Re the virus - what about the bathrooms?

lucymorgan

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

Your rather gratuitous swipe at Asians was unnecessary.

I don't think that was the case at all.  I saw a group of Asians coughing.  I say I saw a group of Asians coughing.  I don't see how that is an uncalled for or unwarranted swipe at someone.   Seems we are being just a little too sensitive.  

Now, the other day an elderly Asian couple were verbally accosted by some trashy white women at our local supermarket.  That was unnecessary and not to be tolerated.  

• Like 1

If I had even the remotest suspicion that I had been infected I would get an anti-body test and find out one way or the other, definitively, rather than stay in a fog of uncertainty.  Especially as a positive antibody test would mean that I was now basically immune for both giving or getting an infection going forward.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the US one of the ways you can get a free antibody test is to give blood.  They are required to test for covid antibodies.  And if you're positive you can, if you choose, donate plasma to be used to treat people with active infections.  And while I've been unable to give blood for years, I am now off blood thinners and can do it, and I am considering it, as I was a frequent donor in my younger days and none of my current meds disqualifies me.

29 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If I had even the remotest suspicion that I had been infected I would get an anti-body test and find out one way or the other, definitively, rather than stay in a fog of uncertainty.  Especially as a positive antibody test would mean that I was now basically immune for both giving or getting an infection going forward.

Maybe not

From the CDC

If you test positive or negative for COVID-19 on a viral or an antibody test, you still should take preventive measures to protect yourself and others.

We do not know yet if people who recover from COVID-19 can get infected again.  Scientists are working to understand this.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I personally cannot but for people who can I wonder how many people are allowed in a bathroom .Perhaps 5 and there are 6 outside who desperately have to relieve themselves.

Then you must fall in the very, very low number of people who cannot even manage with a handicapped stall.

As for bathroom capacity, that would depend on the number of cubicles in each. Some are larger than others. Having to wait outside due to demand- welcome to a woman's  world. We've been dealing with that for as long as public restrooms have existed. You cross your legs and wait your turn, or find another restroom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mom says said:

Then you must fall in the very, very low number of people who cannot even manage with a handicapped stall.

As for bathroom capacity, that would depend on the number of cubicles in each. Some are larger than others. Having to wait outside due to demand- welcome to a woman's  world. We've been dealing with that for as long as public restrooms have existed. You cross your legs and wait your turn, or find another restroom.

My New Years Resolution was to not get into an argumentative discussion with Mom Says. I cannot sit on a conventional toilet at home either. 
I shall refrain from posting about bathrooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My New Years Resolution was to not get into an argumentative discussion with Mom Says. I cannot sit on a conventional toilet at home either. 
I shall refrain from posting about bathrooms.

No need to refrain, Len. I was just acknowledging that you fall outside the norm. As do I, a little bit, since we had raised toilets installed in our home due to my own disability. Luckily the handicap stalls usually work fine for me. But us ladies do know about standing in long lines for the next available stall.

Just now, mom says said:

No need to refrain, Len. I was just acknowledging that you fall outside the norm. As do I, a little bit, since we had raised toilets installed in our home due to my own disability. Luckily the handicap stalls usually work fine for me. But us ladies do know about standing in long lines for the next available stall.

We have a raised toilet seat in the upstairs bathroom because I am bed 21 hours a day.

Prior to being diagnosed with Parkinson’s and several other medical problems we bought raised toilet seats if we were going to be in a hotel  and we would dispose of it after checking out .

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I personally cannot but for people who can I wonder how many people are allowed in a bathroom .Perhaps 5 and there are 6 outside who desperately have to relieve themselves.

Most of our pubs/breweries/restaurants are open and washrooms have signage on the door requesting only 1 person/family bubble at a time. The deck outside has marks every 6' in the event of a queue outside.

This is our new normal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

And the corollary to that is we guys get to wait after finishing our bathroom "business" for our ladies to finish theirs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the US one of the ways you can get a free antibody test is to give blood.  They are required to test for covid antibodies.  And if you're positive you can, if you choose, donate plasma to be used to treat people with active infections.  And while I've been unable to give blood for years, I am now off blood thinners and can do it, and I am considering it, as I was a frequent donor in my younger days and none of my current meds disqualifies me.

Your information is incorrect. The CDC does not consider you immune if you have antibody. You probably are but no one has proven o e way or the other. You would still need to wear a mask where they are required. 
The Mayo Clinic blood bank does not routinely check donor blood for antibodies. Even if you have an antibody test and are positive, you need to have had a positive COVID swab test to donate for treatment. 

Of the large number of people who swear they had COVID in Jan/Feb, not one has reported a positive ab test. This is based on the results of thousands of employees who have been tested 

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Go to their cabin.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And the corollary to that is we guys get to wait after finishing our bathroom "business" for our ladies to finish theirs.

For the life of me I've never understood why it takes women so doggone long to pee. And I'm a woman.

21 minutes ago, clo said:

For the life of me I've never understood why it takes women so doggone long to pee. And I'm a woman.

Sweetie, you know why. Men have the luxury of both urinals and stalls. We've only got stalls. Then we've got more clothing that needs to be rearranged before and after. And then there's the handwashing.  And the almost irresistible  urge to check out and fix our hair/makeup at the sink mirror  before finally exiting.  😁

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Most of our pubs/breweries/restaurants are open and washrooms have signage on the door requesting only 1 person/family bubble at a time. The deck outside has marks every 6' in the event of a queue outside.

This is our new normal.

The new normal may never end.

8 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The antibody tests are not accurate and it isn't yet known whether having had the virus gives immunity.  I know a number  of people who are epidemiologists and that is what they have told me.

I would like to give blood and I am O negative so would be a universal donor but sadly because of earlier treatment I cannot.  😞   

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Sweetie, you know why. Men have the luxury of both urinals and stalls. We've only got stalls. Then we've got more clothing that needs to be rearranged before and after. And then there's the handwashing.  And the almost irresistible  urge to check out and fix our hair/makeup at the sink mirror  before finally exiting.  😁

No, no, no 🙂 I'm talking about in and out of the stall. Okay, we have to pull things down and the guy just unzip. But it still seems to take women way too long.  LOL.

26 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

The antibody tests are not accurate and it isn't yet known whether having had the virus gives immunity.  I know a number  of people who are epidemiologists and that is what they have told me.

We saw an interview with Tom Hanks on the news. He said their antibody levels are dropping so maybe they can get it again. And he said to wear the [damn] mask.

8 hours ago, clo said:

No, no, no 🙂 I'm talking about in and out of the stall. Okay, we have to pull things down and the guy just unzip. But it still seems to take women way too long.  LOL.

Really, has there been a study on comparing the timing?

I think it is more like the answer from @mom says, there is a difference in bathroom capacity between mostly urinals with some stalls as opposed to only stalls.