Prices High

19 minutes ago, blcruising said:

NCL pricing model is vastly different than competing cruise lines and airlines. There is nothing sophisticated about. They have some theory that their product is worth more than the comoetition. Price at $x above historical market trends knowing the ship will not sell out. Hook who you can at those rates. Then, dump whatever inventory remains at rates far below the competition. That's the strategy.

Your theories are spot on, but don't play out with NCL. Extreme inflation and price swings on NCL. Other cruise lines price to sell out and often do within a $100 or $200 adjustment. NCL has $500-$1,000 downward fluctuations in the final two weeks.

NCLH made roughly $1B profit on about $6B gross revenue last year.  Maybe they have found that large fluctuations in price produce the greatest amount of profit for them.  It may be inconvenient for consumers, it may seem like predatory pricing, it may appear to be pulling the wool over the eyes of the unsuspecting or unsophisticated, but if it generates a 16% operating margin they must have a pretty good handle on the laws of supply and demand.  Most companies would be elated if they could generate even half that much ROS.

We booked 3 cruises with NCL for the later part of 2021. We used our FCC for deposits ( double the value).  We never take advantage of the "Freebies" as they are of no value to us. We received amazing prices for all 3 cruises. We booked them about 5-6 weeks ago. We want to see if NCL returns and makes it through before we pay out any money.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

NCLH made roughly $1B profit on about $6B gross revenue last year.  Maybe they have found that large fluctuations in price produce the greatest amount of profit for them.  It may be inconvenient for consumers, it may seem like predatory pricing, it may appear to be pulling the wool over the eyes of the unsuspecting or unsophisticated, but if it generates a 16% operating margin they must have a pretty good handle on the laws of supply and demand.  Most companies would be elated if they could generate even half that much ROS.

Interesting short-term recipe for success. You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Another thread about high price complaints.  You people make me laugh.  I have never had a problem with the price I paid for a cruise.  Some better than others.  But nobody forced me to take a high priced cruise during peak season just because I had to.  Just pick another cruise line or find another itinerary or another time.  Nobody is cruising now anyway.✌️

So glad we can tickle your funny bone.  We just struggle along with our lack of understanding.   

• Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 5:56 AM, blcruising said:

I love their pricing model and am fortunate to be able to cruise last minute. It is the primary reason we sail NCL.

We are the exact opposite of you and  for that reason do not travel NCL very often.  Working in education and having children we do not want to pull out of school, we can only travel Christmas, March Break, and summers.  All cruise lines jack up their prices at those times and reduce the number of perks they offer to entice you.  I have found very good deals with RCCL when you book far in advance.  Not so with NCL.  The lack of flexibility in our schedule and NCL's pricing strategy as you mentioned (jack up prices and drop them close to sailing date) does not work for us.  Glad it works for those like yourself though.

46 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

We are the exact opposite of you and  for that reason do not travel NCL very often.  Working in education and having children we do not want to pull out of school, we can only travel Christmas, March Break, and summers.  All cruise lines jack up their prices at those times and reduce the number of perks they offer to entice you.  I have found very good deals with RCCL when you book far in advance.  Not so with NCL.  The lack of flexibility in our schedule and NCL's pricing strategy as you mentioned (jack up prices and drop them close to sailing date) does not work for us.  Glad it works for those like yourself though.

I too had to limit my cruise choices because of work and family.   I too had to plan and book six months to a year out.  And I too didn't cruise on NCL. I found better deals with other cruise lines. But even when I only cruised one or two weeks a year I didn't complain about the prices  I am not saying you are complaining, but telling it like it is. 👍  When your window is small the deals are few. You might as well complain about prices on all cruise line threads.  I was just happy to be able to cruise again and hoped for good weather.  Now that was 20 years.   And then I found CC.   I learned how to research.  Today that the kids are gone and I work my own schedule.   Now NCL is a major player on last minute cruises with waving the solo supplement and doubling up on cruise next certificates on inside cabins.  Can we say FREE CRUISE.  And if the cruise sells out, oh well there is always the next week.✌️

Edited by jskinsd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Now NCL is a major player on last minute cruises with waving the solo supplement and doubling up on cruise next certificates

Hi jskinsd. Just curious, how do the cruise next certificates work? I will also be a solo cruiser (when cruising resumes, hopefully sooner rather than later), so I think I know how the doubling up of these certificates work; NCL gives you as a solo, 2 certificates as if there were 2 ppl in the stateroom? Thanks in advance for your reply and any info you provide.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Hi jskinsd. Just curious, how do the cruise next certificates work? I will also be a solo cruiser (when cruising resumes, hopefully sooner rather than later), so I think I know how the doubling up of these certificates work; NCL gives you as a solo, 2 certificates as if there were 2 ppl in the stateroom? Thanks in advance for your reply and any info you provide.

CN certificates have nothing to do with the number of people in a cabin.  And they don't give them to you, you buy them at a discounted rate while you are on a cruise.  For example, you pay $125 for a certificate (if you buy 2 or more) that is good for $250 towards a deposit on a future cruise.  Quite often NCL will "double-up" and you can use 2 certificates for your deposit.  They also have different certificates for Haven and shorter cruises, with different terms.

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

The cruise next certificates can only be purchased on a ship.  You will see both pros and cons on the program on forms, but the smart NCL cruiser usually purchases them.  One certificate $250 can be used for your next cruise as cash with any travel agency.  NCL offers specials at times when you can use two $250 certificates($500) towards the purchase on a single cabin.  Sometimes on last minute cruises the solo supplement is waved on a $349 fare.  Plus $150 taxes and port fees make that cruise free.

But this was before the virus.✌️

18 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

The cruise next certificates can only be purchased on a ship.  You will see both pros and cons on the program on forms, but the smart NCL cruiser usually purchases them.  One certificate $250 can be used for your next cruise as cash with any travel agency.  NCL offers specials at times when you can use two $250 certificates($500) towards the purchase on a single cabin.  Sometimes on last minute cruises the solo supplement is waved on a $349 fare.  Plus $150 taxes and port fees make that cruise free.

Cruise Next redemption's are per cabin.   The double up for any 6 day or longer has been in place since 5-19.  Recently was double for any sailing length,  (unknown if that was extended)

But the above example-  is not free.   In general-  you have to purchase the Cruise Nexts.    There would be a COST of $250.   

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

CN certificates have nothing to do with the number of people in a cabin.  And they don't give them to you, you buy them at a discounted rate while you are on a cruise.  For example, you pay $125 for a certificate (if you buy 2 or more) that is good for $250 towards a deposit on a future cruise.  Quite often NCL will "double-up" and you can use 2 certificates for your deposit.  They also have different certificates for Haven and shorter cruises, with different terms.

7 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Thanks for the information julig22 and pickle11, appreciate it!

I have never been able to take advantage of their last minute deals since my work precludes me from up and leaving on vacation at the last second. 

I am shocked at how high the prices are, and I wonder what ppl's reaction will be when many get sick on cruise ships. 

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

I have never been able to take advantage of their last minute deals since my work precludes me from up and leaving on vacation at the last second. 

I am shocked at how high the prices are, and I wonder what ppl's reaction will be when many get sick on cruise ships. 

The start ups,  in my opinion-   Will only be short cruises. 7 days or less-  I’ll speculate.   This needs to run for at least a month+++.    

I don’t see any cruises operating with multiple sailing days of limited or no ports for at least a year?   Land Services have to be available.  

On 7/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Love my butler said:

Anyone with any common sense knows that NCL has inflated their prices right now to soak up all the FCC's in circulation.  If they can get some ignorant people to book at these ridiculous prices, even better.  The majority of people booking cruises now, that may or may not actually sail, are using their Monopoly money, aka, Future Cruise Credits.

So you think prices wouldn't be any higher if they weren't doing FCCs? I don't see any logical conclusion that would send prices anywhere but up at the moment. There are ton of people itching at the bit to cruise immediately, and ships will likely not be sailing at full capacity. That is where supply and demand takes over, regardless of any of NCLs practices people don't like.

Is the FCC the perfect option? Not for everyone. However, everyone has the full ability to see what prices look like before they accept that offer. Those who are "smarter" because they didn't choose the FCC, are still paying more.

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There are ton of people itching at the bit to cruise immediately,

Source for this claim ?

My opinion is the general public has limited interest in taking a cruise right now and is, frankly, afraid to get on a ship.

Even if the public was itching to cruise right away, who in their right mind would take a chance of coming to Florida with it's current condition to get on a ship.Over 15,000 new cases today. Set a new national record, eclipsing the 12,000 in N.Y. on April 4th.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 2:56 AM, luv2kroooz said:

Prices are not always a result of supply and demand. NCL artificially inflates the prices of their cruises far in advance. They hook whoever they can at these high prices. After final payment, they dump cabins at low prices in an attempt to fill their ships. They've been doing it for years and the current inflated prices are the result of the same stratgy. As the beneficiary of multiple ( as in 10-20) last minute bookings at fire sale prices over many years, I love their pricing model and am fortunate to be able to cruise last minute. It is the primary reason we sail NCL.

Just curious- when you say "last minute", how many days before sail is that?   When I've seen good deals in the past, the sky high airfare ate up all the savings.  I guess the airlines do the opposite strategy...

4 hours ago, mpk said:

Just curious- when you say "last minute", how many days before sail is that?   When I've seen good deals in the past, the sky high airfare ate up all the savings.  I guess the airlines do the opposite strategy...

Sure, 2-10 days prior to sailing. Valid point. Many cruise deals have been passed up because the airfare was cost prohibitive. Everything has to align. We've had more success with last minute airfare with non traditional cruise departure dates....a 12 day cruise leaving on a Thursday or a 9 day cruise leaving on a Saturday, etc. Total flexibility is the key, which is why my strategy doesn't work for everyone.

• Like 1

We just booked a 7 day, Alaska Cruise in 2021, with a balcony room, two for one deposits, all four promos (could have got reduced air but had a better deal through Alaskan Airlines' Credit Card), pre-paid gratuities and an extra Latitudes point per night, all for $3600 and some change. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

9 hours ago, mpk said:

I’ve booked up to the day prior.   For me pretty much always less than 10 days prior to sailing.  Of the major lines NCL was the only one who used this marketing.     Of course very few people took advantage and huge flexibility is a must.    

I was so fortunate to have had the multiple opportunities.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Sure, 2-10 days prior to sailing. Valid point. Many cruise deals have been passed up because the airfare was cost prohibitive. Everything has to align. We've had more success with last minute airfare with non traditional cruise departure dates....a 12 day cruise leaving on a Thursday or a 9 day cruise leaving on a Saturday, etc. Total flexibility is the key, which is why my strategy doesn't work for everyone.

I found the last minute opportunities very unpredictable.   I had multiple twists and turns last year that were nice surprises.   

For  me,  “total” flexibility means much more than what most people can do. 🤩.   I was/am pretty close to that fortunately.   

12 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I found the last minute opportunities very unpredictable.   I had multiple twists and turns last year that were nice surprises.   

For  me,  “total” flexibility means much more than what most people can do. 🤩.   I was/am pretty close to that fortunately.   

Me too🙂  After all if you are all ready on the ship why not one more week if the price is right.✌️