Ports' Status?

GeorgesGal

Has anyone come across a current ports' status list?  The last one I've seen is from early June or late May.

I know EU and UK have closed to US, as well as Canada, but was wondering about the Caribbean.

Thanks.

Since no one is currently sailing , does it matter?  You can check most port schedules out in the future though. 

I checked the cruise terminals for my Sirena cruise in Nov/Dec and it still shows her there and them open, although closed now.

In many places the cruise terminal is separate from the port. While the port is operating the cruise terminal isn’t.

Edited by pinotlover

I think it matters.  It gives hope towards a timeline for cruising to resume.  For example, I have a cruise booked for March 2021.  At the time of booking I had every reason to believe we would sail.  Now, I actively research the ports on my itinerary because I'm not so sure anymore about whether or not we will sail.  If I know that a port on my itinerary is open and willing to accept cruise ships (even if they aren't sailing right now) then I have hope.  However, if the port in say, Cozumel says no way we are accepting ships through the end of 2021, well then that's something different.

In the end, it helps to know who is willing to receive ships and who is not.  

• Like 1

You plainly said a “ current port status”. I took that to mean their status currently, not in 2021. You can, in most cases, google the port or cruise terminal and find its current and future schedule. See if your ship is scheduled in for the date on your cruise.

As I stated, some of the ports we are to visit are currently closed, but all show to be open in Nov/Dec.

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

You plainly said a “ current port status”. I took that to mean their status currently, not in 2021. You can, in most cases, google the port or cruise terminal and find its current and future schedule. See if your ship is scheduled in for the date on your cruise.

As I stated, some of the ports we are to visit are currently closed, but all show to be open in Nov/Dec.

I'd just like to point out that I am not the OP.  I was just explaining my perspective on why it might matter to some people.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

I think it matters.  It gives hope towards a timeline for cruising to resume.  For example, I have a cruise booked for March 2021.  At the time of booking I had every reason to believe we would sail.  Now, I actively research the ports on my itinerary because I'm not so sure anymore about whether or not we will sail.  If I know that a port on my itinerary is open and willing to accept cruise ships (even if they aren't sailing right now) then I have hope.  However, if the port in say, Cozumel says no way we are accepting ships through the end of 2021, well then that's something different.

In the end, it helps to know who is willing to receive ships and who is not.  

Given the current fluctuations the status now won’t tell you a about March 2021. Openings and closings will likely be moving targets. Until cruises actually restart there is no reason to have hope or not have hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Given the current fluctuations the status now won’t tell you a about March 2021. Openings and closings will likely be moving targets. Until cruises actually restart there is no reason to have hope or not have hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree.  I was just giving an example of why someone might want to monitor which ports are open to ships.  Someone who has an October or November 2020 cruise on the books might be looking at this with interest.

Sheeh!  Tough crowd.

OP, if I come across the info. you are seeking, I will certainly post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, pinotlover said:

The Cozumel port currently shows reopening on 9/15. The first NCLH ship scheduled in is the Norwegian Getaway on 12/22, probably on their cruise starting 12/19.

Hope that helps.

I figured that Cozumel would be among the first Caribbean ports to open.  I am a little concerned that some ports will open out of economic desperation, even if they aren't really ready.

Thanks for the info!

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The Cozumel port currently shows reopening on 9/15. The first NCLH ship scheduled in is the Norwegian Getaway on 12/22, probably on their cruise starting 12/19.

Hope that helps.

Using Cozumel as an example, doesn't the country - Mexico - have any say in this type of thing. Meaning the port/municipality may be 'hot to trot,' but not the country.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Using Cozumel as an example, doesn't the country - Mexico - have any say in this type of thing. Meaning the port/municipality may be 'hot to trot,' but not the country.

Mexico has reopened to international tourists including Americans.

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Mexico has reopened to international tourists including Americans.

Not fully per this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/which-countries-are-open-for-summer-travel-after-coronavirus.html

Mexico is opening state by state and until July 21 there is a non-essential travel restriction with the US in place until July 21.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not fully per this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/which-countries-are-open-for-summer-travel-after-coronavirus.html

Mexico is opening state by state and until July 21 there is a non-essential travel restriction with the US in place until July 21.

Thanks. I thought I remembered that. Also reopening to US travelers might not mean cruise ships. Different perceived stinky kettle of fish perhaps.

I should have been more specific. Cancun and Cozumel, of which we were discussing, have opened back up.

Currently, first cruise ships scheduled 9/15, with things ramping up 10/1 per the cruise terminal schedule for Cozumel.

That’s 2.5 months away. We shouldn’t project current conditions continually into the future. While it may snow in Aspen in mid March, it rarely does for July!

Edited by pinotlover

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

While it may snow in Aspen in mid March, it rarely does for July!

OT but it has snowed every one of the 365 at Lake Tahoe since they started keeping records. Perhaps a tad ON topic, when our daughter was planning her outdoor wedding there for mid-Sept., she had a backup plan to move it indoors. It didn't snow 🙂

This site might be of some help to you, GeorgesGal, although it is oriented towards ships' crews and does not cover all possible ports in the Caribbean.  It might be useful for other destinations.

https://www.wilhelmsen.com/ships-agency/campaigns/coronavirus/coronavirus-map/

Edited by Hanoverian

Thank you all for your comments!  I'm cruising in December and having lists of currently open ports gives me some idea of how things are degrading or improving, thus an idea if my cruise will be cancelled or not.

In the meantime, I will be checking the links provided by you on a monthly basis for changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the current port status (for cruise ships with passengers) is that all ports remain closed!  We would also note that although some Caribbean islands are gradually reopening to tourism none has specifically said they will allow cruise ships to visit.  Like many here we anxiously are watching to see what the future holds for cruising.  But my crystal ball has fallen out of my hands and shattered on the floor :(.  

Hank