What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

On 3/5/2021 at 10:49 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember how we liked the YC on the QE2 in the rear of the ship especially at night when the band and disco was alive.

The room was so inviting and alive with those latenighters. Enjoy the lighting they used.

Those were the days. 

I remember that room on the QE2 before it was the Yacht Club and it was still the go-to bar.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Any recollection what the lounge was named?  

It was something like The Double Down Room??  This goes back to 1975 and my memory is vague. There was a big winding stainless steel staircase and the bar was on the lower level behind the stairs.  There was a steward who was in charge of the room...Pedro...Carlos??  He had worked for Home Lines and really knew how to run that room.  We had a lot of fun there.  Endless conversations with interesting and fun people.  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It was something like The Double Down Room??  This goes back to 1975 and my memory is vague. There was a big winding stainless steel staircase and the bar was on the lower level behind the stairs.  There was a steward who was in charge of the room...Pedro...Carlos??  He had worked for Home Lines and really knew how to run that room.  We had a lot of fun there.  Endless conversations with interesting and fun people.  

Don't Remember the Name before Yacht Club but is was not in the area of the Double Down Room.

The Double Down Room was later called Grand Lounge. The top level over looked the Grand Lounge and was surrounded by the Royal Promenade Shop.

The Yacht Club was located behind the Lower level Grand Lounge.

The very first sailing we saw and used the winding staircase to get to the shops. Later when refit they removed that stair case  and place staircase on each side of the new Grand Lounge Stage. The Orchestra was place btw the staircases.

We remember that room well. When someone was very popular in the Grand Lounge, they placed additional chairs around the railing on the upper floor to look over down. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't Remember the Name before Yacht Club but is was not in the area of the Double Down Room.

The Double Down Room was later called Grand Lounge. The top level over looked the Grand Lounge and was surrounded by the Royal Promenade Shop.

The Yacht Club was located behind the Lower level Grand Lounge.

The very first sailing we saw and used the winding staircase to get to the shops. Later when refit they removed that stair case  and place staircase on each side of the new Grand Lounge Stage. The Orchestra was place btw the staircases.

We remember that room well. When someone was very popular in the Grand Lounge, they placed additional chairs around the railing on the upper floor to look over down. 

Thank you for the clarification BB.  The last time I was on the QE2 was 1978!  Time flies when you’re having fun!

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It was something like The Double Down Room??

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yacht Club

The Yacht Club was in the very aft part of the deck it was located.  I am 99.999% certain of that.  The Double Down Room was closer to the middle of the ship.  Tea was served in that venue.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Yacht Club was in the very aft part of the deck it was located.  I am 99.999% certain of that.  The Double Down Room was closer to the middle of the ship.  Tea was served in that venue.  

rkacruise,

The only places that I remember Tea being served was in the Queens Room, Out on Promenade Deck, Sun (Helicopter) Deck and in the enclosed Magadome (retractable glass roof)  Pool Area.

I don't honestly believe Tea was served in the Grand Lounge. I remember Elaine MacKay, Social Hostess use to have interviews of different people at around 3PM to 4 when Bingo would start. I don't think I remember tea cups on the tables there while passengers were placing their Bingo cards on the tables too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I don't honestly believe Tea was served in the Grand Lounge.

Tea service on QE2:  wherever it was, it was a disappointing experience.  Cracked china, no tea spoons (my traveling companion stirred his tea with his pocket knife), labor problems aboard during the Summer of 1980.  This was just one example of such.  We were in Tourist Class; friends in First Class were not pleased as well.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Tea service on QE2:  wherever it was, it was a disappointing experience.  Cracked china, no tea spoons (my traveling companion stirred his tea with his pocket knife), labor problems aboard during the Summer of 1980.  This was just one example of such.  We were in Tourist Class; friends in First Class were not pleased as well.  

Reminds me of 1975 and 1978...the same experience as you had.  Things were so bad in 1978 that we never went back.  Now...back to favorite cocktails.  How about a Moscow Mule??  

45 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Reminds me of 1975 and 1978...the same experience as you had.  Things were so bad in 1978 that we never went back.  Now...back to favorite cocktails.  How about a Moscow Mule??  

We an experience once when the tea water tasted like chlorine from the swimming pool. Very disappointed with that sailing.

Moscow Mule, know it well. My parents use to have the copper cups that they are served in. They got the idea from the Russian Tea Room in NYC. We tried to give them to a local restaurant when clearing out my parents house but the BT didn't know how to make one and no one requested the drink there.

Dad use to buy the ginger beer for it at a specialty grocery. 

Moscow Mule Cocktail

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, time to spread your wings and fly!  

😄

I have been known to indulge in other beverages:  rum based drinks, a well made Grasshopper or Brandy Alexander--enjoyable, many after dinner type liqueurs such as Cherry Heering, Tia Maria, Green Creme de Menthe, Disaronno Amaretto, Grand Marnier, a HAL's Captain's Coffee--very good; decaf please, as an after dinner drink, however.  Of these liqueurs, Amaretto really is my favorite.  

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have been known to indulge in other beverages:  rum based drinks, a well made Grasshopper or Brandy Alexander--enjoyable, many after dinner type liqueurs such as Cherry Heering, Tia Maria, Green Creme de Menthe, Disaronno Amaretto, Grand Marnier, a HAL's Captain's Coffee--very good; decaf please, as an after dinner drink, however.  Of these liqueurs, Amaretto really is my favorite.  

WOW, a blast from the past.

Cherry Heering a name from the past. Like my wife's favorite wine.... Dubonnet Red.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Cherry Heering a name from the past.

And, remember Galliano?  Once was "the thing" to drink.  

My next visit to my wine/liquor store, I need to do some "shopping" to see if either of these beverages are even in stock.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My next visit to my wine/liquor store, I need to do some "shopping" to see if either of these beverages are even in stock.  

You will need to go to a large Liquor Store for rare possible items. A small store will doubtful have it.

In NYC we have a large store and the number of times are limitless and great to have. A good manager should also be able to order it for you too!

I know when we went to a Jersey Shore seafood restaurant, I wanted to test the BT for an order drink. Order an Old Fashion and another time a Whiskey Sour and done well.

One of my favorite's is The Godfather beside The Manhattan. Not into these now days CT's. Not should on the next sailing would I try the Mixology Classes. Not sure the drinks they introduce you too.

One elegant drink my father had was a liquor called Goldwasser with Real Gold Flakes in it.

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One elegant drink my father had was a liquor called Goldwasser with Real Gold Flakes in it.

Not sure if that is still the name of the liquor, but it is still available.  I was visiting a friend whose home is at a Fort Pierce golf community.  Their Club is quite a "club" in the evening and as a 19th hole, at times.  A gentleman often drank such a beverage at times.  No idea what a shot must have cost and I don't think he cared either--maybe, only when his Club bar bill arrived--because he was already well "pickled" when he would order it late at night.  

On 3/14/2021 at 8:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

And, remember Galliano?  Once was "the thing" to drink.  

Galliano!!  I could never get by the taste.  The only cocktail I ever tolerated with Galliano was something called a Yellow Bird or a Golden Cadillac.  I think I would shudder to drink one of those today...LOL.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Galliano!!  I could never get by the taste.

Never was a favorite of mine, either.  A memory I have of their bottle was waiting for a taxi after disembarking Home Lines' Oceanic.  A lady had a bag with several bottles of booze in them, one of which was that tall bottle of Galliano.  Somehow, it had gotten broken and the yellow liquid was spilling out onto the sidewalk. 

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not sure if that is still the name of the liquor, but it is still available.  I was visiting a friend whose home is at a Fort Pierce golf community.  Their Club is quite a "club" in the evening and as a 19th hole, at times.  A gentleman often drank such a beverage at times.  No idea what a shot must have cost and I don't think he cared either--maybe, only when his Club bar bill arrived--because he was already well "pickled" when he would order it late at night.  

rkacruiser,

That is the name. I have a half a bottle at home and took the name off the label. I only know it is sipping liquor and not used in a mix to develop a drink.

I actually took a sip while i copied the name. Smooth and you don't even feel and taste the flake of gold.

I never asked for it on the outside so not sure cost of a shot.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Galliano!!  I could never get by the taste.  The only cocktail I ever tolerated with Galliano was something called a Yellow Bird or a Golden Cadillac.  I think I would shudder to drink one of those today...LOL.  

It use to remind me of Cough Medication with a touch of anise as a after taste. Yes the Golden Cadillac is the drink. 

Great Topic! ... When we are on Azamara where I usually like the dinner deserts offered, I willl usually stop by the bar after dinner for a "nightcap" ... usually Irish Whisky or American Bourbon ...

when on Celebrity where I usually don't like the dinner desert selection I order a Mudslide as a desert replacement ... it is a glass rimmed with chocolate and filled with a creamy drink of Baileys, Kahlua and cream.

While it is so good it is more than just an excuse to have booze for dessert ... it's the only excuse I need ... 🙂 ...

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:31 AM, rkacruiser said:

Sauvignon Blanc which is a wine that I have had more than one HAL bartender tell me that he agrees that it is a superior Sauvignon Blanc.  

Souvignon Blanc  is a favorite also ... sometimes I'll ask a bartender if they have any wine from Marlborough County, New Zealand to see if they know the Sauvignon Blanc from that area is the best!

• Like 1