Which Princess sailings, (if any) do you think will sail this year? (And why)

CineGraphic

For September 2020, Princess.com shows a total of 8 sailings. 7 in New Zealand and Australia, and only 1 USA sailing, LA To FLL via Panama Canal.

October has a total of 38 sailings, with the bulk being Australia and Asia, about a dozen US sailings including Hawaii, Panama Canal and Mexican Riviera, with a tad of Europe thrown in for good measure.

November shows 45 sailings, with the Caribbean added into the mix

December has 52 sailings listed.

With the situation getting worse in the USA, and ships which are thousands of miles away, in need of modifications for social distancing, while crew members are spread all over the globe, I don't think the odds are good for sailing as planned. I'm hoping that Princess decides to make the call before final payments are due. We're booked for 2 November Caribbean sailings, with final payment due in August. We'll make the payment, knowing that if worse comes to worse, it can be applied to an October 2021 sailing we booked last summer.

The Coral Princess has a 19 day R/T via the Panama Canal departing September 27 from Los Angeles. Not going to Fort Lauderdale. We were booked on that cruise for quite some time, but opted instead for the 30 day cruise on the Grand Princess from Los Angeles to Shanghai departing October 24.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

I’m just hoping we can go on our May 2021 British Isles cruise.  I’m cautiously optimistic that things will improve by then.  2020 I think is a complete loss TBH.  

I would tend to agree with you.  I also think that until there is a successful treatment/vaccine/containment protocol there are going to be a large number of folks who are going to be reluctant to get back on a cruise ship.  Definitely get that impression from the comments all around CC.

There are effectively only 3 cruises in September; 1 being the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral from LA return ( We were booked on that one but cancelled a while back already) and 2 around down under;

1: Majestic - 13 day Sidney return depart Sept 28

2: Sapphire -  2 day Sidney to Brisbane  Depart Sept. 19

17 day Sidney to Perth depart Sept.19

26 day Sidney to Mebourne depart Sept.19

30  day Sidney return depart Sept.19

15 day Brisbane to Perth depart Sept.21

28 day Brisbane to Sidney depart Sept.21

You could call it 6 cruises on the Sapphire but you either get on in Sidney and get kicked off in Brisbane-Perth or Mebourne. Or you get on in Brisbane to go as far as Perth or all the way to Sidney. 

To me it looks more of one of those longer cruises where they sell segments.

Theo

• Thanks 1

Good probability that none will sail in 2020. It would be so difficult to keep people separated on a cruise ship, elevators, dining, lounges all pose transmission risks. Add that to the issue of open ports of call and the possibility of extended ship quarantines which would hurt the industry even further. Also ask yourself the question, is this a vacation experience you would enjoy?

Think post vaccine, post pandemic and 2022. That's what we are thinking. 

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 2

Here in Australia we have two cruises booked Oct and Nov 2020 from Melbourne return... with the  current situation here with apartment block in FUll Lock down ( nobody leave their apartment )....

Each of the States is fighting about boarder closures...... and those in power have distrust of cruise ships after the Ruby Princess ( even though the government departments did the wrong thing )

With all that  I have more chance in the winning the lottery......

Present plan into wait until canceled and see if they offer refund and depending the outcome...

Get money back for deposit  payed then use FCC to book a cruise late next year......

Then book local holiday...when the boarders open....

Cheers Don  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

I’m just hoping we can go on our May 2021 British Isles cruise.  I’m cautiously optimistic that things will improve by then.  2020 I think is a complete loss TBH.  

Good luck on the May 2021 cruise🤞. I totally agree with you about the 2020 cruise season. 
Tony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skynight said:

Think post vaccine, post pandemic and 2022. That's what we are thinking.

I gather that is when you are thinking of taking a cruise next.  There won't be a cruise line left to sail with if they don't get back to the seas before then.  I am not even sure how many survive with zero ships operating in 2020.  

I still expect the Caribbean sector to be among the first to start up.

• Like 2

Steelers36;  the cruise lines can survive 2020;  most have already secured financing thru Dec.  The main issue is if the CDC opens up cruising for 2021. Yes the cruise lines are selling cruises for 2021; but it will be up to the CDC and what guidelines they use for the lines to start up again.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I have a cruise booked with Princess for Oct 2021;  New England/Canada.  Right now I say this ship will sail. 

It would take a lot of positive news for that to happen. And i think it is safe to say that we are all rooting for that outcome.

Plans can charge, but---

Royal Caribbean plans to start sailing again on September 16 assuming that it has the clearance of health authorities.

The company's timetable to restart cruises is two weeks ahead of the September 30 date set by Carnival  and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Steelers36;  the cruise lines can survive 2020;  most have already secured financing thru Dec.  The main issue is if the CDC opens up cruising for 2021. Yes the cruise lines are selling cruises for 2021; but it will be up to the CDC and what guidelines they use for the lines to start up again.

Just a question.  Most cruise lines have secured financing thru Dec.  Do you think that a lender will finance them more money if the ships don't start to sail?  If the ships don't sail, and they can't pay their loans back, they go out of business, and I believe that the ships become property of the lenders.  What lender would want to loose that much money and then be the owner of ship which can't sail.  Lines have gone under before.  What do you think?

26 minutes ago, caribill said:

Plans can charge, but---

Royal Caribbean plans to start sailing again on September 16 assuming that it has the clearance of health authorities.

The company's timetable to restart cruises is two weeks ahead of the September 30 date set by Carnival  and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.

And no matter what they plan, they are not only at the mercy of local health officials, but more importantly the virus.

• Like 1

I can see Mexico/West Coast USA; Caribbean; Panama; Aus/NZ (local residents only) and China/Asia (local only).  I don't see much else.  As for deployments:

1. Aus/NZ - Sun, Sea, 

2. China/Asia - Diamond, Sapphire, Majestic

3. West Coast/Mexico - Royal; Grand; Emerald/Ruby?

4. Panama - Island, Coral, Star?

5. Caribbean - Caribbean; Crown; Regal; Sky, Discovery, Emerald/Ruby?

Out of Service - Pacific :(; Golden (in for P&O Aussie Refit); 

I think local passengers will make up the bulk of passenger with less international mix for the next 6 months to a year.

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Just a question.  Most cruise lines have secured financing thru Dec.  Do you think that a lender will finance them more money if the ships don't start to sail?  If the ships don't sail, and they can't pay their loans back, they go out of business, and I believe that the ships become property of the lenders.  What lender would want to loose that much money and then be the owner of ship which can't sail.  Lines have gone under before.  What do you think?

If things go really bad and the ships end up with the lenders; they will then sell the ships to lowest bidder.  Somewhere down the road cruise lines will sail again.

• Like 1

geocruiser;  I am hopeful that things around the world get better and a vaccine is developed and we get CDC and WHO clearance to sail again.  You have to have faith; so keep the faith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1