Butter all the time we sailed. 

I personally like the Smoked Salmon plate in the Morn for Breakfast with all the accompaniments. Smoked Salmon with creamed cheese on a bagel with possibly a slice of red onion will definitely hold me to lunch even it is a bit later.

Hope you one day do try Kippers.

Edited by BklynBoy8

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

rkacruiser,

Hope all is well.

Dad use to like to order Kippers for breakfast on the QE&M2 when he sailed on them.

I know the Kippers on board are Scottish and Grilled.

I also never saw anyone order the Poached Halibut in Melted Butter all the time we sailed. 

I personally like the Smoked Salmon plate in the Morn for Breakfast with all the accompaniments. Smoked Salmon with creamed cheese on a bagel with possibly a slice of red onion will definitely hold me to lunch even it is a bit later.

Hope you one day do try Kippers.

The Kippers that my dining companion had were grilled.  

I also enjoy a Smoked Salmon plate for Breakfast from time to time.  Not my favorite, but something different.  Rather like ordering a bowl of Congee on a rare occasion.  

Kippers will be an item I will choose when I next sail.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, rkacruiser said:

The Kippers that my dining companion had were grilled.  

I also enjoy a Smoked Salmon plate for Breakfast from time to time.  Not my favorite, but something different.  Rather like ordering a bowl of Congee on a rare occasion.  

Kippers will be an item I will choose when I next sail.  

Grilled kippers...mmmm...no thanks.  Creamed smoked Finan Haddie...aka Findon Haddock...you bet!  Best served on toast.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Grilled kippers...mmmm...no thanks.  Creamed smoked Finan Haddie...aka Findon Haddock...you bet!  Best served on toast.  

I don't recall seeing such a dish on a menu.  Ignorance is now going to show.  Are Kippers Haddock?  

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't recall seeing such a dish on a menu.  Ignorance is now going to show.  Are Kippers Haddock?  

Kippers are smoked herring.  I tried them once...mehhh.  When I was very young and onboard the Bremen I asked our German waiter, one morning, about kippers.  His reaction was to make a face and go “yeuuuk”...LOL.  Years later I did try kippers and I had the same reaction as our German waiter.  

Now smoked haddock is a whole different story.  When properly prepared in a cream sauce it is really delish...served on toast of course.  You might run into it on one of the upper crust lines.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Now smoked haddock is a whole different story.  When properly prepared in a cream sauce it is really delish...served on toast of course.  You might run into it on one of the upper crust lines.  

Why ought it to be served on toast?  Because of the cream sauce, I am thinking.  Just as Creamed Dried Beef is usually served on toast,

• 2 weeks later...

What is Your Favorite First Morning Breakfast..????  or any other day fro that matter

on Princess would be :-

Glass of grapefruit juice,

Fresh fruit and berries

Maybe a cranberry juice and champagne ( cranmosia )

Flat white 

Belgian waffles with cream and maple syrup and berries or cook apple

OR

5 grain toast with eggs over easy and english bacon and maybe a little maple syrup

and finish with a small muffin   and another Flat white

Cheers Don

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Never thought about that combination!  

It was recommended by the people at the next table... at the beginning to the cruise    by the end most ot the tables in restaurant.... were having one.....

( under premise it was healthier than orange juice...lol ) 

Don

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

What is Swedish Pancakes? I have never heared about that before.

They are crepes rolled into a tube filled with a custard type filling that I suspect has a cream cheese base.  A small amount of Lingonberry Sauce is served over them.  A light dusting of Powdered Sugar often is the final touch to the dish.  (Different chefs sometimes have their own "variations".  Regardless, they are delicious and something that I don't get very often.)

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

They are crepes rolled into a tube filled with a custard type filling that I suspect has a cream cheese base.  A small amount of Lingonberry Sauce is served over them.  A light dusting of Powdered Sugar often is the final touch to the dish.  (Different chefs sometimes have their own "variations".  Regardless, they are delicious and something that I don't get very often.)

I have never seen that in Sweden!

Thank you for informing me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, still_c said:

For me the perfect breakfast is benedict egg, some bacon and fresh orange juice. 

Ditto still_c,

That is the first breakfast and disembarkation breakfast on board.

We alternate OJ with Cranberry J.

The other breakfast is Smoked Salmon, Toasted Bagel, Red Onion and Schmear of Cream Cheese and a good cup of coffee.

17 hours ago, still_c said:

fresh orange juice. 

Fresh squeezed Orange Juice once upon a time was available in the Lido Restaurants of the ships of the Holland America Line.  Not sure that the MDR ever provided that, however.   During my most recent HAL cruises, if there was any pulp in the juice, it was not noticeable.    

still_c:  I note that you are a very new addition to the Cruise Critic community.  Welcome to our "family"!  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Which line has the best breakfast??  Can we see some menus so we can compare??  

Being on Cunard the most, we are satisfied with their product. Mostly in the Dining Room over the Kings Court. Not putting down the Court but we prefer sitting down and being served.

The Court has many selections to pick up and walk around. Some will take time to replace. Sitting down selections are placed on the table from the kitchen made to order.

We really don't remember HAL..

Copies of sample menus are on the website to view. 

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Being on Cunard the most, we are satisfied with their product. Mostly in the Dining Room over the Kings Court.

I remember the Britannia Restaurant's breakfast being very extensive, reminding me of the breakfast menus that I have seen from Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.  The menus had more selections than the Restaurant's dinner menus.  Do not have those menus, however.

KIngs Court?  a disorganized mess as far as I was concerned.  

• Like 1