NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

1 minute ago, Thequietone said:

The UK consumer protection laws are much stricter than in the USA. Also the purchase of CruiseNext vouchers was made on a UK Credit card, so even more protection for us.

Trying to deal with NCL and achieve settlement is what we have to prove we did in UK Law. We have to prove this also to the credit card company .

If after our efforts nothing prevails and the company do not refund or compensate,then the Law forces NCL to pay plus expenses. The Credit Card companies are duty bound to refund also. Goods purchased,ie an extended CruiseNext voucher accepted by the company and a service not delivered due to not fault of the purchaser.

I just do not understand why NCL are being so ridiculous. 

I have read many posts over the years from UK cruisers that offers to UK passengers differ from those of US/Canadian ones. For instance, it's my understanding that American passengers can request a refund of the daily service charge, but UK passengers cannot. Also, that some cruise lines offer free water to US/Canadian passengers on board, but not to UK/Irish ones. I believe the prices may be higher, too. I'm glad you have good protections as a consumer, but I'm sure you pay for that one way or another.

We can request gratuities refunded if required, no problem. I often purchase cruises in many different world markets, depending on price UK andnUSA included. Using a UK Credit Card we get full protection where ever we purchase the cruise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for the explanation. What's a good resource I could consult to see what my options might be if this were to happen to me? Would I need to sue the cruise line?

Litigation would be effective but costly. I'd use it only as a last resort. The court system is busy and will frown upon their time being "wasted" by a merchant that refuses to play fairly. 

Start with the merchant. Assuming it is NCL, that's likely to give little result. At least, that was my experience. I was made to feel like I was bothering them about the status of my 110 day old refund claim. Use credit card protections that may be available for services not provided. Contact consumer protection agencies. There are taxpayer-funded agencies at the Federal, State, and Local level in the US, including Miami-Dade county. A quick, Google search will help guide your process. Litigation as a last resort but watch timeframe and jurisdiction for filing the claim. Mine got resolved quickly and favorably at the consumer protection agency step.

• Like 1

Just now, Thequietone said:

We can request gratuities refunded if required, no problem. I often purchase cruises in many different world markets, depending on price UK andnUSA included. Using a UK Credit Card we get full protection where ever we purchase the cruise. 

That must have changed, I have seen several UK passengers complain about that in the past. @Beamafar has stated as much on the MSC boards, and so have many others. My point is the same, though, and and it stems from Economics 101: there's no such thing as a free lunch. If you're getting consumer protections, you're paying for them, one way or another- no way around it. I do wish you a happy resolution to the situation with your Cruisenext certificates, and based on your recent posts, it sounds like you have one. 😃

3 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Litigation would be effective but costly. I'd use it only as a last resort. The court system is busy and will frown upon their time being "wasted" by a merchant that refuses to play fairly. 

Start with the merchant. Assuming it is NCL, that's likely to give little result. At least, that was my experience. I was made to feel like I was bothering them about the status of my 110 day old refund claim. Use credit card protections that may be available for services not provided. Contact consumer protection agencies. There are taxpayer-funded agencies at the Federal, State, and Local level in the US, including Miami-Dade county. A quick, Google search will help guide your process. Litigation as a last resort but watch timeframe and jurisdiction for filing the claim. Mine got resolved quickly and favorably at the consumer protection agency step.

That's great! I always try to look at cost/benefit ratio. Is it worth my time to call, email, wait, etc a long time to get a $250 reward? Maybe, maybe not. Everybody is different. I think our friend @Thequietone thinks it is, and I personally hope s/he gets the outcome s/he is looking for.