What is Your Favorite First Morning Breakfast...

BklynBoy8

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Fried bread:  I don't know how it is made, but it was tasty. Probably not very healthful.  I was familiar with baked beans on toast and other English staples, but that was new to me.  I think I'll do some research....

Avocado toast:  We just chop up some ripe avocado and spread it on toast.  We haven't ever had it elsewhere, so don't know if someone else might add other ingredients or flavors.  But anything that gives me more avocado is good!

Revrick, Did the bread pudding have sauces (vanilla and/or chocolate) to put on top?  Mmmm.

Fried bread is the only way I make toast…everyday!  I love artisan breads and we have a great selection around here.  I freeze it then throw it the microwave for 40 seconds then cut a piece off.  Frozen bread cuts more evenly and it is as fresh as the day you bought it.  Pre sliced bread can go directly into the pan without the microwave.  I take a fry pan and heat up 1 or 2 pats of butter and a teaspoon of butter substitute like Olivio.  Heat it up until foaming then place the bread so it soaks up all the butter,etc.  I usually place another pan on top of the bread to weight it down and cook the toast on high heat…usually less than a minute for perfect results.  Then flip the bread and shut the heat off.  This is so much better than a toaster and you get to precisely control the amount of butter!  

I believe the English style fried bread is cooked in oil.  I much prefer my own method.😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I both looked back in our old minds and we dont remember it having a sauce on top, if there was it was VERY light. The BP is just so light and smooth, not dry or chewy like some can be. I think I might have started something about having it for breakfast. We did not get it in  the buffet at breakfast but asked for it in MDR and they got us some then. It is good for any meal really. Never had any better than this on X. 

We tend to mix our breakfast between buffet and MDR just to get different items. It all usually good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Fried bread is the only way I make toast…everyday!

Thanks for your description of how you prepare this.  I decline.  Too early in the morning for me to go through that type of preparation.  My toaster does a very satisfactory job for me for any breakfast bread.  

On 12/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, shipgeeks said:

Avocado toast:  We just chop up some ripe avocado and spread it on toast. 

👎    Other than Parsnips, there isn't any other food that I have tried that I like least than Avocado.  Guess my taste buds aren't "trendy" enough?  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

👎    Other than Parsnips, there isn't any other food that I have tried that I like least than Avocado.  Guess my taste buds aren't "trendy" enough?  

I’m right there with you RK.  Avocado just doesn’t excite my taste buds.  

• Like 1

Good conversation, and good that there are foods for all of us!

I love avocados.  I would not love bread fried in butter, lol.

Correct; I learned that English fried bread is made in olive oil.

Now I'm wondering if I've ever had a parsnip.  I do like some root vegetables.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Good conversation, and good that there are foods for all of us!

I love avocados.  I would not love bread fried in butter, lol.

Correct; I learned that English fried bread is made in olive oil.

Now I'm wondering if I've ever had a parsnip.  I do like some root vegetables.

Parsnips are a spicy root vegetable.  They are best served on their own and not mixed in with other vegetables.   

10 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Now I'm wondering if I've ever had a parsnip.  I do like some root vegetables

CGTNormandie said that parsnips were a spicy root vegetable.  I don't recall any spice taste.  I didn't like the taste--whatever it was--nor the texture of the vegetable.

It took many years before I found that I liked turnips.  Not my favorite vegetable, to be sure, but, when I was growing up and my Mother prepared a dish that included both potatoes and turnips, I was allowed to skip the turnips, but, I had to eat one, at least, before that "grace" was granted.  

• Like 1

RK, Your family sounds like mine.  I applied that principle when I was a camp counselor, asking the kids at my table to at least try everything on their plates.  I guess they didn't always like that.  For a group hike one day we were each given a bag lunch to take along.  I discovered it contained prunes, my least favorite item. Yes, the kids noticed that I wasn't eating my prunes, and held me to the rule.

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

CGTNormandie said that parsnips were a spicy root vegetable.  I don't recall any spice taste.  I didn't like the taste--whatever it was--nor the texture of the vegetable.

It took many years before I found that I liked turnips.  Not my favorite vegetable, to be sure, but, when I was growing up and my Mother prepared a dish that included both potatoes and turnips, I was allowed to skip the turnips, but, I had to eat one, at least, before that "grace" was granted.  

I find that the parsnips I get where we live have a little "bite" to them, as compared to other slightly sweet root veg. Personally, I enjoy them roasted along with carrots, onions, and possibly potatoes or another similar vegetable/tuber. I think they blend nicely with others that way. 

I enjoy turnips now, but did not as a child. My mother used to put rutabaga in her beef stew, and I did like that preparation, but straight turnips or rutabaga I wouldn't have eaten then. 

9 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I enjoy turnips now, but did not as a child.

It's interesting to me to learn how our tastes change as we mature.  As a child, if the cheese was not "Velveeta", my Brother and I had no interest in it.  Now, with the exception of Blue Cheese and Limburger, I enjoy whatever cheese I eat.

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I discovered it contained prunes, my least favorite item.

Do you still dislike prunes?  I have found that dried fruits like prunes and apricots are items that I like.  I buy a bottle of Prune Juice and will initially drink a few glasses.  Then, the bottle sits in my refrigerator, taking up space, for some time, until I decide to finish the bottle.  

On 12/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, rkacruiser said:

Do you still dislike prunes?  I have found that dried fruits like prunes and apricots are items that I like.  I buy a bottle of Prune Juice and will initially drink a few glasses.  Then, the bottle sits in my refrigerator, taking up space, for some time, until I decide to finish the bottle.  

We like to buy a container of prunes and cooking them till in water.

We use the liquid for juice and the prunes as a breakfast fruit.

Normally we order prunes or the juice when we are land based or sailing for regulatory reason to be honest. 

Fried bread is fairly common in the UK.  We used to have it all the time.  Bread was just fried in bacon grease.  I have seen it on Celebrity but always pass it by as it looks really oily.  Maybe I should try it.

My favorite breakfast on a cruise ship is corned beef hash with a side of crisp bacon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Fried bread is fairly common in the UK.  We used to have it all the time.  Bread was just fried in bacon grease.  I have seen it on Celebrity but always pass it by as it looks really oily.  Maybe I should try it.

My favorite breakfast on a cruise ship is corned beef hash with a side of crisp bacon.

Sounds good. I like it with a Fried Egg on top...

• Like 1

Corned Beef Hash sometimes is prepared in the Galley and does not come from a "supplier" of some sort.  But, from my experience, this is a rarity.  During one cruise--on the Prinsendam--there was Corned Beef--and not much, if any--"hash".  No potatoes, etc.  Quite good nonetheless.  

On 12/25/2021 at 1:31 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I like it with a Fried Egg on top...

I prefer two Poached Eggs that are still "runny" when my fork breaks into them.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:05 AM, TeaBag said:

Bacon?  More meat?  I understand and I agree.  But, my cardiologist would not approve.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Corned Beef Hash sometimes is prepared in the Galley and does not come from a "supplier" of some sort.  But, from my experience, this is a rarity.  During one cruise--on the Prinsendam--there was Corned Beef--and not much, if any--"hash".  No potatoes, etc.  Quite good nonetheless.  

I just looked on the QM2 Breakfast Menu and Corned Beef Hash is listed under Sides....

Side Orders
English Bacon, Streaky Bacon, Corned Beef Hash, Cumberland Sausage, Chicken Sausage, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Grilled Tomato, Sautéed Potatoes, Hash Brown

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I just looked on the QM2 Breakfast Menu and Corned Beef Hash is listed under Sides....

Side Orders
English Bacon, Streaky Bacon, Corned Beef Hash, Cumberland Sausage, Chicken Sausage, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Grilled Tomato, Sautéed Potatoes, Hash Brown

No Ham?  I recall from Cunard breakfast menus of the distant past that there was a variety of hams offered.  Baked Beans, I know, is an "English thing" for breakfast.  I enjoy Baked Beans, but not for breakfast.  

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No Ham?  I recall from Cunard breakfast menus of the distant past that there was a variety of hams offered.  Baked Beans, I know, is an "English thing" for breakfast.  I enjoy Baked Beans, but not for breakfast.  

Sorry, this was from my last voyage.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry, this was from my last voyage.

A "cut back"?  I don't think I can recall a cruise ship's breakfast menu that did not offer "ham" of some type.  On MSC Meraviglia, the Yacht Club Breakfast Menu offered (and still does on those that have been posted for 2021 sailings) Prague Ham.  I ordered that one morning wondering if I would notice any difference from the "ham" with which I am familiar.  Taste was the same; appearance was the same; slice was a bit thin.  That was the difference.  But, it was good.