Cruise Critic Community
BklynBoy8

What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

Posted (edited)

I always like a Manhattan straight up with a twist of lemon.

Also if topical like the Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian to name a few. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 7/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I always like a Manhattan straight up with a twist of lemon.

Also if topical like the Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Blue Hawaiian to name a few. 

My beverage preferences have changed as I have become more senior.  (I prefer the word "senior" rather than "older".)

Never a beer drinker in college;  I know, I was odd.  

Began as a Lowenbrau drinker because a restaurant that I patronized had it as a feature.  After a difficult week, when I went to dinner that evening and saw the special, I ordered it and enjoyed.  (I needed it.)

That led to more beer drinking, leading me to Michelob.  I liked that enough and was purchasing enough that I invested in Anheuser-Busch for many years and was well rewarded by doing so.

No longer interested in brews after the Company was sold, I started to search elsewhere.  I have ended up with wine.  Like you, a Mai Tai, a Blue Hawaiian, a Pina Colada, a well prepared Rum Punch are enjoyed on cruises of a tropical nature.  

My current favorites are my stand-by Canadian Club/7, making the CC a double.  And, Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc which is a wine that I have had more than one HAL bartender tell me that he agrees that it is a superior Sauvignon Blanc.  

For a night cap, I like a Green Creme de Menthe on ice.  Never had a problem getting such until I was a guest in Yacht Club of MSC Meraviglia in January.  No Green Creme de Menthe was aboard in any bar.  The YC Lounge had some version of that.  The bartender gave me a taste to see if I liked it.  It was so strong without the Creme de Menthe taste:  👎.  If I had drank the entire jigger, my Butler would have to be summoned to take me to my suite and put me to bed.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My beverage preferences have changed as I have become more senior.  (I prefer the word "senior" rather than "older".)

Never a beer drinker in college;  I know, I was odd.  

Began as a Lowenbrau drinker because a restaurant that I patronized had it as a feature.  After a difficult week, when I went to dinner that evening and saw the special, I ordered it and enjoyed.  (I needed it.)

That led to more beer drinking, leading me to Michelob.  I liked that enough and was purchasing enough that I invested in Anheuser-Busch for many years and was well rewarded by doing so.

No longer interested in brews after the Company was sold, I started to search elsewhere.  I have ended up with wine.  Like you, a Mai Tai, a Blue Hawaiian, a Pina Colada, a well prepared Rum Punch are enjoyed on cruises of a tropical nature.  

My current favorites are my stand-by Canadian Club/7, making the CC a double.  And, Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc which is a wine that I have had more than one HAL bartender tell me that he agrees that it is a superior Sauvignon Blanc.  

For a night cap, I like a Green Creme de Menthe on ice.  Never had a problem getting such until I was a guest in Yacht Club of MSC Meraviglia in January.  No Green Creme de Menthe was aboard in any bar.  The YC Lounge had some version of that.  The bartender gave me a taste to see if I liked it.  It was so strong without the Creme de Menthe taste:  👎.  If I had drank the entire jigger, my Butler would have to be summoned to take me to my suite and put me to bed.  

Hi Rikacruiser,

Great Subject Matter....

For evenings like a cordial in the Royal Court Theater before the show starts. Like to sip a cordial like Sambuca, White Creme de Menthe or Frangelico...All straight up.. Sometimes they drop a coffee bean into the Sambuca and lite it.

My favorite wines are Blush Zinfandel and also a nice clean clear Pinot Grigio.

Some of the old fashion cocktails will still test Bar T's with are High Balls, Side Cars, Old Fashions, Gibson, Godfather or Godmother. Some don't know a Cape Cod. Also Whiskey Sour. Use to like to sip my Mom's Brandy Alexanders.

My beer history. Yes Lowenbrau in an old German Restaurant in NYC.... Luchow's on 14th Street.

Others Dinkelacker, Boddington's, Sam Adams, Good Draught fresh from the Pub on board. Some of the brews from the local Micro Breweries especially in the Mid Hudson Valley.

Cheers...

Edited by BklynBoy8

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

my Mom's Brandy Alexanders.

My Father enjoyed these when my family went out for dinner.  Just not what I want as a final evening drink before bed.

A beer regret because I had not yet developed the taste for it was on my first 2 HAL cruises on Rotterdam V.  Draft Heineken was sold for 10 cents per glass! 

On 7/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, rkacruiser said:

My Father enjoyed these when my family went out for dinner.  Just not what I want as a final evening drink before bed.

A beer regret because I had not yet developed the taste for it was on my first 2 HAL cruises on Rotterdam V.  Draft Heineken was sold for 10 cents per glass! 

Funny how we remember the Brandy Alexanders.  I got used to a very curious combination when sailing through rough North Atlantic weather...when the ship was rocking and rolling.  I asked a bartender onboard the SS France...what to drink to stave off seas sickness.  He made me a Brandy Alexander with a draft beer chaser.  I thought he was crazy but he insisted I try it.  It worked!!  I still enjoy that combination when at sea...occasionally of course.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Funny how we remember the Brandy Alexanders.  I got used to a very curious combination when sailing through rough North Atlantic weather...when the ship was rocking and rolling.  I asked a bartender onboard the SS France...what to drink to stave off seas sickness.  He made me a Brandy Alexander with a draft beer chaser.  I thought he was crazy but he insisted I try it.  It worked!!  I still enjoy that combination when at sea...occasionally of course.

🤨  I would never have thought to ask a bartender what to drink to stave off sea sickness.  Not prone to sea sickness, but I will put that combination in my memory bank in case I need it in the future.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

🤨  I would never have thought to ask a bartender what to drink to stave off sea sickness.  Not prone to sea sickness, but I will put that combination in my memory bank in case I need it in the future.  

Hi RK,

Back in those days the bartenders had time to chat with the patrons.  Most of the bartenders of the French Line and Cunard had been there for decades.  Some were second and third generation.  They were full of information and sea stories and readily willing to recount their stories and advice.  If you took the time to make conversation you were usually rewarded with good advice, and more often than not, a refill on the house...lol.  On an Atlantic crossing I would seat myself at one of the bars every morning at 11:30 AM and order a draft beer...biere a pressure on the French Line.  After the second beer I would be in conversation with the bartender.  They all had interesting stories...some of them were very funny.  There would be bowls of whole green olives and cheese crackers.  Maybe a third beer and then it was time to meet my wife and go to lunch...great memories.  The beer and Brandy Alexander worked for me!  In those days you were well cared for.  

55 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

Back in those days the bartenders had time to chat with the patrons.  Most of the bartenders of the French Line and Cunard had been there for decades.  Some were second and third generation.  They were full of information and sea stories and readily willing to recount their stories and advice.  If you took the time to make conversation you were usually rewarded with good advice, and more often than not, a refill on the house...lol.  On an Atlantic crossing I would seat myself at one of the bars every morning at 11:30 AM and order a draft beer...biere a pressure on the French Line.  After the second beer I would be in conversation with the bartender.  They all had interesting stories...some of them were very funny.  There would be bowls of whole green olives and cheese crackers.  Maybe a third beer and then it was time to meet my wife and go to lunch...great memories.  The beer and Brandy Alexander worked for me!  In those days you were well cared for.  

I appreciate reading your remembrance of your experiences.  I really do so!  "Those were the Days" as a theme song said that was the prelude to a popular TV show sometime ago.