Antarctica on Westerdam....in 2022? How?

cruisemom42

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I read it -- it's quoted above. Quest is a different case, I think. Our chief engineer still seems to have his doubts about other ships.

So you saw both posts #20 and #22. I just thought they gave plausabilty as to how some of the "drive by" cruises being offered by HAL, Princess, Celebrity and Azamara might sail after 1 Jan 2022.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So you saw both posts #20 and #22. I just thought they gave plausabilty as to how some of the "drive by" cruises being offered by HAL, Princess, Celebrity and Azamara might sail after 1 Jan 2022.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound brusque -- I agree there is currently some really unclear areas about this whole Polar Code. I think it's just getting to me that they could so easily clarify things one way or the other and yet -- radio silence continues.

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound brusque -- I agree there is currently some really unclear areas about this whole Polar Code. I think it's just getting to me that they could so easily clarify things one way or the other and yet -- radio silence continues.

I understand. For me, I have faith with the amount of $$$ involved in drive-by Antarctica cruises, they'll figure out the necessary loopholes to jump through to keep them going. But then I'm an optimist and right now my guess is they're more concerned about when this pandemic is going to end and they can start cruising again.

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

To further confuse the issue, if a ship is granted a Class C Polar Certificate (no operation in ice), then on a daily basis it can change as to where the ship can and cannot operate, as the seasonal ice conditions change.

That would make sense. So, are you now suggesting there may be a legitimate way for cruise lines with a Class C Polar Certificate to sail in the Antarctica waters as long as there are no signs of ice on the day they plan to sail a specific route?

42 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That would make sense. So, are you now suggesting there may be a legitimate way for cruise lines with a Class C Polar Certificate to sail in the Antarctica waters as long as there are no signs of ice on the day they plan to sail a specific route?

Again, it will depend on the class society, and flag state, rules for ice strengthening, and how they interpret the equivalency factors, and also what other modifications the ships have made to systems other than hull strengthening, to operate in cold environments, and other operational requirements.  The ships will have to have a Polar Ship Certificate from their class society.  And, it likely depends on the historical presence of ice in areas where the ship wishes to operate.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense, subject to change based on ice conditions, a good out contractually protected for the cruise lines but for passengers a high premium to pay vs a regular South America itinerary for those sailings that miss Antarctica.

Celebrity and NCL are still advertising Elephant Island, Deception Island (gotta love that name in the context of this discussion) etc. into 2023.

Thanks again Chengkp and everyone looking into this.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing happened on the way to researching Antarctica expedition cruises and thought I'd pass this along. A couple of weeks ago, Seabourn had to cancel their 2021/22 Antarctica expedition cruises on their new ship, Venture, as its completion date has now been delayed until at least Dec 1, 2021. In it's place Seabourn is now offering 21-24 day expedition cruises on the Quest, which had been doing them up until this year.

So if you are looking to do an Antarctica expedition cruise, at a "somewhat" cheaper fare than those advertised by some of the other luxury cruise lines like Crystal and Silversea, you might want to explore some of Seabourn's 2021/22 itineraries they just posted. 

• Thanks 1

Once again the plot thickens.

Now Volendam's Grand South America and Antarctica cruise sailing January 2021 has been pushed back a year to January 2022.

Surely there is a loophole allowing this we are not clear on, most likely as Chengkp has stated related to approval within a certain limit of ice conditions.

Others may disagree but I can't believe all these itineraries are being planned in blissful ignorance or with malicious intent to deceive the passenger.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Once again the plot thickens.

Now Volendam's Grand South America and Antarctica cruise sailing January 2021 has been pushed back a year to January 2022.

Surely there is a loophole allowing this we are not clear on, most likely as Chengkp has stated related to approval within a certain limit of ice conditions.

Others may disagree but I can't believe all these itineraries are being planned in blissful ignorance or with malicious intent to deceive the passenger.

This is what LR says about Volendam's polar certificate. So does mean Volendam can sail below 60 degrees?

image.thumb.png.4f65a4684565abc82083a9d07b22fbf2.png

I called my FCC, as she was out of the office until 9/1, to find out she is out until 12/1  now.  Got another person.  I was questioning the decision to go/no go for late Jan 21, no answer yet.  My final payment is due November 1.  They may delay that.  I asked if HAL cancelled would I get my same rate for 2022,  I think the answer was yes or possible.   If I cancel and rebook it is the higher rate which equates to 2,000.  

I have to call back on the 27th.