China Travel Warning

31 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Govt warns Australians could face arbitrary detention. 

Sounds serious!  Not a way to make friends!  Lucky we can't travel overseas at present.  

There’s no cruises there so why go.

A cruise travel blog popped up on a YouTube feed I was watching that suggested cruise lines were far from impressed with their entry into the Chinese market , and were looking to reposition ships elsewhere, (pre COVID) 

17 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

A cruise travel blog popped up on a YouTube feed I was watching that suggested cruise lines were far from impressed with their entry into the Chinese market , and were looking to reposition ships elsewhere, (pre COVID) 

With the latest warning, it looks like future Chinese cruises will be limited to the Chinese market.  Not what cruise lines would have planned when they invested in the Chinese market.  

Times like this you have to feel sorry for the cruise industry.  

As long as the cruise companies follow all the rules the Chinese government sets, they'll probably keep them on for a while, until their own cruise industry can be successful. So not at this point.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, MicCanberra said:

It is such a shame things have deteriorated this far. I like Hong Kong and using it as a stepping stone for cruises.

Hong Kong is a beautiful place but i don't think we will go there again. We really love Singapore as a stopover.

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

China now warns citizens of arbitrary searches in Australia and upgrades travel warnings. 

Chinese propaganda and they probably believe it over there.  No wonder some of the Hong Kongers want to escape to UK and Straya.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:43 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Singapore has become too expensive these days although you can still get good cheap food at hawker stalls and local restaurants. But it's a nice place to visit occasionally.

Yes, well were were having 8 nights in Singa post Majestic Princess from Sydney and pre Arcadia to Southampton.  But that was all cancelled in November when my wife was diagnosed, well before Covid times. Due to covid those cruises were canned anyway, Majestic terminated at Freo and Arcadia skipped Singa. We had no trouble getting deposits back etc.

But on the subject of expensive Singapore, I noted that when searching for good hotels, I booked the Ascott, studio, it was not cheap, but they gave me my deposits back.  We had stayed in Singapore 2 or 3 times for a few days to and from Europe, so saw a bit.  Like you I preferred Singa to HK. 

Edited by NSWP

41 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

China now warns citizens of arbitrary searches in Australia and upgrades travel warnings. 

Do you have a link?

Things are escalating now the US has declared Chinas  claim to the South China Sea as unlawful .

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/moves-block-chinese-claims-south-china-sea-200713191231562.html

Edited by Chiliburn

Just now, Chiliburn said:

That’s pretty bad that a government tell lies like that.

Whats new, China told porkies re Covid19, did they not ?  I don't want to get too political. This is not a political site.