Viking refund for cancelled cruise w/ insurance

IDL

We canceled our summer Viking ocean cruise that was scheduled to sail July 8th due to my wife having unexpected back surgery in Nov, 2019.  We had cruise insurance and ended up getting 75% of the cruise price from Viking and 25% from our insurance claim.  My question is since Viking has subsequently canceled the cruise altogether I am also entitled to recoup the cost on the cruise insurance which I think was around $1.2K from Viking?  Has anyone canceled their cruise prior to Viking cancelling the sailing and if so did Viking make you whole?

If you cancel a cruise, you receive refunds/credits in accordance with Viking's T&C.

Unfortunately, if the cruise is subsequently cancelled by Viking, you do not receive any additional compensation, as at the time of Viking cancelling the cruise you didn't have a valid booking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IDL said:

We canceled our summer Viking ocean cruise that was scheduled to sail July 8th due to my wife having unexpected back surgery in Nov, 2019.  We had cruise insurance and ended up getting 75% of the cruise price from Viking and 25% from our insurance claim.  My question is since Viking has subsequently canceled the cruise altogether I am also entitled to recoup the cost on the cruise insurance which I think was around $1.2K from Viking?  Has anyone canceled their cruise prior to Viking cancelling the sailing and if so did Viking make you whole?

Not only did you not have a booking with Viking at the time of cancellation but you already claimed against the insurance.

The lesson learned for me from this thread is: 

Even if I have a known medical situation that will definitely prevent me from taking the cruise, I should not cancel till close to the the required must-cancel-by date deadline.

ex: several days before that date

Because there are many possible reasons why Viking would need to cancel the cruise.

Right?  

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

The lesson learned for me from this thread is: 

Even if I have a known medical situation that will definitely prevent me from taking the cruise, I should not cancel till close to the the required must-cancel-by date deadline.

ex: several days before that date

Because there are many possible reasons why Viking would need to cancel the cruise.

Right?  

Maybe.  IF you covered under the risk free policy and IF you are sure that you will be able to sail in the future because the Risk-Free policy at two days prior to sailing gives you 100% vouchers not cash back.

Edited by Peregrina651