Silly first timer questions

pebbles1102

I am going on my very first Windstar cruise in February 2021.  It is a 7 night eastern Caribbean- San Juan to San Juan on the Breeze.

I have a couple of questions

1) what is embarkation like?  Is your room ready right away or do you have to wait?

2) Is there a muster drill?

Thanks in advance.  Any other tips for first timers would be greatly appreciated

We did San Juan to San Juan last January with my daughter and her boyfriend. We stayed at a great little hotel in old town, probably five minute cab ride to the dock.

Boarding was a cinch, get there early to avoid checking in lines, the room was ready and wonderful. There was a muster as always.

A tip, a CVS is right across from the dock if you realize you missed something

Embarkation is a Breeze (sorry for the pun). Usually starts at 1 pm. If you are there at 1 it might take you ten minutes to get on the ship - after that usually no line. You show them your passport, get on the ship and go the lounge. They will give you a drink, you then go to the stage area where they take your picture, check you in, give you your keys and take you to your stateroom.  There is a muster drill on deck around 5 pm but with new procedures for social distancing they may handle it differently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

No question is a silly question! We all remember our first cruise-if only that had been a Windstar Cruise then I wouldn’t have been put off cruising for 20 years!

This will be my ninth cruise overall,  but all the other ones have been on the major lines.  I have a feeling I will be ruined after my Windstar Cruise.  

Another question, are your bags delivered to your room or can you bring them on with you?

We were the second to last Windstar cruise out of San Juan back in February 2020 on the Star Pride.

We got there shortly before one.  We dropped off our luggage and walked around for 15 minutes.  Then came back.  I think we waited 5-10 minutes maybe (probably closer to five) for them to check our boarding passes and passports. Then we had to get our temperatures taken.  Then we boarded.

The longer waits were the lines onboard to formally check in and turn over your passports.  But even that probably took 10 minutes.  I would say that we missed our preferred night for dining outside.  It had already been booked.

We had already purchased the beverage package, so all of those people left us alone.

I am not sure you want to try to carry on luggage as you have to walk up a relatively steep gangway and then wait in line in some tight spaces once onboard.

I remember our very first Windstar cruise. We embarked in Rome (Civitavecchia), and it was raining. I fretted the whole way on the drive from Rome to Civitavecchia that morning because I knew we were going to be early, and I  pictured us standing in the rain with our luggage. Well, no. There was a very nice enclosed waiting area with drinks, cookies, restrooms and plenty of seating to wait for 1:00 p.m. boarding time. I should have known.

Your cabin will be ready, but it may take a little while for your bags to come.  We get checked in, drop our carryons in the room and then head for lunch.  Generally by the time we're done eating the bags will have arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually have 1 large bag and 2 carryon bags. They take care of getting the large bag to the cabin and never had to carry my 2 carryons up the steps myself.  There's someone there to take your carryon bags up the steps, if you'd like.  I always have 2 bottles on wine in my carryon as allowed, to drink in my room.  No need to bring any water or soda as they're included and stocked in your room.  Boarding a Windstar ship is the easiest embarkation process I've had.

Edited by jmbklj