Princess Cay Sanctuary Clamshells

beachys

3 hours ago, beachys said:

We want to get a Clamshell at Princess Cays; however when booking online you cannot specify the beach.  Do they rent clamshells for the adults only Sanctuary beach?

We want to get a Clamshell at Princess Cays; however when booking online you cannot specify the beach.  Do they rent clamshells for the adults only Sanctuary beach?

When you get off the tender do not go to the main beach. Walk to the right and go over the little bridge. It’s not adults only but it is much quieter with all amenities and a nicer sandy beach with less rocks. Since the clamshells are first come first served try to go early.

• Thanks 1

The clamshell booth was to the right over the bridge. This is the beach area where you will find the most clamshells. This is not an adults only area, but with only two/shell you should find the area fairly free of youth. The beach in this area is kind of rocky with coral rocks. The dining pavilion is smaller and not as busy. We were in Princess Cays this past February. We noticed some clamshells on the main beach, the beach to the left as you exit the tender. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, they have the clamshell umbrella covers everywhere now (but not in the Sanctuary area).  For those not been there as yet, be aware that the sun shines from the ocean to the beach in that area for the afternoon.  Those shells can be hot, so make sure you want to open in the rear some for venting.  And they aren't going to provide a lot of shade into the afternoon due to sun angle.  Depends what you want out of a day at the beach.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So you can reserve a cabana online; but clamshell has to be reserved when you get on the beach;  is this correct?

Believe you can reserve in the cruise personlizer, also at the tour desk, but locations on the beach are on a 1st come basis.

"This rental is sold by the clamshell. Please book per clamshell not per person. Each clamshell can accommodate up to two guests. One ticket is valid for two people. Location of the clamshell is available on a first come first served basis upon arrival to shore. Two beach chairs are included. This rental is sold on a NO-REFUND basis after closing time for cancellation. Please see the posted time on the Tour Order Forms onboard."

• Like 1

skynight;  thanks.  This is similar to the clam shell tours in Roatan.  I bought a shore excursion which included a clam shell, snorkle equipt, and sky tram ticket.  The clam shells were first come;  so by the time my wife and I arrived at the beach all the clam shells by the water were taken.  Again,  thanks for your answer.

1 hour ago, beachys said:

So Adults only area on Princess Cay is private? 

It is for those that reserve the limited number of adult only cabanas. In the past if you sailed anytime other than school holidays there weren't very many youth on board, thus not very many at Princess Cays. Another interesting observation. With over 20 years of cruises on Princess ships we have noticed more and more passengers remain on board. Twenty years ago the on board pool areas were empty on beach day. Now there are lots of passengers lounging around the pools.  

• Thanks 1

So Adults only area on Princess Cay is private? 

Yes. When we were there last February there was a Princess employee checking to insure you had a ticket for the bungalows.  He was gone in the afternoon and saw people walking thru checking the area out.  As others have said there is usually very few children except during the holidays on Princess ships.

37 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

And these clam shells are on Princess Private Island called Princess Cays?  I have not been there; so I am asking.  Thanks

Google 'Princess Cay images' and you will see lots of photos including some with clamshells.

You reserve the clam shells on the excursion page in your personalizer for Princess Cays and you get  a voucher in your cabin when you first board and take it with you when leaving the ship on a tender for the Island you choose which clam shell you would like and hand your voucher to the beach attendant.

22 hours ago, skynight said:

With over 20 years of cruises on Princess ships we have noticed more and more passengers remain on board. Twenty years ago the on board pool areas were empty on beach day. Now there are lots of passengers lounging around the pools.  

It's because of all the "Private" islands that the cruise lines operate, this is the worst of the bunch.  Doesn't compare to what RCCL, MSC,  HAL and the others offer to their passengers.  If you've been once, no reason to repeat for a mediocre rocky beach and sub-par picnic lunch.     

You are more likely to see much better beaches at any of your port calls on the trip vs Princess Cay IMO

10 minutes ago, dns65 said:

It's because of all the "Private" islands that the cruise lines operate, this is the worst of the bunch.  Doesn't compare to what RCCL, MSC,  HAL and the others offer to their passengers.  If you've been once, no reason to repeat for a mediocre rocky beach and sub-par picnic lunch.     

You are more likely to see much better beaches at any of your port calls on the trip vs Princess Cay IMO

Cannot disagree, but since it is first stop out from PE generally, my wife likes to hit the beach for a while at least.  IMO the food is really down from what it was 10 or so years ago.  I'd say go over early while it is still cool and come back to ship for a mid to late lunch and stay on board.

52 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Interesting take on Princess' private island.  So people think this is the worst of all the cruise Lines?

People?  No, just my opinion based on seeing what 4 other lines offer on private islands I've been to.   And that's purely on the "quality" of the beach as this is supposed to be beach port call  

Which cruise line private island did you visit that you thought wasn't as nice as PC? I'd be interested in knowing what you rank below PC for private islands you've been to.  

Edited by dns65