First time Cunarder cruising solo looking for reassurance.

JP82

So in a gesture of defiance to the current goal shenanigans, and given for now it's just a fairly low deposits on the board, I've finally taken the plunge and booked my first Cunard cruise, just to get a taste for Bonfire Night 2021 two nights to Hamburg. 

I've booked one of the single Oceanview cabins as reviews seem generally positive for them, and my friends who I normally cruise with are not interested in the tuxedoes and the whatnot that comes with a Cunard cruise. So it looks like this will not only be my first Cunard cruise, but my first solo cruise also.

I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on solo cruises on Cunard, and if someone of my age (38) will get along okay?

There's a also another mini-cruise on QV in early January in both 2021 and 2022 that is the day after my Birthday, that I'm considering and would consider that on in Britannia Club. Would that also work okay as a solo in anyones opinion?

Yes, you most probably will have a good time. Cunard has many solo guests and the whole atmosphere encourages socializing and interacting.

(Caveat: At least it used to be like this. Who knows how cruising will be next year. Some proposed guidelines discussed in other threats would mean you have to spend all meals and all the time on your own.)

Choose a large table for dinner, be ready to share a table at other times. Take part in the captain's welcome party.

There are many activities you can choose from and participate or avoid according to you taste.

I was much younger than you are now when I first sailed with Cunard and enjoyed every single cruise since than.

32 minutes ago, JP82 said:

... in Britannia Club. Would that also work okay as a solo in anyones opinion?

In the Britannia Club you have the same table for all three meals and no fixed dinner time. There are a few extra choices on the menu.

If talking to people at meal time is important to you, the Britannia Club is a little bit more risky than the regular Britannia restaurant. You might not get a large table. Even on a large table you might be alone for breakfast and lunch. The fellow guests might take dinner at a totally different time than you.

Do have any other specific questions about the on board experience (as solo)?

• Like 1

Well as I’ve not done it yet, I’m not certain if I want to stick to myself at meals or just go with the flow have the situation almost put on me by the cruise line?

So BC would be the better option if I did want to be alone or with less people?

Cunard will try to seat you along with other solos around the same age.

On a longer trip, there are daily "Solo travellers" get togethers in the Commodore Club. Not sure about a 2 day cruise, but there will be many activities to enjoy.

Normally, the first and last nights are informal, Is there a Gala (black tie) night on a 2 day cruise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JP82 said:

In both restaurants you can ask for a table just for you (which will be a table set for two).

In Britannia Club you are almost guaranteed to get it, while in Britannia it can depend on the number of people asking for tables for two.

The Britannia Club overall is much smaller, thus there are much less people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JP82 said:

Well as I’ve not done it yet, I’m not certain if I want to stick to myself at meals or just go with the flow have the situation almost put on me by the cruise line?

I'm not sure what to make of the statement, ".... have the situation almost put on me by the cruise line?"  Are you concerned that you might sign on for some dining option but then find you don't like it?  Do you prefer to keep to yourself or do you want company?  Keep in mind that the sailing you told us about is only two nights, not a two month extended voyage.  Things would have to be pretty bad to be horribly wrong for just two nights.

I've sailed only on Cunard and only solo.  I prefer large tables and always request a table for 6 or 8.  The Maitre D' is usually pretty good about mixing in solos with couples.  In Britannia where breakfast and lunch are open seating I tell the Maitre D' that I'm willing to share and will thus be put at a table of at least four. 

If you prefer to dine alone, you will have an easier time getting a table in Britannia Club.  In the main Britannia restaurant tables for two are in high demand especially for the first sitting. 

Also please check these boards to see how the dining situation is doing once sailings resume.  There is another thread which discusses the EU's draft guidlines for the restart.  Some of us here have already said that we would choose not to spend our money rather than endure the conditions that the EU has proposed. 

You will be absolutely fine.  The two I've done alone on QM2, one in the single cabins (which are great) and one as single occupancy in a balcony.   Our table was made up of everyone cruising alone, and we all gone on really well, despite quite a wide range in ages.  No one will be offended if you want to do you own thing after dinner, or conversely you will likely find yourself invited to join your table companions for a drink or in the theatre etc.   One night I didn't fancy what was on the menu, so had a "night in" with room service and a movie.

Competition for a single cabin is fierce, but I didn't find that much difference in price between it and the balcony, but was prepared either way to pay a bit extra for a mid-ship location.    I'm a little bit older than you, but have never at any point felt anxious, unsafe, bored or lonely cruising solo.

• Like 2

I have sailed solo on Queen Mary 2 in the Grills accommodation. I requested a table for two, and you usually find you are close to several other diners. I converse with them and if there is a positive response the conversations continue over several meals. The primary reason I do this is not to inconvenience other diners at a large table who might want to show up at different times.

There are more than enough activities to keep me occupied for a nine or ten day crossing from Hamburg and I am doing it again next Summer. My 22 July 2020 crossing disappeared into the mists this year. 

By the way, I got to see the Oceanview Singles and I must say they are among the best cabins on the ship. 

• Like 1

I did the NY to Southampton crossing solo and in an interior cabin 2 years ago on the QM2.  I found myself at a table for 8 which included a classical pianist who would be performing during the cruise, the UK customs official for the cruise and her friend, the most interesting man on the ship from Glascow, who had retired to become a long-haul bus driver, a lady who was "her for the dancing," a rather flamboyant real estate agent from the Northeast USA, and  a rather rotund older gentleman from the USA who was taking his first cruise after the passing of his wife.   Each of us had interesting stories to tell and all were polite listeners.  By the third evening, we all felt like old friends. 

Being solo is what you make of it.  There is the solo travelers meeting mentioned above that I attended once and found I preferred to use the spa, participate in yoga, join the volunteer chorus and hanging out at the bar as the best place to meet people.  There are so many activities aboard ship during the day that you will find your "dance card" full, if you choose to do so. 

Solo cruising is really all about choice.  I joined an older couple at lunch on day who were delightful and exceedingly shy.  The said I was the first person in three days to engage them in a conversation.  After that point, I realized I was going to invest the next hour in getting to know their children, grandchildren and family pets in addition to learning all about how the local government in some small place in Essex was not up to snuff.  I lost my parents years ago, and with these two, I felt right at home. 

DG

• Like 7

I recall back in 2010 on a  New England / Canada cruise, my wife and I were sharing a Kings Court table with a elderly British lady who missed all the afternoon teas on her westbound crossing -  and all the other Queens Room activities. No one for the past nine days had mentioned that the Queen’s Room was not exclusive to Queen’s Grill passengers.

It looks like singles now have a better welcome and attention from the hotel staff than ten years ago.

• Like 1

I have sailed Cunard solo for years. Partner is not grazy about dressing up and Transatlantic- so I travel solo, when the call of the Northatlantic comes. LOL. I had a wonderful time - always. I opt for big table - so I had wonderful dinners in the Britannia. Traveling solo I don´t need a suite - beside for a solo traveler they cost and arm and a leg.

The single cabins on Deck 3 are my favorites. I sailed in 3002 and loved loved loved it! Best cabin ever- i did not even miss my balcony - always a must on my previous voyages.

I never before spent so much time in my cabin- reading my book- have a cup of tea.

I am sure you will love it! Oh and I started doing this exactly at your age ( now 51) !

• Like 1

I’ve traveled solo on Cunard 9 times now, and like you, I had many questions before my first.  I keep returning because I always have a wonderful time.  

You’ll find the ship full of congenial people – many, like you, will be making the cruise to sample their first taste of Cunard. Many will be in your age bracket as well, as the shorter cruise doesn’t require loads of free time. 

I’ve been in various Britannia balcony cabins, Britannia Club on Deck 13, and one of those Deck 3 Oceanview singles - which, as others have said, are wonderful.  

My recommendation would be to go Britannia and request a large table.  I prefer second sitting, which gives time beforehand to have a leisurely drink or two in the Commodore Club or the Chart Room.  I have not only met interesting people at my Britannia dinners, but have made some wonderful friends. Often our table is amongst the last to leave.

The only problem you’ll have – if you’re like most of us here – is that you won’t want to get off. And the future cruise office on Deck 2 is there to provide temptation!

• Like 1

I've cruised with Cunard three times (1 x QM2; 2 x QE) and have had a great time - twice I've been upgraded to PG, most probably because they wanted a single man to fill out a table! For dining I've been on larger tables and have had some wonderful dining companions, people I would never have come across otherwise. On my last QE cruise I joined the solo travellers group and our crew host Cordelia did a brilliant job. Hopefully next year's QM2 cruise will happen, though week by week I get less optimistic.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the responses. Cunard definitely seems like a good bet for a solo cruise judging by everyone's experiences.

Just need to decide if I will go ahead book the second "Birthday-Cruise" as well now. As it's on QV, will deffo look at the single occupancy in a double cabin option as have already seen a few of those options cheaper than the singles.

21 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

2 nights is a boat ride......cunard and the passengers shine in a much better light on longer cruises . 

Appreciated, but as stated this is a taster cruise for me, and as such I’m happy to go with a short cruise.

I have done QM2 twice solo and it is no big deal.  There are great places to hang out on your own and great places to meet people, depending on your preference.  For dinner choose a large table (the booking option is 6-8 people but the 10 seat tables on the QM2 are best for solos), and if you're not happy with the table insist on a change before it spoils your cruise.  I'd stick to Britannia as a solo as it offers the best choice to meet a diverse range of people.  In the buffet you'll mostly be eating alone unless you hit it off with any of your dining companions, but that's no big deal, just take a library book along (which is useful to 'reserve' a table while you collect your food anyhow).

Age will be the bigger issue.  On a Cunard cruise, particularly away from the peak holiday periods, it will be mostly older people, tempered slightly by the Hamburg trip being the tail end of a TA which will have a sprinkling of working age people relocating. if you don't mind being younger than your dining companions, no big deal.  The older passengers tend to prefer an earlier dinner so choosing the later sitting might be a good move.  Also you'll soon discover that the various areas of the ship and onboard activities tend to stratify the passengers somewhat in terms of age.

One last consideration, on a TA most of the Brits will have got off in Southampton, so the nationality mix of your cruise will be different from the usual.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

I like solo cruising with the QM2. But when i made a solo cruise i will prefer a table for me and not a big table for 8. 

In the Grills the atmosphere is quitter than in the britannia restaurant and the suites so nice! Sime weeks before the short cruises from HH there are normally good prices for Queens Suites.

For the QM2 I have

13 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Hello JP82,

You won't be cruising solo. You will be cruising with one of the Queens.

For the short cruise (two nights  = essentially one day) it does not matter what cabin you have. It does not matter what dining option you have. Exploring the ship will be you best meal on a cruise anyway, and the best way to socialize.

I would choose Britannia restaurant (MDR) just see more of the ship.

Choose the cheapest cabin, don't waste money on Britannia Club. It's the same as getting a taxi to get from Hamleys to Piccadilly Circus.

If I were on a Cunard ship for the first time just for two nights, I would not have time to eat and sleep.

Happy cruising!

For the QM2 November 2021 that I have now booked. I have booked the Oceanview Single, but I realise now I have booked the one with the "Oblong" porthole rather than the round one which seems to be the better reviewed option.

However yes I am a ship geek, so this is really just about getting on baord the ship and exploring and being able to say I have been on her. Then I imagine I will book a TA. Any other experiences will all just be pluses for me and secondary to sailing a Queen. 😃

I've done two solo TAs, both in balcony cabins (regular Britannia, not Club.)

The first time, I had a table for 2 for dinner, and ate by myself. I ended up only going down there 3 (?) times over the course of the week, and otherwise did buffet, or room service. 

The second TA, I was half-solo - I was travelling at the same time as a friend, and we were seated together at dinner (at a table for 6), but otherwise we each did our own thing. The table was lovely - a really nice mix of people, excellent conversations, and it was nice to recognize people to say hi to around the ship. 

Really, it's going to depend on how you like spending your time. If you like being on your own, go for a table for 2, and enjoy your solitary splendour. If you're more sociable, go for a larger table, but don't hesitate to ask the maitre'd to change your table after the first night if the table doesn't fit. 

(I'm still debating whether I'm going to do a B2B (with 4 days in London while the ship continues up to Hamburg), or if I'm just going to do a westbound with some days in London beforehand. Budget considerations abound.

A very good choice for a solo cruise.  The first cruise I took was a Transatlantic solo on the Queen Mary 2; it hooked me on cruising.  Since then I have been on a wide range of cruise lines (Carnival, Celebrity, Crystal, Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, MSC, Norwegian, Silversea) and Cunard was the best for solo cruises--they set you up well for dining with others and there is always something to do to keep busy and entertained.  After a long absence I plan to book another Cunard cruise next year (although I am no longer a fan of the formal wear the line requires/encourages).  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 6:54 AM, JP82 said:

So in a gesture of defiance to the current goal shenanigans, and given for now it's just a fairly low deposits on the board, I've finally taken the plunge and booked my first Cunard cruise, just to get a taste for Bonfire Night 2021 two nights to Hamburg. 

I've booked one of the single Oceanview cabins as reviews seem generally positive for them, and my friends who I normally cruise with are not interested in the tuxedoes and the whatnot that comes with a Cunard cruise. So it looks like this will not only be my first Cunard cruise, but my first solo cruise also.

I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on solo cruises on Cunard, and if someone of my age (38) will get along okay?

There's a also another mini-cruise on QV in early January in both 2021 and 2022 that is the day after my Birthday, that I'm considering and would consider that on in Britannia Club. Would that also work okay as a solo in anyones opinion?

I sail every year solo on the Queen Mary 2 and love it. I have met some very wonderful people on board. For obvious reasons I did not get to go this year but intend if possible to do a back to back transatlantic next year. Take

the plunge I don't think you will regret it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess I’ve never travelled solo, but I do often travel with family members where we often do our own thing during the day and meet for drinks and dinner in the evening.  

I generally find everyone on board friendly and chatty. I’m sure you will do so too. 

I agree with some of the previous comments that it may be preferable to use the regular Britannia restaurant vs Britannia Club simply because you can be ask for a large (and ideally sociable) table, which is the most obvious way to meet people. You can also ask to move tables - for example, we joined a table of eight for one of the celebratory dinners on my TA voyage last year. 

If you dine in Britannia, you can also get added to larger tables for breakfast and lunch too. 

I’m not sure about the shorter trips, but there are solo meetings on Cunard voyages as well as other group meetings such as Cruise Critic meet-ups, LGBT etc. I think others have kindly uploaded copies of the daily programme before, so perhaps take a look through to see if there is anything you might you should look out for once onboard? 

Do shout if you need more info - this forum is a good resource.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. I've done a lot of research (as that's all there is to do currently) with vlogs and articles etc, and I'm reasonably confident to give it a go and throw myself in. I've only cruised with friends before, but what I'm seeing and reading about Cunard makes me think I will enjoy it. And certainly a smaller length cruise will provide me a better way to gauge it before committing to a TA, which I fully intend to do further down the line, barring any upsets.

I actually went ahead and booked the 3 night QV Christmas Markets Mini cruise to for this December. TBH I'm extremely doubtful now that it will happen. But I thought it would be nice to sail on one of the two others first before building up to the QM2.