New Cruising Guidelines Issued by EU

Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

cost tens of millions   in 3 months they  saw less than 10..........   

Better to be prepared. And who knows what's coming up.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

What I saw on the news last night from Houston is that several ICU destined patients had to stay in the ER as the ICU was full.

Even though you are not a physician you will appreciate that the care one receives in ER is not one would in an ICU.

Several patients needed to go on ECMO but they only had 3 of them - the unlucky ones will probably die.

I am sure all of this is "fake news".

Maybe POTUS should watch a little more of that coverage rather than gets all his medical news from Tucker Carlson.

Hey I said there were spot shortages, but did that hospital in Houston had nothing but "covid19" patients in the ICU or just a large minority?  Everything should be considered when one examine a problem.  You have to keep your perspective of the situation.  You just can't look at just 1 or 2 things.  

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I was at a Major regional hospital in So Calif yesterday...  told me they are at only 50% of beds.... Of  the virus , they had , according to them, about 12 patients is all they have seen...total.     My local hospital also in So cal  has 75% of their ICU empty... and in 5 months has yet to see any virus patient.     So cal brought in hospital ships, converted convention centers to hospitals with hundreds of beds.... cost tens of millions   in 3 months they  saw less than 10..........   A lot of reaction in a panic 

Here in Chinatown, San Francisco, we have some of the lowest number of cases in my area.  Because of all the traveling between China and USA from the Chinese here in Chinatown, I expected it to be the epicenter of San Francisco, instead the district is one the district with the fewest cases.  Right now, I ask my wife  (who likes to gossip) if she knew anyone in San Francisco who had the virus and she said no.  I don't know anyone who has the virus (excluding the celebrities or sport stars or government official who caught the disease).  The people in Chinatown still buy their food on a daily basis.  They are wearing their masks,  but social distancing is impossible when you are shopping in Chinatown, forget about 6 ft, maybe 2 or 3 ft.  Is everything a Potemkin Village?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I was at a Major regional hospital in So Calif yesterday...  told me they are at only 50% of beds.... Of  the virus , they had , according to them, about 12 patients is all they have seen...total.     My local hospital also in So cal  has 75% of their ICU empty... and in 5 months has yet to see any virus patient.     So cal brought in hospital ships, converted convention centers to hospitals with hundreds of beds.... cost tens of millions   in 3 months they  saw less than 10..........   A lot of reaction in a panic 

Interesting as my son and daughter-in-law are MDs at UCLA Med Center, and ICU capacity is at 82% as of 7/6.

75% of those cases COVID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I think I'll move to Qatar first thing in the morning.

Don't let the door hit you in the a.. on the way out   Still have a safe trip,  and write. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Hey I said there were spot shortages, but did that hospital in Houston had nothing but "covid19" patients in the ICU or just a large minority?  Everything should be considered when one examine a problem.  You have to keep your perspective of the situation.  You just can't look at just 1 or 2 things.  

OK - some of those patients didn’t really belong to the ICU - the hospital just put them ther to make more money (sarcasm).

Whom do you want to throw out of that ICU Dr.Deadzone - it’s your call. Your next call will be that you need more than the 3 ECMOs that you have. How will you decide who gets one and who doesn’t?

That’s even if you decided To throw a heart attack patient out of iCU to make room for a COVID patient.

Edited by Paulchili

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

OK - some of those patients didn’t really belong to the ICU - the hospital just put them ther to make more money.

Whom do you want to throw out of that ICU Dr.Deadzone - it’s your call. Your next call will be that you need more than the 3 ECMOs that you have. How will you decide who gets one and who doesn’t?

That’s even if you decided To throw a heart attack patient out of iCU to make room for a COVID patient.

A few months ago the Federal Government built a full hospital, and a big one in the New York  Convention Center and brought in a Naval  Hospital Ship also to N.Y. and almost no one used either of those facilities.  People know how to cry wolf to sound like they know what they are talking about. But a lot of the time they have no clue. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

OK - some of those patients didn’t really belong to the ICU - the hospital just put them ther to make more money (sarcasm).

From your original statement you were inferring that the ICU was overwhelmed with covid19 patients.  True to a degree, but my point was more like if you pour all of a half-full glass of water into another glass 2/3 full of milk (same size glasses), the glass that had the milk will overflow.  If that glass with the milk had been empty, you would have no overflow.  My other point was that the ICU was so full because of the 3 months backlog of sick people who got sicker because they were not allowed or too scared to be treated.  As for my call?  How about using some ambulances and transferring them to other hospitals whose ICU's are not as full.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Interesting as my son and daughter-in-law are MDs at UCLA Med Center, and ICU capacity is at 82% as of 7/6.

75% of those cases COVID.

Dan plays a bit fast and loose with 'data' sometimes. Thanks for the facts.

55 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

My other point was that the ICU was so full because of the 3 months backlog of sick people who got sicker because they were not allowed or too scared to be treated.

Right - I had a heart attack and my neighbor was in septic shock but we thought we'd better wait because we were too scared to be treated.

55 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

As for my call?  How about using some ambulances and transferring them to other hospitals whose ICU's are not as full.  

Great plan, except - A quote from local papers:

Texas Medical Center hospitals go into Phase 2 surge plans as ICU capacity exceeds 100 percent

With the number of intensive-care patients now exceeding capacity, Texas Medical Center hospitals have begun implementing COVID-19 surge plans that leaders thought might not be necessary after numbers fell far short of projections in April and May.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend who lives in Slovakia - many people have not even heard of this country.

Yet, they wrote the book on how to deal with COVID - wish we had been as smart. I am envious.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/european-nation-with-least-virus-deaths-proves-speed-is-key

It might be easy to say that they only have 5.5 M people - it was easy for them.

But a small country like that has proportionately fewer medical staff, med. facilities, supplies, funds, etc, etc. But had the right leadership at the right time and apparently people smart enough to follow the advice of experts.

We are supposed to be the richest country with best medical resources,best scientists, etc, etc, etc but apparently lots of dumb people.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I have a friend who lives in Slovakia - many people have not even heard of this country.

Yet, they wrote the book on how to deal with COVID - wish we had been as smart. I am envious.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/european-nation-with-least-virus-deaths-proves-speed-is-key

It might be easy to say that they only have 5.5 M people - it was easy for them.

But a small country like that has proportionately fewer medical staff, med. facilities, supplies, funds, etc, etc. But had the right leadership at the right time and apparently people smart enough to follow the advice of experts.

We are supposed to be the richest country with best medical resources,best scientists, etc, etc, etc but apparently lots of dumb people.

Unfortunately it takes someone to lead and a willingness to follow, we have neither.

• Like 6

On 7/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, njhorseman said:

Cruise Critic posted a news article about these guidelines on July 2:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/

Please note that these are guidelines and individual countries may not follow them to the letter, or may impose even more stringent requirements.

Any idea where the survey numbers are posted (from the survey at the end of the link).

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

17 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Right now, I ask my wife  (who likes to gossip) if she knew anyone in San Francisco who had the virus and she said no.  I don't know anyone who has the virus

The first death in our state was on March 29.  He lived 1 1/2 blocks from our home.  Our DIL has a grandparent in a nursing facility who along with multiple other residents are now positive, all exposed by the facility doctor.  (Hello contact tracing.)  Yeah, we know "someone".

You may not know anyone who has the virus TODAY.  However, with all the jackwagons who are running out there to prove themselves right, they are now breathing down your neck.....or in your face.  We most likely will all be touched in a personal way by this plague.   We will all "know someone".

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RJB said:

Don't let the door hit you in the a.. on the way out   Still have a safe trip,  and write. 

RJB & TB - I have great news for you and I know that you'll be very happy about this because you would have missed me greatly .😀

I was all packed to move to Qatar until I saw this. Close call

08-MORNING-WORSTOUTBREAKS-articleLarge.png

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

RJB & TB - I have great news for you and I know that you'll be very happy about this because you would have missed me greatly .😀

I was all packed to move to Qatar until I saw this. Close call

08-MORNING-WORSTOUTBREAKS-articleLarge.png

Missed you?  Not so much, but I do not want you getting sick.  Welcome home.