What is your Favorite Juice at Breakfast Time

BklynBoy8

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends.........CGT......how are you feeling?🙂.........I went on a cruise to Greece on July 6th.......sailed from the 8th to the 18th. Got back last Sunday. Can't believe I have been home a week.......and I realized how much I loved cruising........so much so, I booked another cruise---going to Alaska next month😃

Anyway, I love fresh squeezed orange juice.......

Hope all of you are doing well🙂

Hi Lois all is well here…strong recovery.  

My favorite juice…passion fruit sometimes mixed with fresh orange or pineapple.  Try and find passion fruit onboard a ship!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois all is well here…strong recovery.  

My favorite juice…passion fruit sometimes mixed with fresh orange or pineapple.  Try and find passion fruit onboard a ship!

Glad you are doing good!!!

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My favorite juice…passion fruit

The store where I have found my Guava Juice also has Passion Fruit Juice.  I'll buy a bottle when I next shop there.  I think I would like that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The store where I have found my Guava Juice also has Passion Fruit Juice.  I'll buy a bottle when I next shop there.  I think I would like that.  

You will definitely enjoy passion fruit juice.  It also is a great mixer for Tiki drinks!  

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I have always enjoyed fresh squeezed OJ (I know this is not original).  In recent years it has become difficult to find on many cruise lines.  Even on Seabourn, for whatever reason, they do not serve fresh squeezed on the Collonade unless you make a specific request.  It cracks me up that I am on a line that routinely serves French Champagne, caviar, etc. but no longer routinely has fresh squeezed OJ unless one makes the request..  

Hank

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have always enjoyed fresh squeezed OJ (I know this is not original).  In recent years it has become difficult to find on many cruise lines.  Even on Seabourn, for whatever reason, they do not serve fresh squeezed on the Collonade unless you make a specific request.  It cracks me up that I am on a line that routinely serves French Champagne, caviar, etc. but no longer routinely has fresh squeezed OJ unless one makes the request..  

Hank

Hi Hank, thanks for joining in.  Fresh squeezed OJ can be a bit of a problem at certain times of the year.  It all depends on what variety of oranges is available.  I suppose it also depends on the location of the ship.    I can understand why Seabourn doesn’t have it all the time.  MSC Yacht Club has fresh squeezed most of the time.  RCI sells it as an extra drink some of the time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Hank, thanks for joining in.  Fresh squeezed OJ can be a bit of a problem at certain times of the year.  It all depends on what variety of oranges is available.  I suppose it also depends on the location of the ship.    I can understand why Seabourn doesn’t have it all the time.  MSC Yacht Club has fresh squeezed most of the time.  RCI sells it as an extra drink some of the time.  

Our next cruise will be out of Miami on MSC (in the YC) so we again look forward to decent OJ.  On Seabourn I think it is just a quiet change of policy.  When we first cruised on MSC if you order OJ (anywhere) it was fresh squeezed.  But after COVID that changed (although nobody officially acknowledges this).  Like most things on Seabourn, if you ask you will get!  I like to say that the word "No" is not in the vocabulary of Seabourn crew.  But the difference is that you now need to ask in most venues.  It almost became comical on our recent month cruise on the Ovation (which started from Miami where there are plenty of oranges).  On our first sea day, DW and I ordered mimosas from the comfort of our deck chairs.  On SB you would expect that to be made with real French Champagne and fresh OJ.  What we got had the Champagne but was obviously not fresh OJ.  So the next day I went to the pool bar and ordered mimosas and ask the bar tender if he had fresh OJ,  He told me he did not have any at the bar but would get some for our drinks.  He soon returned with a pitcher of fresh squeezed OJ.  For the rest of the cruise he always kept a pitcher of fresh OJ at the bar (this is typical SB service) but only used it when folks asked!  Otherwise, they got something not quite as good.  

But this is no different than ordering eggs on most ships.  If you order an omelet on most ships it will be made with pasteurized eggs that come out of a milk carton-like box.  On better cruise lines, you can usually request that they use fresh/real eggs and the cooks will normally comply.  But again, you must ask.  For the record I am not a fan of the pasteurized eggs because the texture of the omelet is just not quite right.   When we live in Mexico (during the winter) I can buy fresh eggs (never refrigerated) just about anywhere.  Those eggs have amazing flavor and texture (unlike what happens to our eggs when we put them in the fridge for a few weeks).  But I do digress....but we must admit that a decent omelet should be accompanied with fresh squeezed OJ,

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But I do digress....but we must admit that a decent omelet should be accompanied with fresh squeezed OJ,

Comments with which I can agree!  "Fresh" is always better than its opposite.  But, why has it come to the time when one has to ask for such?  On some cruise lines, is fresh squeezed OJ even available?  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Comments with which I can agree!  "Fresh" is always better than its opposite.  But, why has it come to the time when one has to ask for such?  On some cruise lines, is fresh squeezed OJ even available?  

I swear you find my posts wherever they may be :).  On all the mass market lines that we cruise, fresh OJ has disappeared except in certain venues where it can be bought (for a price).  I can still recall when fresh squeezed OJ was a norm on Celebrity ships (they had a big machine one could watch as it mangled loads of oranges.  The machine is now gone as is the fresh OJ.  The last time we were on Celebrity they had crappy reconstituted OJ for free and something they called "Premium OJ" for a price.  And even that premium stuff was not fresh squeezed.    On Princess there was no fresh squeezed OJ (perhaps it was available somewhere for a price).  

I think fresh squeezed OJ has gone the way of cold water lobster tail!  Deep into the sea!

Hank

Hank, I can see you are going to be a big hit on the Foodie Thread.  I totally agree.  When I have breakfast on the YC Pool Deck I take the undercooked bacon off the buffet and give it to the man who cooks the eggs and have him finish it in the pan followed by two eggs over easy cooked in the same pan.  If he had a bowl and whisk available I’d whip up an omelette!  That’s where the mushrooms would come in.  I also like my toast or English grilled in butter until browned…lol.  

Fresh squeezed OJ:  Believe it or not…once upon a time I had a muffin shop.  We sold homemade muffins, coffee and I actually made fresh squeezed OJ and bottled it.  We had a big stainless wash tub packed with ice and a mountain of OJ in the half pint bottles.  The secret was that I could not get good consistent juice oranges year round at the commercial fruit market.  I had to take the more expensive imported oranges and mix the juice with a frozen commercial OJ that had the pulp in it.  The results were better than fresh squeezed.  I couldn’t make enough of these as they were flying out the door…lol.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I swear you find my posts wherever they may be 🙂

I think we access the same threads and have backgrounds that warrant our participation on those threads.  I sometimes wonder how worthwhile some of my posts are, but, whatever I post is based on my experience, my opinions which, I think, are relatively well informed, and my desire to help others.  CC has helped me.  Not just good information, but, developing a network of friends through the Roll Call feature that would not have happened, I don't think.

We have never met; yet, I feel that I know you as well as some others with whom I have shared conversations.  We don't always agree.  And, that is what "friends" experience.  

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I can still recall when fresh squeezed OJ was a norm on Celebrity ships (they had a big machine one could watch as it mangled loads of oranges.  The machine is now gone as is the fresh OJ

HAL's Lido Restaurants had such a machine.  

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I also like my toast or English grilled in butter until browned…lol.  

Toast?  English Muffin?  I have these items as part of my daily breakfast (although my Chef, me, wouldn't do such a preparation.  When I cruise, I want a different bread option.  Sticky Buns, quality croissants and danish, and lots of butter will satisfy me.   

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Toast?  English Muffin?  I have these items as part of my daily breakfast (although my Chef, me, wouldn't do such a preparation.  When I cruise, I want a different bread option.  Sticky Buns, quality croissants and danish, and lots of butter will satisfy me.   

When I am at sea I always start the day with a croissant with butter!  Sticky buns and pastry comes a little later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When we are on the QM2, we don't get English Muffin but crumpets. If you need it English Muffins are available but Crumpets are great with their English Jams.

When on the Queen, we get a choice of breads in a basket. The same that are in the Kings Court Buffet. My favorite is their Pretzel Rolls w Sea Salt topped. 

Scones not till Tea Time. 

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

English Muffins are available but Crumpets 

What is the difference between the two?

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Scones not till Tea Time. 

Of course  Do you prefer with Raisins or not?  

What is the difference between the two?

Of course  Do you prefer with Raisins or not?  

EM more bread like and CPT has a spongy texture. Both great toasted for Devon Butter & Jam.....

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

EM more bread like and CPT has a spongy texture. Both great toasted for Devon Butter & Jam.....

My Thomas English Muffins texture and taste seems to differ from what store I buy them.  Different bakeries of the Company produce a slightly different product and supply different grocers?  That's the only thing that I can think to explain the difference. 

Or, it's another "supply chain issue of some type"?  🙂 

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My Thomas English Muffins texture and taste seems to differ from what store I buy them.  Different bakeries of the Company produce a slightly different product and supply different grocers?  That's the only thing that I can think to explain the difference. 

Or, it's another "supply chain issue of some type"?  🙂 

Thomas’s EMs are the best where we are and I’ve tried them all.  We have a special at Stop and Shop once in a while where you buy one and get two more free.  I stock up and throw them in the freezer…great!  We do have a bakery down the street that makes them…and I hope to try those soon.  I grill them in butter and Olivio…better than toasted.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have a special at Stop and Shop once in a while where you buy one and get two more free.  I stock up and throw them in the freezer…great!  

For me, the best deal that I can find for them is when the grocery has a "buy one, get one free".  That's becoming increasingly rare, however, recently.  I have wondered about freezing them.  Do you put them in another package or just their original packaging?  When you are ready to use a package, do you thaw in your refrigerator the package or just the muffins you are going to use?  

I like their seasonal flavors like Cranberry as a change from the "regulars".  Their Cinnamon Raisin is good, but Thomas' Cinnamon Raisin Bread is even better, I think.  

For me, the best deal that I can find for them is when the grocery has a "buy one, get one free".  That's becoming increasingly rare, however, recently.  I have wondered about freezing them.  Do you put them in another package or just their original packaging?  When you are ready to use a package, do you thaw in your refrigerator the package or just the muffins you are going to use?  

I like their seasonal flavors like Cranberry as a change from the "regulars".  Their Cinnamon Raisin is good, but Thomas' Cinnamon Raisin Bread is even better, I think.  

Homemade Cranberry Juice is nice for a short time. Have to control the tartness. 

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Cranberry Juice is nice

I like a variety of juices for breakfast.  I really like Florida's Natural OJ with the most pulp, but, switching to V-8 and to Cranberry Juice is a welcome change on some mornings.  Would also drink Grapefruit Juice, if one of my medicines would allow that.

• 2 weeks later...

The Azamara Energiser juice is a clear winner. If you are looking for cure at breakfast time, look no further.

There is orange juice, apple juice, ginger, turmeric and a few other secret ingredients. Definitely worth looking out for.

If it doesn't work, check out one of Ruby's early morning cocktails for a hair of the dog.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Funny reading this thread - from a year ago, but living in California, sometimes you don't realize you're spoiled! Does Kerns not exist everywhere in the US? In California, it's everywhere (their guava nectar, while very sugary, is pretty solid.) The POG juice on Celebrity is the even sweeter and more processed-tasting stuff from a concentrate, but it's still not bad. Honestly, it's hard to make a bad POG juice, haha. 

My favorite "juice" at breakfast when I'm cruising with an included drinks package, which I've gotten super-spoiled about at this point... is bloody mary mix and gin 😛. (And extra hot sauce. Maybe a slice of bacon?)

4 hours ago, neminem said:

s bloody mary mix and gin 😛. (And extra hot sauce.

For a mid-to late morning breakfast or for brunch, a Bloody Mary with Vodka is a drink I enjoy.  I do like it spicy served with a stick of celery and some pimento stuffed olives.  For an early morning breakfast, not a Bloody Mary.  Don't want to begin drinking that early in the day.