Let's start thinking about 2021 solo sailing

coastcat

12 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

This from HI to Papeete looks pretty sweet though.  14 days... lot's of sea days and lot's to sea along the way.

I get it, lot's to "sea" along the way, lol. When I was looking at this cruise, I was communicating with some folks here on CC that were going to do a B2B on the Jewel between Honolulu, HI and Papeete, Tahiti. That would be 28 days on a cruise ship! Wow, and I thought I wanted to do longer cruises (11 or 12 day minimum)!!

Cheers 🥂!

3 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

So, to further this discussion I have a question:  does anyone follow the this thread about the new Leonardo class ship: 

I've been following this thread for a while. Look at that gorgeous rendering, pretty nice IMO.  

Yeah Connie, I'm following this thread as well. Being done by @FreestyleNovice, who is very knowledgeable!

I could picture myself in such an Atrium on a brand new Leonardo class ship!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, farmersfight said:

That would be 28 days on a cruise ship! Wow, and I thought I wanted to do longer cruises (11 or 12 day minimum)!!

LOL, I know it sounds like a long time on a ship but considering the length of time you'd also spend on land exploring, I expect the time would fly by.  My longest cruise, a B2B (Copenhagen to Dover UK then Dover to TPA FL) was 25 days on NCL Star back in 2015 so I'm not against longer cruises and this would seem to fill the bill for both exploration and relaxation.  

23 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

My longest cruise, a B2B (Copenhagen to Dover UK then Dover to TPA FL) was 25 days on NCL Star back in 2015 so I'm not against longer cruises

Wow Connie, awesome! My longest  has been 12 days (on the Carnival Dream Med cruise I mentioned before). However, if you count my time as a maritime cadet, I've done multiple 60 day summer cruises on our training ship (Texas Clipper) and also as a cadet, shipped out commercially for 60 days on a U.S. flag freight ship (Letitia Lykes) on a TP, roundtrip out of SF/Oakland, California.

Believe me, sailing as a cadet on a training or merchant ship is an entirely different experience than sailing as a passenger on a cruise ship (with your DOD in hand while soaking  in the hot tub. As a cadet, the only thing you had in your hand was a paint brush and/or scraper, lol).

Cheers 🍻!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

So, to further this discussion I have a question:  does anyone follow the this thread about the new Leonardo class ship: 

I've been following this thread for a while. Look at that gorgeous rendering, pretty nice IMO.  

Indeed. It just looks so... adult? Sophisticated? Let’s go!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coastcat said:

YES, let's go!

Not sure if you've been on any MSC ships, I've only cruised on 1, the Divina. It's a beautiful ship. So pretty and yes, sophisticated.  I'm hoping the newer NCL ships will be similar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

Look at that gorgeous rendering, pretty nice IMO.  

@All-ready2cruise

Yeah, this Leonardo-class ship's atrium will be a 180 from Carnival's Fantasy-class;

image.jpeg.90054a3bb6b6663ff4dd9b950d2a7b62.jpeg

*sorry for the repeat pic but couldn't resist...

Edited by farmersfight
  • Haha 1

I'm sad because I just cancelled my April 2021 NCL Bliss Pacific Coastal cruise, but pleased because I replaced it with the same itinerary in May 2022. This time it'll be on NCL Encore in a Studio. With the April cruise off the schedule, that leaves two NCL cruises in 2021, both on Bliss and both covered 100% by FCC with just enough left over for a Thermal Suite pass and a whale watching excursion in Cabo. Perfect.

Celebrity released its late 2022 cruises but my September 2021 transpacific isn't eligible for Lift & Shift unless they extend it. Booking an Aqua Class as a solo traveler on the 2022 TP is... yikes. Nope. However, that means I have autumn 2022 open for the Leonardo-class TA so it's all good!

10 hours ago, coastcat said:

I'm sad because I just cancelled my April 2021 NCL Bliss Pacific Coastal cruise, but pleased because I replaced it with the same itinerary in May 2022. This time it'll be on NCL Encore in a Studio. With the April cruise off the schedule, that leaves two NCL cruises in 2021, both on Bliss and both covered 100% by FCC with just enough left over for a Thermal Suite pass and a whale watching excursion in Cabo. Perfect.

Celebrity released its late 2022 cruises but my September 2021 transpacific isn't eligible for Lift & Shift unless they extend it. Booking an Aqua Class as a solo traveler on the 2022 TP is... yikes. Nope. However, that means I have autumn 2022 open for the Leonardo-class TA so it's all good!

Hi @coastcat, yeah, I'm sure you did the right thing by cancelling your April 2021 NCL Bliss Pacific Coastal cruise. Imo, April 2021 is still still soon (covid situation). Imho, I'm still guessing 2nd half of 2021 (July-Dec). I've got PoA booked for Oct 23-30, 2021.

Cruise to the Mexican Riviera is still on my "to do (aka bucket) list". Tried to do it with my 2 sons, but their college schedules are not allowing it. So, I booked another solo cruise (#5); Allure OTS - 14 day TA on April 24 - May 8, 2022 (from Port Everglades, FL to Barcelona, Spain).

May I ask, on your two NCL Bliss cruises in 2021, what months? And, what are the cruise itineraries?

Maybe I'll join you in autumn 2022 on the new Leonardo-class on its TA. Maybe NCL will put in some studio balcony cabins (like RCL's Quantum-class ships have) on their Leonardo-class ships!

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Hi @coastcat, yeah, I'm sure you did the right thing by cancelling your April 2021 NCL Bliss Pacific Coastal cruise. Imo, April 2021 is still still soon (covid situation). Imho, I'm still guessing 2nd half of 2021 (July-Dec). I've got PoA booked for Oct 23-30, 2021.

Cruise to the Mexican Riviera is still on my "to do (aka bucket) list". Tried to do it with my 2 sons, but their college schedules are not allowing it. So, I booked another solo cruise (#5); Allure OTS - 14 day TA on April 24 - May 8, 2022 (from Port Everglades, FL to Barcelona, Spain).

May I ask, on your two NCL Bliss cruises in 2021, what months? And, what are the cruise itineraries?

Maybe I'll join you in autumn 2022 on the new Leonardo-class on its TA. Maybe NCL will put in some studio balcony cabins (like RCL's Quantum-class ships have) on their Leonardo-class ships!

The Bliss cruises are the October 24 repositioning cruise and December 26 holiday cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I’m in a Studio for the holiday one - it’ll be nice to have a solo-oriented retreat available on a sailing crowded with families. I’m also in a Studio for October but might switch to a balcony.

Hopefully NCL will release details about the first Leonardo ship soon. Oh yes, it would be splendid if they added some solo balconies. Heck, I’d love a solo-friendly type of Haven cabin because I just can’t justify the splurge otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

I've only read one page back. Anyone booking the solo cabins on rcl just for regular cruises? Alaska had a great deal on quantum for a while, but it was only a couple of weeks from getting back from a b2b. 

2 weeks is the maximum I can be away due to elderly parents., maybe some day I can do something more adventurous.  

Rcl hides these cabins, they dont show on rcl booking engine. Have to find on a big box site to even price them out. I had 3 rcl reps tell me they dont exist when I called about them. Now using a ta lol. 

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've only read one page back. Anyone booking the solo cabins on rcl just for regular cruises? Alaska had a great deal on quantum for a while, but it was only a couple of weeks from getting back from a b2b. 

2 weeks is the maximum I can be away due to elderly parents., maybe some day I can do something more adventurous.  

Rcl hides these cabins, they dont show on rcl booking engine. Have to find on a big box site to even price them out. I had 3 rcl reps tell me they dont exist when I called about them. Now using a ta lol. 

I’m booked on a 7-day Alaska cruise on Quantum OTS next June in a Studio Balcony. I think that category is completely sold out (or close to it) on Quantum for the Alaska 2021 season. I haven’t checked lately, but when I last looked there were still Studio Balconies available on some of the 2021 Ovation sailings in Alaska.

The single cabins do show up if they’re available. With only 12 single-occupancy balcony cabins per Quantum-class ship, the challenge is finding the specific sailings with that availability. 

23 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I’m booked on a 7-day Alaska cruise on Quantum OTS next June in a Studio Balcony. I think that category is completely sold out (or close to it) on Quantum for the Alaska 2021 season. I haven’t checked lately, but when I last looked there were still Studio Balconies available on some of the 2021 Ovation sailings in Alaska.

The single cabins do show up if they’re available. With only 12 single-occupancy balcony cabins per Quantum-class ship, the challenge is finding the specific sailings with that availability. 

Dont show up for me on rcl site, but I can see them on other sites I cant name.

Yes was a terrific price for a solo cabin for may 1 on quantum I saw, but my b2b out of Galveston gets back in april 2022, I'm hoping to grab a solo deal on quantum for 2023. Congrats on grabbing a solo cabin fast. Next time they release alaska I'll know I gotta act the day they come out. 

Luckily I've been to alaska, no hurry. 

I do have some great solo deals booked luckily, and some new releases not so great. Rcl and others seem to be raising prices, no deals for solos I can find. If you find one going forward let me know. 

And yes I looked thru alaska recently, way too expensive for me to jump. Has to be a deal to book a solo cabin, as you only get 1 loyalty pt, I get 2 on all the bookings I have, but would make a exception for a great price. In fact last time I looked a inside virtual balcony was priced less than a tiny solo inside.. terrible deals imo. I'll wait.

Edited by firefly333

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes was a terrific price for a solo cabin for may 1 on quantum I saw, but my b2b out of Galveston gets back in april 2022, I'm hoping to grab a solo deal on quantum for 2023. Congrats on grabbing a solo cabin fast. Next time they release alaska I'll know I gotta act the day they come out. 

I do have some great solo deals booked luckily, and some new releases not so great. Rcl and others seem to be raising prices, no deals for solos I can find. If you find one going forward let me know. 

And yes I looked thru alaska recently, way too expensive for me to jump. Has to be a deal to book a solo cabin, as you only get 1 loyalty pt, I get 2 on all the bookings I have, but would make a exception for a great price. In fact last time I looked a inside virtual balcony was priced less than a tiny solo inside.. terrible deals imo. I'll wait.

As @coastcat pointed out, I believe the studio balcony cabins on RCL's Quantum-class ships have to be available for them to show on RCL's web site when attempting to book online.

That has been my experience, as well.

I feel fortunate to have 2 studio balcony cabins booked; 1 on the Anthem OTS & the other on the Odyssey OTS. These cruises are not until Jan 2022 & Feb 2022 respectively, so I booked way in advance...probably why I was able to snag those studio balcony cabins.

1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

As @coastcat pointed out, I believe the studio balcony cabins on RCL's Quantum-class ships have to be available for them to show on RCL's web site when attempting to book online.

That has been my experience, as well.

I feel fortunate to have 2 studio balcony cabins booked; 1 on the Anthem OTS & the other on the Odyssey OTS. These cruises are not until Jan 2022 & Feb 2022 respectively, so I booked way in advance...probably why I was able to snag those studio balcony cabins.

Again I havent had them always show up. On explorer or jewel I called because I could see them elsewhere. First guy told me they were a glitch, he would call IT and have them removed. 2nd guy similar. Another time I talked to a lady in crown in anchor who argued and I told her which deck they were on.

Maybe it's those 2 ships, but they no longer show up because some dingaling at rcl called IT to have them removed from whatever ship it was, maybe it was jewel. 

I'm not saying they dont appear on newer ships, but I am saying the inside solo cabins no longer appeared on those 2 ships after IT removed them. I had to go to another site to see them

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Alaska is flippin' expensive in a normal year. The 2021 season may not start as scheduled, which will drive demand and prices even higher. For 2022 I'm just going to wait and see if any last-minute solo discounts turn up, since I live within easy driving distance of Seattle & Vancouver and have a flexible work schedule. Not holding my breath for any sweet discounts, though.

19 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Alaska is flippin' expensive in a normal year. The 2021 season may not start as scheduled, which will drive demand and prices even higher. For 2022 I'm just going to wait and see if any last-minute solo discounts turn up, since I live within easy driving distance of Seattle & Vancouver and have a flexible work schedule. Not holding my breath for any sweet discounts, though.

Yea I think chances of 2021 season very slim since canada says they wouldnt open their border. My ta is in canada, so I believe he knows. I got 9 other bookings, I'm full up for a while.  

How safe is seattle really to stay in these days? I dont like what I hear, though I know residents seem to think it's perfectly safe for a single female. I'm in no hurry to go. Just had seen such a good price I was tempted. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Yea I think chances of 2021 season very slim since canada says they wouldnt open their border. My ta is in canada, so I believe he knows. I got 9 other bookings, I'm full up for a while.  

How safe is seattle really to stay in these days? I dont like what I hear, though I know residents seem to think it's perfectly safe for a single female. I'm in no hurry to go. Just had seen such a good price I was tempted. 

Seattle is fine. Well, let me rephrase that. Seattle is experiencing its normal level of protest and dissent, but tourist areas are fine.

I'm so impatient for the border opening! I like to spend my fall vacation in the Canadian Rockies, and my husband & I enjoy half-day trips up to suburban Vancouver to have lunch followed by a visit to a Tim Horton's.

Nine other bookings? Over what period of time? All solo trips? For far I've got four solo cruises booked in 2021, four in 2022, and one in 2023. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in my Canada trips as well.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Again I havent had them always show up. On explorer or jewel I called because I could see them elsewhere.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not saying they dont appear on newer ships, but I am saying the inside solo cabins no longer appeared on those 2 ships after IT removed them. I had to go to another site to see them

Hi @firefly333,

I think we may be talking apples vs oranges here. I was referring only to those studio balcony cabins on RCL's Quantum-class ships. I see from the above that you are referencing the Explorer OTS or Jewel OTS, which I'm pretty sure do not have studio balcony cabins. I'm unfamiliar with the older RCL ships so I don't know what they have for studio (solo) cabins. On the 2 Quantum-class ships (Anthem OTS & Odyssey OTS) I was able to see those studio balcony cabins online (on the RCL website during the booking process) and actually book them. As I mentioned, they were probably available and I was able to book them because the cruises are so far out.

I see that you are in the 70,000+ post club here on CC. Wow, you are a veteran! Congrats! Heck, I was happy when I just crossed over 1,000 posts recently. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Texas are you in? I lived in Houston for the majority of my working career and went to Texas A&M University at Galveston.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

How safe is seattle really to stay in these days? I dont like what I hear, though I know residents seem to think it's perfectly safe for a single female.

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

Seattle is fine. Well, let me rephrase that. Seattle is experiencing its normal level of protest and dissent, but tourist areas are fine.

Yeah, I didn't like hearing about what was going on in Seattle also, so I'm glad you clarified that the tourist areas are fine. I've never been to Seattle but I want to visit. I always thought Seattle was such a beautiful, modern (i.e. space needle) and major city with scenic geography surrounding it. As a maritime guy, I also appreciate Seattle's rich maritime history & presence. Not sure about the yearly rain amounts there though, lol.

followed by a visit to a Tim Horton's.

Ah yes...Tim Horton's (yumm). The Dunkin' Donuts of the "Great White North". I've had the pleasure of visiting a few Tim Horton's when I was visiting in both Quebec and Ontario, Canada.

Nine other bookings? Over what period of time? All solo trips? For far I've got four solo cruises booked in 2021, four in 2022, and one in 2023.

You guys are "killin' me" with your 9 bookings. I've now got 5 (all solo), 2 in late 2021 and the other 3 in early 2022. I'm going to hold at 5 for now. I want to see how this plays out (cruising starting back up, people getting vaccinated, etc), especially for late 2021.

Remember @coastcat, I want a full report after your Quantum OTS solo cruise (in a studio balcony) as I will be on her sisters, Anthem OTS and the brand new Odyssey OTS (a Quantum Ultra class). 😉 Jk - any feedback would be greatly appreciated though...

Edited by farmersfight

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Hi @firefly333,

I think we may be talking apples vs oranges here. I was referring only to those studio balcony cabins on RCL's Quantum-class ships. I see from the above that you are referencing the Explorer OTS or Jewel OTS, which I'm pretty sure do not have studio balcony cabins. I'm unfamiliar with the older RCL ships so I don't know what they have for studio (solo) cabins. On the 2 Quantum-class ships (Anthem OTS & Odyssey OTS) I was able to see those studio balcony cabins online 

Only a few and they are insides, but these are the ones I've had 3 rcl reps tell me dont exist. 2w is the category. One ship has 3 and the other has 5, so not many but they do exist. Just as I said be aware regular loyalty pts not double. And later on as the ship fills up the prices can cost more than a regular cabin. Rcl has crazy prices. Book them early. With reduced capacity lately rcl hasn't been pricing them well. And they are only about 100 sf, but have everything you need.

On jewel, the ones in gold are solo cabins without a supplement. I only follow ships out of Galveston but I'm told same on same class ship in the fleet. I looked on explorer and says deck 2, but the deck plans didnt have them marked, lol. But look on big online sites for 2w if you need a solo cabin pricing. Idk why they make them so hard to find. They do exist. 

20201219_084122808.jpeg

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Only a few and they are insides, but these are the ones I've had 3 rcl reps tell me dont exist. 2w is the category. One ship has 3 and the other has 5, so not many but they do exist.

Wow, those aren't very many at all. Wonder why RCl even bothered, with that few. At least on each Quantum-class ship, they have 12 studio balcony cabins.

they are only about 100 sf, but have everything you need.

Only a few and they are insides

They sound like NCL's studio cabins (interiors at 99 sq ft).

Lol I found a current list I think of rcl solo cabins. One ship only has 2 per this list. Grab em when first released, the price jumps fast.

Not sure I can post that site, but I did find a list. Slim pickings indeed

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1