What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

On 3/25/2021 at 1:53 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

i miss the old fashion chinese restaurants with the green leather booths.

Sorry to say our area has lost the traditional chinese restaurant like those in the 50's 60's and 70's. Those had about  20 different drinks that were fruity and decorated with those small umbrellas.

We do in Brooklyn have three area of China Towns now. But their style is like China Town in Lower Manhattan and also China Style. They of course don't go into these drinks. Hot Tea in Clear Glasses is served. Not even those very small tea cups. Those were for American's.

Off subject..... I like Jasmine Tea as my Hot Tea Choice...

We have the same problem here in Boston.  The old Chinese families have moved on.  Their children became doctors, lawyers and financial experts.  Their restaurants are now owned by Vietnamese and Thais.  All the dozens of great Chinese restaurants, that I knew in my youth, have vanished.  It is hard to find a good Chinese restaurant...so sad.

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

restaurants are now owned by Vietnamese and Thais.

I am not well acquainted with Thai cuisine, but I have enjoyed good Vietnamese cuisine as well as very good Chinese cuisine, but not where I live.  Where?  Toronto.  

The variety of nationalities that live in Toronto provide such a wide variety of cuisines and much of what I have enjoyed seems quite authentic.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not well acquainted with Thai cuisine, but I have enjoyed good Vietnamese cuisine as well as very good Chinese cuisine, but not where I live.  Where?  Toronto.  

The variety of nationalities that live in Toronto provide such a wide variety of cuisines and much of what I have enjoyed seems quite authentic.  

And Montreal too!  

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have the same problem here in Boston.  The old Chinese families have moved on.  Their children became doctors, lawyers and financial experts.  Their restaurants are now owned by Vietnamese and Thais.  All the dozens of great Chinese restaurants, that I knew in my youth, have vanished.  It is hard to find a good Chinese restaurant...so sad.

They are hard to find in NYC but are still there especially in China Town on Mott Street.

The secret many use is to check out the restaurants where there are lines outside. Of course they are the favorite. It's been quite a while we have been there but we have always had a great time.

We do have a China Town in Brooklyn's Sunset Park area on 8th Avenue. From 65th Street to about 50th Street. It can be wild with the original look almost of the Manhattan one.

The restaurants give you two types of menus when in the authentic restaurants. Difference is some dishes will remind you of American Dishes and the other ingredients you would prefer not to taste... 

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Where?  Toronto.

Oh yes ... Toronto ... this is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit ... such a beatiful society with so many different nationalities getting along! I cook pretty good Thai and would say good Thai food is probably to be had in Toronto with the wonderful diversity there!

• Like 1

Well finally booked our next sailing for 2022 and looking forward to it.

Will take all the suggestions in this posting and enjoy trying them besides my usual.

Have recently been introduced to Prosecco. Like it  besides Champ's. Definitely better then Pol A given on board.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Have recently been introduced to Prosecco.

January, 2020, when I was aboard MSC Meraviglia, I drank more Prosecco than I did my usual CC-7 or a quality Sauvignon Blanc.  I'd finish a bottle in my suite and my YC Butler would replace it with another bottle.  I did not drink it with dinner, however.  Sauvignon Blanc was usually the wine that I ordered.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

January, 2020, when I was aboard MSC Meraviglia, I drank more Prosecco than I did my usual CC-7 or a quality Sauvignon Blanc.  I'd finish a bottle in my suite and my YC Butler would replace it with another bottle.  I did not drink it with dinner, however.  Sauvignon Blanc was usually the wine that I ordered.  

On our last MSC cruise we had 5 bottles of Prosecco in our cabin.  We were literally floating in the stuff.  I enjoy Prosecco more when I mix it like a French 75.  Goes great with sour mix and brandy or fruit brandy.  

• Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, rkacruiser said:

Remember seeing this, but never tasted it.

Sampled this during a tour at their factory, bought it, and I think it is still somewhere in my pantry.  

This thread has brought to my mind of a bottle of a Dutch Chocolate Mint liquor that I bought many years ago and is still in storage somewhere.  There may be a box of such stuff from A. H. Riise in St. Thomas from a cruise long ago.

I suppose alcoholic beverages that have that kind of age on them ought to still be good to drink.  Yes?  No?  

Cream-type liqueurs like Bailey's and possibly the Dutch Chocolate Mint have a definite shelf life.

Unopened there's a chance that curacao might still be good, but once opened it needs to be used up. I find the Bols curacaos that I get get in the US (orange and blue) are just as good as what I've tasted on the island. There's a great cocktail I like made with blue curacao--the Blue Star (3 parts gin, 2 parts dry vermouth,1 part blue curacao, and 3 parts orange juice, shaken and strained into a glass of crushed ice), which has an odd color but tastes great. 

And a gin & tonic with a healthy splash of blue curacao is a treat as well.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:37 PM, rkacruiser said:

I drank more Prosecco than I did my usual CC-7 or a quality Sauvignon Blanc

We also love the "bubbly liquids" ... and Prosecco is a favorite ... 🙂 ... often found on cruises is La Marca Prosecco DOC Extra Dry at a reasonable bang for the buck price. Made from the Glera grape it has nice citrus nose in the extra day version.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Cream-type liqueurs like Bailey's and possibly the Dutch Chocolate Mint have a definite shelf life.

Unopened there's a chance that curacao might still be good, but once opened it needs to be used up. I find the Bols curacaos that I get get in the US (orange and blue) are just as good as what I've tasted on the island. There's a great cocktail I like made with blue curacao--the Blue Star (3 parts gin, 2 parts dry vermouth,1 part blue curacao, and 3 parts orange juice, shaken and strained into a glass of crushed ice), which has an odd color but tastes great. 

And a gin & tonic with a healthy splash of blue curacao is a treat as well.

I like Blue Hawaiian's with homemade Pineapple Juice.

Soon G&T season is around the corner in the "Good Olde Summertime".

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sooooooo...BB...what’s your recipe for the Blue Hawaiian???  

Blue Hawaiian

3/4 oz Vodka

3/4 oz Bacardi Light P.R. Rum

1/2 oz Senior & Co. (original) Blue Curacao Liq. (alt - Hiram Walker)

3 oz Pineapple Juice (use commercial juice - homemade would cloudy the drink)

1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Simple Syrup (Homemade)

Fill a Shaker with Ice.

Add all the ingredients into the Shaker and Shake till Well Chill to the touch

Strain into a 10oz tall glass w chipped ice on the bottle to keep chilled.

Place a small wedge of Pineapple on rim of Glass.

Best ever tasted.

BTW... after the last time on the QM2 I like Fever Tree Tonic Water in G&T...Was told to avoid the Soda Gun generic Tonic Water used by the BT.

Edited by BklynBoy8

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Blue Hawaiian

3/4 oz Vodka

3/4 oz Bacardi Light P.R. Rum

1/2 oz Senior & Co. (original) Blue Curacao Liq. (alt - Hiram Walker)

3 oz Pineapple Juice (use commercial juice - homemade would cloudy the drink)

1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Simple Syrup (Homemade)

Fill a Shaker with Ice.

Add all the ingredients into the Shaker and Shake till Well Chill to the touch

Strain into a 10oz tall glass w chipped ice on the bottle to keep chilled.

Place a small wedge of Pineapple on rim of Glass.

Best ever tasted.

BTW... after the last time on the QM2 I like Fever Tree Tonic Water in G&T...Was told to avoid the Soda Gun generic Tonic Water used by the BT.

Sounds great BB thanks!!

On 3/31/2021 at 9:14 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

Considering the age of that bottle, whenever I "discover" it again, I think I ought to toss it.  Thanks for your advice.

I bought a small jar of a homemade honey in during a tour in Sochi in 2008.  A friend recommended to me when we were discussing our cruise this week that I might be wise to put it into the dumpster.  

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Considering the age of that bottle, whenever I "discover" it again, I think I ought to toss it.  Thanks for your advice.

I bought a small jar of a homemade honey in during a tour in Sochi in 2008.  A friend recommended to me when we were discussing our cruise this week that I might be wise to put it into the dumpster.  

Baileys claims it is the only cream liqueur that guarantees taste for two years from the day it was made, opened or unopened, in the fridge or pantry, as long as it's stored away from direct sunlight in temperatures ranging from 32 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

another remarks

Generally, it's recommended that you should finish an open bottle of Irish cream within about 6 months. Obviously, storing the bottle for a month or two more won't make that much of a difference.

Which one to believe?.......

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Honey has been found in the tombs of Egypt that is still good. Eternal shelf life?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have always been partial tropical rum drinks like Pina Coladas, Dacquiris, Mai Tais, and Hurricanes.

I also like very sweet Sangria but since I have diagnosed with diabetes I drink a lot more Bloody Marys.

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I also like very sweet Sangria

We've been in an extended lockdown so our 'go to' home HH drink is usually some form of sangria ... I like it so much because we've had it in many world locations and usually have enjoyed all variations ... so nice since you can just use what fruit you have in the house! ... 🙂 ...

On 5/1/2021 at 3:49 AM, GlobalMethod said:

We've been in an extended lockdown so our 'go to' home HH drink is usually some form of sangria ... I like it so much because we've had it in many world locations and usually have enjoyed all variations ... so nice since you can just use what fruit you have in the house! ... 🙂 ...

So true! I have made many a not-so-traditional sangria using up odds and ends of bottles languishing in the liquor cabinet. One of the best ones was made with a lovely Framboise liqueur that paired well with the red wine I used. For another, I used up the last of a bottle of Polish cherry liqueur.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

So true! I have made many a not-so-traditional sangria using up odds and ends of bottles languishing in the liquor cabinet. One of the best ones was made with a lovely Framboise liqueur that paired well with the red wine I used. For another, I used up the last of a bottle of Polish cherry liqueur.

Now I'm getting thirsty! ... 🙂 ... my favorite version uses Cherry Brandy (problem is I can't get the cherry brandy in Greece so I usually use some disaronno amaretto ... it works) as the liqueur with white wine ... but ... I've made many, many red sangrias many different ways, usually with the fruit of the season.

My neighbors introduced me to Pomegranate Martinis.

Pomegranate juice, Cointreau, Pomegranate vodka.  I generally only drink them at home or their house because I feel pretty loopy after two.

I still drink the Sangria recipe that our tour director in Spain made for our group in many of the restaurants we ate at.  I use whatever fruit I have laying around but if I plan ahead I like to add persimmons for a little twist.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 4:43 AM, GlobalMethod said:

Now I'm getting thirsty! ... 🙂 ... my favorite version uses Cherry Brandy (problem is I can't get the cherry brandy in Greece so I usually use some disaronno amaretto ... it works) as the liqueur with white wine ... but ... I've made many, many red sangrias many different ways, usually with the fruit of the season.

Necessity is the mother of invention, or, more to the point, any port (or sherry, for that matter) in a storm! Though I don't think a sangria of Retsina and Ouzo would be very good.