What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

I always like a Manhattan straight up with a twist of lemon.

Also if topical like the Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian to name a few. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 7/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I always like a Manhattan straight up with a twist of lemon.

Also if topical like the Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian to name a few. 

My beverage preferences have changed as I have become more senior.  (I prefer the word "senior" rather than "older".)

Never a beer drinker in college;  I know, I was odd.  

Began as a Lowenbrau drinker because a restaurant that I patronized had it as a feature.  After a difficult week, when I went to dinner that evening and saw the special, I ordered it and enjoyed.  (I needed it.)

That led to more beer drinking, leading me to Michelob.  I liked that enough and was purchasing enough that I invested in Anheuser-Busch for many years and was well rewarded by doing so.

No longer interested in brews after the Company was sold, I started to search elsewhere.  I have ended up with wine.  Like you, a Mai Tai, a Blue Hawaiian, a Pina Colada, a well prepared Rum Punch are enjoyed on cruises of a tropical nature.  

My current favorites are my stand-by Canadian Club/7, making the CC a double.  And, Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc which is a wine that I have had more than one HAL bartender tell me that he agrees that it is a superior Sauvignon Blanc.  

For a night cap, I like a Green Creme de Menthe on ice.  Never had a problem getting such until I was a guest in Yacht Club of MSC Meraviglia in January.  No Green Creme de Menthe was aboard in any bar.  The YC Lounge had some version of that.  The bartender gave me a taste to see if I liked it.  It was so strong without the Creme de Menthe taste:  👎.  If I had drank the entire jigger, my Butler would have to be summoned to take me to my suite and put me to bed.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My beverage preferences have changed as I have become more senior.  (I prefer the word "senior" rather than "older".)

Never a beer drinker in college;  I know, I was odd.  

Began as a Lowenbrau drinker because a restaurant that I patronized had it as a feature.  After a difficult week, when I went to dinner that evening and saw the special, I ordered it and enjoyed.  (I needed it.)

That led to more beer drinking, leading me to Michelob.  I liked that enough and was purchasing enough that I invested in Anheuser-Busch for many years and was well rewarded by doing so.

No longer interested in brews after the Company was sold, I started to search elsewhere.  I have ended up with wine.  Like you, a Mai Tai, a Blue Hawaiian, a Pina Colada, a well prepared Rum Punch are enjoyed on cruises of a tropical nature.  

My current favorites are my stand-by Canadian Club/7, making the CC a double.  And, Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc which is a wine that I have had more than one HAL bartender tell me that he agrees that it is a superior Sauvignon Blanc.  

For a night cap, I like a Green Creme de Menthe on ice.  Never had a problem getting such until I was a guest in Yacht Club of MSC Meraviglia in January.  No Green Creme de Menthe was aboard in any bar.  The YC Lounge had some version of that.  The bartender gave me a taste to see if I liked it.  It was so strong without the Creme de Menthe taste:  👎.  If I had drank the entire jigger, my Butler would have to be summoned to take me to my suite and put me to bed.  

Hi Rikacruiser,

Great Subject Matter....

For evenings like a cordial in the Royal Court Theater before the show starts. Like to sip a cordial like Sambuca, White Creme de Menthe or Frangelico...All straight up.. Sometimes they drop a coffee bean into the Sambuca and lite it.

My favorite wines are Blush Zinfandel and also a nice clean clear Pinot Grigio.

Some of the old fashion cocktails will still test Bar T's with are High Balls, Side Cars, Old Fashions, Gibson, Godfather or Godmother. Some don't know a Cape Cod. Also Whiskey Sour. Use to like to sip my Mom's Brandy Alexanders.

My beer history. Yes Lowenbrau in an old German Restaurant in NYC.... Luchow's on 14th Street.

Others Dinkelacker, Boddington's, Sam Adams, Good Draught fresh from the Pub on board. Some of the brews from the local Micro Breweries especially in the Mid Hudson Valley.

Cheers...

Edited by BklynBoy8

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

my Mom's Brandy Alexanders.

My Father enjoyed these when my family went out for dinner.  Just not what I want as a final evening drink before bed.

A beer regret because I had not yet developed the taste for it was on my first 2 HAL cruises on Rotterdam V.  Draft Heineken was sold for 10 cents per glass! 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, rkacruiser said:

My Father enjoyed these when my family went out for dinner.  Just not what I want as a final evening drink before bed.

A beer regret because I had not yet developed the taste for it was on my first 2 HAL cruises on Rotterdam V.  Draft Heineken was sold for 10 cents per glass! 

Funny how we remember the Brandy Alexanders.  I got used to a very curious combination when sailing through rough North Atlantic weather...when the ship was rocking and rolling.  I asked a bartender onboard the SS France...what to drink to stave off seas sickness.  He made me a Brandy Alexander with a draft beer chaser.  I thought he was crazy but he insisted I try it.  It worked!!  I still enjoy that combination when at sea...occasionally of course.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Funny how we remember the Brandy Alexanders.  I got used to a very curious combination when sailing through rough North Atlantic weather...when the ship was rocking and rolling.  I asked a bartender onboard the SS France...what to drink to stave off seas sickness.  He made me a Brandy Alexander with a draft beer chaser.  I thought he was crazy but he insisted I try it.  It worked!!  I still enjoy that combination when at sea...occasionally of course.

🤨  I would never have thought to ask a bartender what to drink to stave off sea sickness.  Not prone to sea sickness, but I will put that combination in my memory bank in case I need it in the future.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

🤨  I would never have thought to ask a bartender what to drink to stave off sea sickness.  Not prone to sea sickness, but I will put that combination in my memory bank in case I need it in the future.  

Hi RK,

Back in those days the bartenders had time to chat with the patrons.  Most of the bartenders of the French Line and Cunard had been there for decades.  Some were second and third generation.  They were full of information and sea stories and readily willing to recount their stories and advice.  If you took the time to make conversation you were usually rewarded with good advice, and more often than not, a refill on the house...lol.  On an Atlantic crossing I would seat myself at one of the bars every morning at 11:30 AM and order a draft beer...biere a pressure on the French Line.  After the second beer I would be in conversation with the bartender.  They all had interesting stories...some of them were very funny.  There would be bowls of whole green olives and cheese crackers.  Maybe a third beer and then it was time to meet my wife and go to lunch...great memories.  The beer and Brandy Alexander worked for me!  In those days you were well cared for.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

Back in those days the bartenders had time to chat with the patrons.  Most of the bartenders of the French Line and Cunard had been there for decades.  Some were second and third generation.  They were full of information and sea stories and readily willing to recount their stories and advice.  If you took the time to make conversation you were usually rewarded with good advice, and more often than not, a refill on the house...lol.  On an Atlantic crossing I would seat myself at one of the bars every morning at 11:30 AM and order a draft beer...biere a pressure on the French Line.  After the second beer I would be in conversation with the bartender.  They all had interesting stories...some of them were very funny.  There would be bowls of whole green olives and cheese crackers.  Maybe a third beer and then it was time to meet my wife and go to lunch...great memories.  The beer and Brandy Alexander worked for me!  In those days you were well cared for.  

I appreciate reading your remembrance of your experiences.  I really do so!  "Those were the Days" as a theme song said that was the prelude to a popular TV show sometime ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Dad always enjoyed on any cruise ship and the QE2 & QM2 his favorite "Rob Roy".

He always respected a good and professional bartender that measured a shake that would fill the glass to the "rim"..

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

My favorite is Bombay Sapphire Gin & Tonic.....

Hi BB,  I’m a bit late answering this...LOL...but we are all sitting around at home waiting for our Covid shots.  I have always loved gin and tonic until I found out what was in tonic!  Take a look at the ingredients...OMG!  Now I make a replacement using lime concentrate similar to lemonade...with a wedge of lime and topped off with lemon and lime soda water.  This tastes even better than tonic water and is a lot healthier...love my G&T.

BB mentioned the Manhattan as his go-to.  I also love Manhattans but I drive the bartenders and stewards crazy.  I order my Manhattan served straight up slightly sweet with the dirty rocks (the remains from the shaker) on the side and a separate glass of ice.  The Manhattan is so potent that I mix the remains and add fresh ice as I sip along...a completely sublime experience...and always two cherries!

Another version of the Manhattan...a bit quirky but very tasty.  This is accomplished by adding a slice of lime pickle to the Manhattan. It gives a hint of curry to the drink and is very tasty and packs a wallop.  I call it a Gurkha.   

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

I have been experimenting at home with exotic cocktails and tiki drinks lately due to lockdowns and Covid isolation.  I really wanted to recreate some of the popular drinks we have always found onboard ship.  Here are a few of the things I have found that might help you as well.  

Lately I have been going to the Hispanic section of my super market.  I am finding all kinds of exotic fruit juices.  Now I’m able to expand my tiki repertoire to new levels by using some of the recipes online and adding these new fruit concoctions.  Keeping a selection of homemade syrups also improves the tiki experience.  These are easy to make...they really are simple syrups.  Go online and see all the recipes for tiki cocktails.
The only problem is that I have had to set up a whole new bar in our pantry...LOL.  I am now completely outfitted with bottles of rum and gin, etc. along with all the requisite fruit brandies.  I have also added appropriate tiki glasses, blender and cocktail shakers, etc.  If we can’t go to sea at least we can recreate the feeling...LOL.  

Pina Colada:  This is a very popular drink.  I have found several tricks that enhance this drink to your standard recipe.  Try boiling your pineapple juice to reduce it and enhance it with a hint of pineapple flavoring...in order to up the intensity.  Or...try using pineapple frozen concentrate.  Adding crushed pineapple is another good enhancement.  Also try adding 1/2 ounce of white Creme de Cacao for a totally multi dimensional Pina Colada.

Having friends in your suite onboard for a cocktail party?  This is always a bit of a dilemma when trying to plan a casual get together with friends while you are cruising.  I find a simple solution that limits all the fuss is a batch of French 75’s or some variations.  Get your steward or butler to set you up with a large pitcher, plenty of ice, glasses...or flutes, a glass of lemon sour mix from any friendly bartender, and a glass of brandy or cognac.  Fill the pitcher half way with ice, 4 ounces of lemon sour mix, then add brandy or cognac.  Pour an entire bottle of Champagne or Prosecco into the pitcher and stir gently.  You can vary the brandy with peach brandy for a Bellini or blackberry, raspberry, etc.  Who doesn’t like Champagne with fruit?  Be careful...these can be quickly intoxicating.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The only problem is that I have had to set up a whole new bar in our pantry...LOL.  I am now completely outfitted with bottles of rum and gin, etc. along with all the requisite fruit brandies.  I have also added appropriate tiki glasses, blender and cocktail shakers, etc.  If we can’t go to sea at least we can recreate the feeling...LOL.  

Maybe you have created a new business for yourself?  

I prefer a simple adult beverage.  A quality wine, preferably a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as a white wine, but there are some Australian and from Chile that are very good.  Not a real fan of red wines; headaches afterwards seem to be an issue.  But, quality Pinot Noir's and me seem to get along.  

Still enjoy a Pina Colada, Bacardi Cocktail on the rocks, and always a CC-7.  

Do you have any preferences for an after dinner beverage?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe you have created a new business for yourself?  

I prefer a simple adult beverage.  A quality wine, preferably a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as a white wine, but there are some Australian and from Chile that are very good.  Not a real fan of red wines; headaches afterwards seem to be an issue.  But, quality Pinot Noir's and me seem to get along.  

Still enjoy a Pina Colada, Bacardi Cocktail on the rocks, and always a CC-7.  

Do you have any preferences for an after dinner beverage?  

Did you say After Dinner Beverages...Aperitifs?  Hmmmmm...we can start with ports.  I prefer Ruby Ports.  Then we have the sherries especially the Spanish Jerez.  Moving on we have the dessert wines, Graves Superior, Lillith, and various liqueurs.  Then there are all the flavored coffees followed by shots of Sambuca or flavored brandies.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Did you say After Dinner Beverages...

I prefer a cream sherry if I am going to drink a sherry.  My favorite after dinner drink is a Green Creme de Menthe on the rocks or Disaronno Amaretto on the rocks.  

Last January on MSC Meraviglia, I requested a Green Creme de Menthe at the Yacht Club bar.  "We don't have that" was the bartender's response.  (I was incredulous.  How could a ship sail without stocking such a basic liqueur.)  Quizzing him, he did offer an Italian green liquid that was unfamiliar to me.  I tried it; my goodness, if I had drunk the entire small shot he poured, a Butler would have had to lead me to my stateroom and put me in bed.  It didn't taste good and it must have been a zillion proof.  

Not believing the bartender's claim, I tried ordering a Green Creme de Menthe at two other watering holes outside of YC and got the same response:  what?  We don't have that.  I can't understand, yet, how the Beverage Manager of the ship would not have ordered that liqueur.

Not fond of after dinner coffees with any liqueur in them.  HAL serves a "Captain's Coffee"--don't remember what liqueur is in that--that is a very warming and welcoming beverage when one is cruising in cold regions.  

I have to be very careful of drinking coffee at dinner time and later.  Decaf:  yes, I can get away with that.  But, a shot of Tia Maria in decaf coffee just doesn't seem quite right.  

Edited by rkacruiser

On board... pre diner is same as  :-

On 10/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

My favorite is Bombay Sapphire Gin & Tonic.....

At home either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray with diet ( no sugar ) tonic and a slice of lime....

Away   sometime a dry Martini  Tanqueray No.10 a bit of Noilly Prat with a twist of lemon..

After dinner   a Hennessy XO  or a Single Malt

Don

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I prefer a cream sherry if I am going to drink a sherry.  My favorite after dinner drink is a Green Creme de Menthe on the rocks or Disaronno Amaretto on the rocks.  

Last January on MSC Meraviglia, I requested a Green Creme de Menthe at the Yacht Club bar.  "We don't have that" was the bartender's response.  (I was incredulous.  How could a ship sail without stocking such a basic liqueur.)  Quizzing him, he did offer an Italian green liquid that was unfamiliar to me.  I tried it; my goodness, if I had drunk the entire small shot he poured, a Butler would have had to lead me to my stateroom and put me in bed.  It didn't taste good and it must have been a zillion proof.  

Not believing the bartender's claim, I tried ordering a Green Creme de Menthe at two other watering holes outside of YC and got the same response:  what?  We don't have that.  I can't understand, yet, how the Beverage Manager of the ship would not have ordered that liqueur.

Not fond of after dinner coffees with any liqueur in them.  HAL serves a "Captain's Coffee"--don't remember what liqueur is in that--that is a very warming and welcoming beverage when one is cruising in cold regions.  

I have to be very careful of drinking coffee at dinner time and later.  Decaf:  yes, I can get away with that.  But, a shot of Tia Maria in decaf coffee just doesn't seem quite right.  

Next time ask them if they have peppermint schnapps.  You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.  I’m quite sure MSC would stock peppermint schnapps.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

On board... pre diner is same as  :-

At home either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray with diet ( no sugar ) tonic and a slice of lime....

Away   sometime a dry Martini  Tanqueray No.10 a bit of Noilly Prat with a twist of lemon..

After dinner   a Hennessy XO  or a Single Malt

Don

Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray are favorites made as I have described above.  I had Hendricks on my last cruise...truly sublime.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray are favorites made as I have described above.  I had Hendricks on my last cruise...truly sublime.   

Hendrick   very nice   either as a G&T or a Martini... but should be garnished with a slice of cucumber... as lemon or lime does nothing for it..

It really makes a big difference.... Don

12 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Hendrick   very nice   either as a G&T or a Martini... but should be garnished with a slice of cucumber... as lemon or lime does nothing for it..

It really makes a big difference.... Don

Thanks Don...I’ll give that a go.😄

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Next time ask them if they have peppermint schnapps.  You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.  I’m quite sure MSC would stock peppermint schnapps.  

I was unaware of Peppermint Schnapps.  I researched the difference between Creme de Menthe and Peppermint Schnapps.  Other than the Schnapps having more alcohol, it ought to have been OK.  But, I wonder, may have the bartender served me that which I found to be so very strong?  I may have mispoke in Post #19 about the green liquid being Italian.  I am not sure that it really was Italian and may have assumed that it was.  

Whatever it was, as an after dinner drink and was really a night-cap, I didn't need much more alcohol than I had already consumed that evening.