Let's start thinking about 2021 solo sailing

coastcat

Always re-check your pricing and clear your cookies! Celebrity is having a flash sale offering perks. Well, I had booked with no perks because it was $1800 less and the perks were for 2 people (2 beverage packages, 2 wifi packages) even if you only had single occupancy. For the heck of it I went through a mock booking today to see what the perks price was. It was still showing as $1800 more at first, but to my surprise I was offered a choice of 3 perks (with classic beverage package) or 4 perks (with the premium beverage package) for the same price. And the final price was... within $50 of my original no-perks price. Sweet! I called Celebrity and the agent couldn't bring up the same offer. She even tried it on the website and came up with the same pricing I had scoffed at the first time around. But I'm seeing it... so I had her cancel my booking (refundable deposit) and I did a fresh booking. Oddly enough I saw the amazing offer on the browser I don't use for accessing cruise sites but saw the same much higher pricing the agent did on the browser I use for searching for cruises. Lesson learned there.

Ā 

This time I got some significant savings: premium alcohol package + unlimited wifi + prepaid gratuities + $150 OBC for the same price as the cabin with none of that. This will make up for the next time I have to pay a 100% solo supplement...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Always re-check your pricing and clear your cookies! Celebrity is having a flash sale offering perks. Well, I had booked with no perks because it was $1800 less and the perks were for 2 people (2 beverage packages, 2 wifi packages) even if you only had single occupancy. For the heck of it I went through a mock booking today to see what the perks price was. It was still showing as $1800 more at first, but to my surprise I was offered a choice of 3 perks (with classic beverage package) or 4 perks (with the premium beverage package) for the same price. And the final price was... within $50 of my original no-perks price. Sweet! I called Celebrity and the agent couldn't bring up the same offer. She even tried it on the website and came up with the same pricing I had scoffed at the first time around. But I'm seeing it... so I had her cancel my booking (refundable deposit) and I did a fresh booking. Oddly enough I saw the amazing offer on the browser I don't use for accessing cruise sites but saw the same much higher pricing the agent did on the browser I use for searching for cruises. Lesson learned there.

Ā 

This time I got some significant savings: premium alcohol package + unlimited wifi + prepaid gratuities + $150 OBC for the same price as the cabin with none of that. This will make up for the next time I have to pay a 100% solo supplement...

Ā 

Congrats! Way to stick with it and have the Celebrity agent cancel your previous booking and rebook it yourself online. You got some great perks (especially the premium beverage package).

Ā 

Yeah, I have a similar browser issue. My primary browser is Firefox but sometimes it fails to open certain websites. I'll switch over to Chrome and go to the exact same website and it works fine.

Ā 

This is your Sept 2021 Celebrity Solstice 15 day trans-pacific cruise? Also, I think you told be before that you're in a balcony? That's going to be an awesome cruise! With the early positive news today on 2 possible COVID 19Ā  vaccines, I'm hopeful that cruising will resume in early/mid 2021. I think you're in good shape to sail in Sept 2021.

25 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I think you're in good shape to sail in Sept 2021.

Stay healthy, stay patient, and stay strong - we'll be back on the ocean in due time. I'll certainly never take travel for granted again...

Ā 

Yes, this is the transpacific. The regular balcony price was good but AquaClass wasn't much more so I couldn't resist.Ā 

Ā 

Chrome is my standard browser but it doesn't play well with some websites I use. For some reason I decided to use Firefox for all my cruise stuff including CC. I only went to the Celebrity site on Chrome because the browser was already open and I felt lazy. Being lazy paid off this time.

Ā 

Ā 

17 hours ago, coastcat said:

Yes, this is the transpacific. The regular balcony price was good but AquaClass wasn't much more so I couldn't resist.Ā 

Ā 

I was going to ask you about AquaClass but I went ahead and "googled" it instead. Wow, I found a lot of information. Looks like besides the perks you are getting by booking you'll also be getting more perks (e.g. fluffier robes, special shower, extra spa items, expanded room service menu, access to the specialty restaurant Blu, etc).

Ā 

I still have as my "goal" (when I step up to a luxury line), is to book one of those Edge class solo infinite veranda staterooms. Some day...

Edited by farmersfight

50 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Ā 

I still have as my "goal" (when I step up to a luxury line), is to book one of those Edge class solo infinite veranda staterooms. Some day...

...but don't you like the warm tropical breezes blowing through your hair, and feeling the seaspray in your face?Ā  Yeah, there are 2 sides to these, but I don't think I can do a hermatically sealed sunroom on the high seas.Ā  Some itineraries would benefit from it - maybe the transatlantics for the mid ocean days, but I don't think I am sold. Chances of heavy rain also makes an open balcony less usable.Ā  As I know you are still finding your way, don't be put off by some balconies that are 'bulkhead balconies' which have a steel framer around the 'edge.Ā  It actually provides some weather protection and more privacy.Ā  I quite enjoyed the one IĀ had on NCL Dawn.Ā Ā 

If ever interested, I thinkĀ the Edge infinite veranda design is similar to most ofĀ river cruise 'balconies'Ā  They are those half depth 'Juliette' balconies and often closed up.

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

...but don't you like the warm tropical breezes blowing through your hair, and feeling the seaspray in your face?Ā  Yeah, there are 2 sides to these, but I don't think I can do a hermatically sealed sunroom on the high seas.Ā  Some itineraries would benefit from it - maybe the transatlantics for the mid ocean days, but I don't think I am sold. Chances of heavy rain also makes an open balcony less usable.Ā  As I know you are still finding your way, don't be put off by some balconies that are 'bulkhead balconies' which have a steel framer around the 'edge.Ā  It actually provides some weather protection and more privacy.Ā  I quite enjoyed the one IĀ had on NCL Dawn.Ā Ā 

If ever interested, I thinkĀ the Edge infinite veranda design is similar to most ofĀ river cruise 'balconies'Ā  They are those half depth 'Juliette' balconies and often closed up.

Ā 

With those infinite veranda staterooms, I'm guessing when you open up the folding walls, you would get warm tropical breezes blowing through your hair and seaspray in your face, even when in the interior part of your stateroom, lol.

Ā 

Not sure what you mean by "bulkhead balconies". Are these similar to Carnival's "cove balconies"?

Ā 

Oh well, I probably won't have to worry about it for awhile anyway. I know I'll be ready to step up from mainline cruise ships to luxury when I start calling "balconies" "verandas", lol.

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

Ā 

With those infinite veranda staterooms, I'm guessing when you open up the folding walls, you would get warm tropical breezes blowing through your hair and seaspray in your face, even when in the interior part of your stateroom, lol.

Ā 

Not sure what you mean by "bulkhead balconies". Are these similar to Carnival's "cove balconies"?

Ā 

Oh well, I probably won't have to worry about it for awhile anyway. I know I'll be ready to step up from mainline cruise ships to luxury when I start calling "balconies" "verandas", lol.

Take a look at photos from the infinite balconies again. The outside edge is all glassed in. So a sunroom, notĀ  fresh air balcony. Ships dissuade fresh air flowing into a cabin as it messes with the AC for you and your neighbors. There are always reminders to keep the balcony doors closed for this reason. So I doubt they will design one to allow it.

Ā 

Yes, a bulkhead is like a Carnival cove.

58 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Take a look at photos from the infinite balconies again. The outside edge is all glassed in. So a sunroom, notĀ  fresh air balcony. Ships dissuade fresh air flowing into a cabin as it messes with the AC for you and your neighbors. There are always reminders to keep the balcony doors closed for this reason. So I doubt they will design one to allow it.

Ā 

Yes, a bulkhead is like a Carnival cove.

Hi mef-57:Ā  I've got the solo infinite balcony on Apex, Jan , 2022 on deck 6. Looks high enough for no splash,Ā  & I think the top half of window does open and I understand when you open it, room a/c shuts down, since you don't have door closingĀ  behind you into room? Take a look at the ones on Edge at cruisedeckplans dot com.Ā  HAL board will answer the open window question for sure! It can be a nice space either way?

Ā 

In either event by taking out the cabin door/or slider it makes the balcony part open to the cabin space & cabin should appear larger - andĀ  "balcony" area usable in rain. I think this is similar to our small 2 br Florida condo, where years ago we removed a triple slider door that went the full width of the back of our LR/DR going to a waterfront lanai.Ā Our screened lanai is now part of the a largerĀ open space.Ā  We love the open "feeling" of space it gives.Ā  (We moved the sliders to the outer edge to close in cool weather and so able to use Lanai even on a cool or rainy day.)( With a ceiling fan on lanai ceiling our unit's central A/C's capacityĀ Ā is sufficient for the add'l space under air.)

Ā 

What I'm not looking forward to is not having room for 2 in the closets, etc. All my cruises, except the 1st two have been solo in a balcony stateroom and I'm spoiled! But I think I'll be sitting "on the balcony" more!Ā 

12 minutes ago, FinelyRetired said:

Hi mef-57:Ā  I've got the solo infinite balcony on Apex, Jan , 2022 on deck 6. Looks high enough for no splash,Ā  & I think the top half of window does open and I understand when you open it, room a/c shuts down, since you don't have door closingĀ  behind you into room? Take a look at the ones on Edge at cruisedeckplans dot com.Ā  HAL board will answer the open window question for sure! It can be a nice space either way?

Ā 

In either event by taking out the cabin door/or slider it makes the balcony part open to the cabin space & cabin should appear larger - andĀ  "balcony" area usable in rain. I think this is similar to our small 2 br Florida condo, where years ago we removed a triple slider door that went the full width of the back of our LR/DR going to a waterfront lanai.Ā Our screened lanai is now part of the a largerĀ open space.Ā  We love the open "feeling" of space it gives.Ā  (We moved the sliders to the outer edge to close in cool weather and so able to use Lanai even on a cool or rainy day.)( With a ceiling fan on lanai ceiling our unit's central A/C's capacityĀ Ā is sufficient for the add'l space under air.)

Ā 

What I'm not looking forward to is not having room for 2 in the closets, etc. All my cruises, except the 1st two have been solo in a balcony stateroom and I'm spoiled! But I think I'll be sitting "on the balcony" more!Ā 

So, yes, it seems the upper window does open. The design does have appeal. I read a November extensive post on the Celebrity board with explanation, pros and cons. Interesting.

Seems the only shelf is under the safe and no drawers. Bring some travel cubes or similar for your underwear and drawer items. (That was an unfortunate design).

And enjoy the trip.

Ā 

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Take a look at photos from the infinite balconies again. The outside edge is all glassed in. So a sunroom, notĀ  fresh air balcony. Ships dissuade fresh air flowing into a cabin as it messes with the AC for you and your neighbors. There are always reminders to keep the balcony doors closed for this reason.

Ā 

33 minutes ago, FinelyRetired said:

I think the top half of window does open and I understand when you open it, room a/c shuts down, since you don't have door closingĀ  behind you into room

Ā 

FinelyRetired - took your advice and looked at cruisedeckplans.com. Found the infinite veranda stateroom on Edge. Yeah, from what I can see, it looks like the exterior of the balcony is an upper and lower window and the upper window does open. This would be a similar look/feel of a true balcony. I didn't know that there were these windows on the exterior of the balcony - I thought it was just open. Looks like I was right that the exterior wall of the stateroom folds open to open up the stateroom to the balcony (thus the term "infinite"). Interesting and makes sense that the AC would shut down when the balcony exterior upper window was open and the exterior stateroom wall was folded open.

Ā 

So, Celebrity's infinite veranda stateroom (I'm glad they also have them for solos) remains a goal. Just need to step up to that luxury level. Enjoy your solo infinite veranda stateroom on Apex in Jan 2022!

Going back to the thread topic:

Ā 

First post-covid cruise for me will be early March 2021 aboard Eurodom.Ā  Have never been to San Juan and will wander the old town and go to St John's out of St Thomas port another.Ā  I'll skip a port I don't care for,Ā  take a very long walk on HMC beach one day.Ā  Several sea days & thermal suite in the evenings before bed. (Last Jan I changed my usual pace and did my 1st restfulĀ  (carib) cruise. Loved it.Ā  Loved the thermal suite, nice Roll Call for sea day games, )

Ā 

Next summer 2021 will do 14 day B2B on Celebrity with 5 stops on Dalmatian coast.Ā  Loved Croatia & will now get to Slovenia, Montenegro and B-H. My first time aboard Celebrity.Ā 

Ā 

Hope I like Celebrity as I'll be on ApexĀ  1/2022 in carib 1wk and on Solstice 24 days 4/2022 for Japan and TP back to US.

25 minutes ago, FinelyRetired said:

Going back to the thread topic:

Ā 

First post-covid cruise for me will be early March 2021 aboard Eurodom.Ā  Have never been to San Juan and will wander the old town and go to St John's out of St Thomas port another.Ā  I'll skip a port I don't care for,Ā  take a very long walk on HMC beach one day.Ā  Several sea days & thermal suite in the evenings before bed. (Last Jan I changed my usual pace and did my 1st restfulĀ  (carib) cruise. Loved it.Ā  Loved the thermal suite, nice Roll Call for sea day games, )

Ā 

Next summer 2021 will do 14 day B2B on Celebrity with 5 stops on Dalmatian coast.Ā  Loved Croatia & will now get to Slovenia, Montenegro and B-H. My first time aboard Celebrity.Ā 

Ā 

Hope I like Celebrity as I'll be on ApexĀ  1/2022 in carib 1wk and on Solstice 24 days 4/2022 for Japan and TP back to US.

What's the thermal suite like on HAL ships? I loved NCL's version with the therapy pool, sauna, salt room, and heated loungers. RCL Quantum class doesn't seem to have any equivalent. Solstice has Persian Garden, which doesn't look quite as interesting as the Edge-class version but hopefully it'll be relaxing for that long cross-Pacific crossing.

Ā 

Sadly, I must update to say that my booking stroke of luck turned out to be a website error as confirmed by customer service this morning. But that's okay, I still have a Solstice Aqua cabin in a better location than my original booking and the low (in context) price leaves plenty of funds available for beverage and wifi packages.

Ā 

Edited by coastcat

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

What's the thermal suite like on HAL ships? I loved NCL's version with the therapy pool, sauna, salt room, and heated loungers. RCL Quantum class doesn't seem to have any equivalent. Solstice has Persian Garden, which doesn't look quite as interesting as the Edge-class version but hopefully it'll be relaxing for that long cross-Pacific crossing.

Ā 

Sadly, I must update to say that my booking stroke of luck turned out to be a website error as confirmed by customer service this morning. But that's okay, I still have a Solstice Aqua cabin in a better location than my original booking and the low (in context) price leaves plenty of funds available for beverage and wifi packages.

Ā 

Last January,Ā  HAL's Zuiderdam had, along with the heated tile loungers,Ā  a largeĀ  Hydro Pool with w. in pool stainless loungers, just like NCL..Ā  If there was aromatherpy I didn't look for it.Ā  cruisedeckplans dot com shows a similar set up on HAL Eurodam I booked for next March.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Never saw these on any RCL ship I've been on, but I took a hiatus from cruising '16-'18 during family illnesses and haven't been on RCL since.Ā  Sad to hear new builds on RCL haven't put these in.Ā  Then again, my favorite thing about them is that in my experience they are remarkably under-utilized, and of course quiet places.

Ā 

But like you said, NCL's version on the Gem which I was on to Bermuda last summer was the best, most compact version I've seen. Some years ago, I fell in love with the few stone loungers that popped up here and there on ships.Ā  But I never cared for hot tubs.Ā  Too hot for me and because they always warn about staying in too long, makes me uncomfortable. I love the cooler hydro pools and the "stations" for various things and the waterfall jet back massage!

Ā 

On a port intensive cruise I usually just rest in cabin after a long day and do late seating MDR.Ā  Love to chat about everyone's day.Ā  On an easier cruise I do early seating or even buffet and theĀ Thermal Suite areaĀ  is my evening entertainment.

Edited by FinelyRetired
add
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

Solo cruise booked January 9thĀ  2001 on the EncoreĀ  out of Miami this is my 3 rd date change since Covid started. I have my doubts we will be sailing anytime soonĀ before late spring here in the US.Ā 

Fingers crossed that youā€™ll be aboard! I think the newest ships will be returned to service first (more profitable at the lower occupancy levels expected for now), and that bodes well for Encore.Ā 
Ā 

My bookings have changed a bit since I started this thread back in July. My first cruise will be, if all goes well, in April on NCL Blissā€™s repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver.Ā 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

Solo cruise booked January 9thĀ  2001 on the EncoreĀ  out of Miami this is my 3 rd date change since Covid started. I have my doubts we will be sailing anytime soonĀ before late spring here in the US.Ā 

2001???

Have any of you guys (and girls) looked at Costa? Don't be put off because its a Italian line, in my experience there are always English speaking guests and all the staff speak English. There are usually good solo deals to be had.

Using vouchers from previous cancelled cruises here are my latest booked cruises with them.....

Ā 

Costa Facinosa 21 nights, 2nd December 2021.Ā Ā Savona - Guadeloupe Ā£636 sterling, internal cabin

https://www.costacruises.co.uk/cruises.html#occupancy_GBP_anonymous=A&{!tag=destinationTag}destinationIds=CA,TR&{!tag=departTag}departDate=2021-12-01T00:00:00Z&{!tag=durationTag}duration=&{!tag=embarkTag}embarkPortCode=&flightPackage_GBP_anonymous=&{!tag=shipsTag}shipId=&{!tag=portsTag}portsOfCall=&soldOut=false&sort=departDate asc&group.sort=departDate asc&guestAges=30

Ā 

Costa Pacifica 19 nights, March 2022. Dubai .- Rome Ā£870 sterling, inside cabin.

https://www.costacruises.co.uk/cruises.html#occupancy_GBP_anonymous=A&{!tag=destinationTag}destinationIds=CA,TR&{!tag=departTag}departDate=2021-12-01T00:00:00Z&{!tag=durationTag}duration=&{!tag=embarkTag}embarkPortCode=&flightPackage_GBP_anonymous=&{!tag=shipsTag}shipId=&{!tag=portsTag}portsOfCall=&soldOut=false&sort=departDate asc&group.sort=departDate asc&guestAges=30

Ā 

I have one more voucher and i am looking at Barcelona to Rio next November, but have not made my mind up yet.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

In May I had the Encore from NY to Bermuda that returned the day before Memorial Day (which was earlier in the month- important for work reasons). I had the same week on the Escape in 2018 and it was great. Typically, I like going on the NCL studio ships from NYC that have Howl at The Moon. (I did go to Florida once).

Ā 

I probably wasn't cruising to begin with in 2021, but don't think I would consider before August 2022 at this point maybe 2023.

I found a Breakaway from NYC going to Canada (did that routeĀ  in 2018 might not want to do it again) or an Alaska which would be a cross country flight.

Ā 

2022 is a big birthday- can anyone make any suggestions?Ā 

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

Time for a bucket list cruise!

• A balcony - perhaps even an aft balcony - on an Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay National Park
  • Your favorite ship or itinerary but in a plush suite (NCL Haven, RCL Royal Suite Class, MSC Yacht Club, etc)
  • Transatlantic or transpacific if you cherish those sea days and want to visit Asia/Europe for a few days as well
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HowardK said:

In May I had the Encore from NY to Bermuda that returned the day before Memorial Day (which was earlier in the month- important for work reasons). I had the same week on the Escape in 2018 and it was great. Typically, I like going on the NCL studio ships from NYC that have Howl at The Moon. (I did go to Florida once).

Ā 

I probably wasn't cruising to begin with in 2021, but don't think I would consider before August 2022 at this point maybe 2023.

I found a Breakaway from NYC going to Canada (did that routeĀ  in 2018 might not want to do it again) or an Alaska which would be a cross country flight.

Ā 

Ā 

If you're retired by 2022 and have lots of time on your hands -> how about going all out and doing a world cruise solo?! Talk about a bucket list item! I know, very far-fetched but do-able.

Ā 

Good luck with whatever you decide and happy pending big birthday in 2022.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:48 PM, coastcat said:

Fingers crossed that youā€™ll be aboard! I think the newest ships will be returned to service first (more profitable at the lower occupancy levels expected for now), and that bodes well for Encore.Ā 
Ā 

My bookings have changed a bit since I started this thread back in July. My first cruise will be, if all goes well, in April on NCL Blissā€™s repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver.Ā 

I am excited to see the Encore and I want to cruise on the Bliss as well. I hope Norwegian still has the solo events with the new CovidĀ  restrictions.Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Ā 

If you're retired by 2022 and have lots of time on your hands -> how about going all out and doing a world cruise solo?! Talk about a bucket list item! I know, very far-fetched but do-able.

Ā 

Good luck with whatever you decide and happy pending big birthday in 2022.

Hi- I'll still be working- but was going to look for something 7-9 days total including travel time. However, I still might wait until 2023 or so based on what happens.Ā 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coastcat said:

Time for a bucket list cruise!

• A balcony - perhaps even an aft balcony - on an Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay National Park
  • Your favorite ship or itinerary but in a plush suite (NCL Haven, RCL Royal Suite Class, MSC Yacht Club, etc)
  • Transatlantic or transpacific if you cherish those sea days and want to visit Asia/Europe for a few days as well

Great ideas! I don't know if I mentioned it here but I had a $1 hold on the Bliss last August from Seattle to Alaska ( I didn't go as I had several things that month - Aerosmith concerts, Billy Joel a Broadway show and some music group I am in had a meeting). I looked at Seattle and was especially interested in the computer museum.Ā Ā 

On the Escape I had a aft balcony- actually preferred the mid because it was cooler weatherwise but realize this would be different. They actually had bids for the Haven starting at $400 on that sailing, but it would have been 2x- they would have charged a supplement.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I had a $1 hold on the Bliss last August from Seattle to Alaska ( I didn't go as I had several things that month - Aerosmith concerts, Billy Joel a Broadway show and some music group I am in had a meeting).

Ā 

"last August", you mean August of 2019 right? I don't think anyone was going to concerts or Broadway shows in August 2020 due to covid.

Ā 

Btw, Aerosmith concerts (plural?). You ROCK @HowardK! I love Aerosmith...šŸ¤˜

• Like 1